Speculation: Offseason Thread Pt V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Stop playing the victim. It's a bad look for us.

Oh, I'm not. I actually don't give a shit at all. Just pointing out the reality of it. People bemoaned the Rags ability to sign players. This is part of the reason why. That's all.

Reactions: Strummergas

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Chapin, you said... "Well, problem with this train of thought is that these two would hardly ever be in the same spot.

Not unless Koivula would be on the island. But if Boyle (or any NHL center) is signed, what are the chances of that?

So when and how would he be mentoring him? Even training camp is only like 7 days long nowadays. It's not the 3-4 week venture you saw in the 80s."

I could see Boyle on a 2 year gig, where LL slowly eases Koivula into the spot. Give Koivula a good look this year, but have him spend most of the year in BP, and next year, kinda platoon them.

I guess I see a guy like Boyle with lots of character, and I think, "How can we cash in on that?"

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Chapin, you said... "Well, problem with this train of thought is that these two would hardly ever be in the same spot.

Not unless Koivula would be on the island. But if Boyle (or any NHL center) is signed, what are the chances of that?

So when and how would he be mentoring him? Even training camp is only like 7 days long nowadays. It's not the 3-4 week venture you saw in the 80s."

I could see Boyle on a 2 year gig, where LL slowly eases Koivula into the spot. Give Koivula a good look this year, but have him spend most of the year in BP, and next year, kinda platoon them.

I guess I see a guy like Boyle with lots of character, and I think, "How can we cash in on that?"

I think there are too many guys on the roster to platoon anyone at this point. We're going to have to waive guys as is. Maybe they'll make a move or two that would make that possible though.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I think there are too many guys on the roster to platoon anyone at this point. We're going to have to waive guys as is. Maybe they'll make a move or two that would make that possible though.

And they have 9 NHL defenseman (assuming dobson is ready as they day). Somethings gotta give!

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Interesting bit in last Newsday article:

Beauvillier, who played center in junior hockey but has played almost exclusively on the wing as a pro, is among the potential replacements for Filppula. Lamoriello also included Tanner Fritz, Otto Koivula and college signings Mason Jobst and Bobo Carpenter as those who could compete for the role.
Wouldn't mind giving him a shot.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Beauvillier, who played center in junior hockey but has played almost exclusively on the wing as a pro, is among the potential replacements for Filppula. Lamoriello also included Tanner Fritz, Otto Koivula and college signings Mason Jobst and Bobo Carpenter as those who could compete for the role.
I'd like it too, even just to see.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

With Boyle at 35 years old and in remission from leukemia I can’t see any team offering him more than a 1 year contract.

I wish him well but I don’t think we need him. Of Koivula has a good camp he should be 3C.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I don't like the idea of Beau at center, really. His game isn't rounded enough and hasn't evolved, so I'm skeptical that it will. He's fine as a shooter with a motor, but he doesn't seem to have the wits or strength to be an effective pivot.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

from what I recall Josh Bailey was a fine center in junior. Not sure why it's given he must play wing?

What do I know? I'm half a goombah living in NE Florida.

Reactions: dood

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Beau is better suited at wing, using his straight ahead speed to get in on the forecheck and shoot. He isn’t aware enough defensively.

I’d like them to bring in a 3C and a top 6 scorer. Hoping Dobson or Aho play so well that Leddy becomes expendable for a winger.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't like the idea of Beau at center, really. His game isn't rounded enough and hasn't evolved, so I'm skeptical that it will. He's fine as a shooter with a motor, but he doesn't seem to have the wits or strength to be an effective pivot.

Beauvillier was a center in junior and was considered a 2 way player. Beyond that his faceoff winning percentage was like 60%+. Given the Islander lack of top center prospects I think they would be stupid not to try Beauvillier at Center just to see what he has.

As somebody else pointed out Trying Bailey at Center is another option. I think his game might actually work at center as well

Reactions: dood

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I don't know if I like Beau at center to be honest. He needs to work on simplifying his game - he has talent but can't stay consistent. I suppose if playing center encourages consistency, then it is a good call, but I think playing on the wing is a surer bet.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Beauvillier was a center in junior and was considered a 2 way player. Beyond that his faceoff winning percentage was like 60%+. Given the Islander lack of top center prospects I think they would be stupid not to try Beauvillier at Center just to see what he has.

I get what you're saying, but there's a world of difference between juniors and the NHL. I gotta think that if he could win an NHL faceoff against men, he'd be doing that already considering the lack of faceoff competency with the Isles centers.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying him out there maybe in the preseason or something. But, I wouldn't consider that having a high chance of success.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Dobson being NHL ready wouldn't surprise me or many others. If he could get even bottom pairing playing time would change what options LL can due to get a top 3 forward center preferably. He could be another McAvoy and settles in and produces even better than expected. Aho could push for a spot just as easy, it is a good problem to have. You need that elite center JMO.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Agree with all of this and would also like to add that he's too inconsistent. Consistency is needed from a center, and I just don't think hes' got that right now. If he seemed fully capable of playing wing than maybe throw more on his plate, but he's still got improving to do in that position.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Dobson being NHL ready wouldn't surprise me or many others. If he could get even bottom pairing playing time would change what options LL can due to get a top 3 forward center preferably. He could be another McAvoy and settles in and produces even better than expected. Aho could push for a spot just as easy, it is a good problem to have. You need that elite center JMO.
I agree with you here and is the reason why I think LL has been quite so far. He wants to go to training camp and see what he has before pulling the trigger on a trade from (hopefully) depth to help a need.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I think Beau at 3C is a great idea. Not the pressure of a top 6 role, and I think he thrives with a couple of big wingers to do all the corner work. He's not very sturdy yet, battling along the boards, but he's sneaky good out in open-ice. Equally adept at dishing and scoring, decent skating, and DNA that seems to value defensive awareness, I say that he is worth a try. I would even like to see him switch with Zeeker once in a while, which would create a scoring threat on the '4th' line, and may catch some teams off guard.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
I think Beau at 3C is a great idea. Not the pressure of a top 6 role, and I think he thrives with a couple of big wingers to do all the corner work. He's not very sturdy yet, battling along the boards, but he's sneaky good out in open-ice. Equally adept at dishing and scoring, decent skating, and DNA that seems to value defensive awareness, I say that he is worth a try. I would even like to see him switch with Zeeker once in a while, which would create a scoring threat on the '4th' line, and may catch some teams off guard.

Lee - Barzal - Ebs
MDC - Brock - Bailey
Leo - Beau - Ho sang
MM - Cizikas - Clutter

I like it

Reactions: xECK29x
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad