Speculation: Offseason Thread Pt V

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Their toughness is a real problem, I readily concede that. But Barrie for Gardiner is an even swap, I'd say. And I don't think Gardiner played in the playoffs, right? As far as being better than last year? They lost to the Bruins in 7 (after being up 3-2). That series could easily have gone either way. I don't know if they are better than last year, but they easily could perform better than they did.

TBH, I don't even know who their backup goalie is this year. Can't be worse than Sparks though, can it?

Edit to add: Losing Kadri wasn't just about salary cap. After all his nonsense, he had to go. Its on them though that he was the only player who played with any grit. Zach Hyman can too but he's out for a while.

(But **** you for making me defend the Leafs. I need to shower).
Kadri was an effective agitator a couple of years ago, but a lot of that had to do with Komarov. As soon as they were split up, Kadri turned into an occasional agitator with flashes of stupidity. He had to go from Toronto: let's see if he is any better in Colorado.

And in all this "Kadri had to go to replace Gardiner, who they couldn't afford to sign", people seem to forget Kerfoot, who could be a more than adequate replacement for a deteriorating Kadri.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Marner signing imminent. Sounds like 6 years.

I say 11-11.5

Point and Tkachuck should be signing soon after this.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Under 11 is a major win for Toronto. Especially for 6 years.

Still going to be up against the cap but that price for Marner is good.

Reactions: duster19

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Toronto is absolutely screwed. For this season, they will just barely fit everyone, but there is no way for them to add anyone during the season and their team is still seriously flawed. As for next year, they are beyond screwed. Literally their entire defense are free agents. They have 66 million locked up for 12 players, TWELVE. That means even if the cap was to go up 4-5 million. they will have 19 million to spend on 9-10 players. They will have two lines and 2 d-men and the rest of the team will be a joke.

Reactions: Ho Sang Clan

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Forgot to mention, but about a week ago on Sirius NHL radio someone was on (I forget) and they said that at least one team went to Marner about negotiating and offer sheet to sign and he declined. On the radio they acted as if everyone in NHL circles knew it was the Islanders.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Forgot to mention, but about a week ago on Sirius NHL radio someone was on (I forget) and they said that at least one team went to Marner about negotiating and offer sheet to sign and he declined. On the radio they acted as if everyone in NHL circles knew it was the Islanders.

Of course it was...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Congrats to the Leafs for retaining the team that brought 2 consecutive first round losses. They’ll never win with that defense.
And we retained our same team that went further than the Leafs did, and stayed $4.6M under the cap.

Or did I just blow your minds? :sarcasm:

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Toronto is absolutely screwed. For this season, they will just barely fit everyone, but there is no way for them to add anyone during the season and their team is still seriously flawed. As for next year, they are beyond screwed. Literally their entire defense are free agents. They have 66 million locked up for 12 players, TWELVE. That means even if the cap was to go up 4-5 million. they will have 19 million to spend on 9-10 players. They will have two lines and 2 d-men and the rest of the team will be a joke.
Andersen is also a UFA in 2 years. Unless he signs an extension, they’re going to need a starting goalie too. They already don’t have an NHL backup.

Reactions: danteipp

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The league is pissed at this point!

Can’t wait for the fall out from the other RFAs - it all goes back to Laine.

Last edited:

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Andersen is also a UFA in 2 years. Unless he signs an extension, they’re going to need a starting goalie too. They already don’t have an NHL backup.

Obviously this year will be bad. They'll likely carry a 20 man roster and like it was said, they wont be able to add anyone. Next year is brutal too. 15.2mil currently in cap space (without a bump in cap) and only 1 defensemen signed on their current roster...woof

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Jared Spurgeon signs a BIG contract with the Wild . . . another great whiff by GMG on talent evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad