Speculation: Offseason Thread #15: Thinking of a new title is Vesey difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Absolutely. The one hope, I suppose, is that his hard-assed-ness makes him more willing to move a "problem" player for something closer to even value.

Yup. I'd add Dallas to that list as well. They could use bottom nine talent and a stable RD like Klein.

LOL you know what's funny I had DAL on there, and took them off because of cap constraints between the two teams.

But yes initially they were on there. Great Minds.

On Chevy:

I think the financial crunch is a big factor with them. They've got Laine, Conon, Roscolovic, Petan, Ehlers, Lowry, etc up front that are all vying for spots. The ROI on those players versus some of their one way contracts is much higher for the younger players.

So it would stand reason to think he's amenable to something.

What that is, is usually and obscene price. A guy like Burmistrov and Armia are also due on one way deals.

Chevy doesn't feel the pressure of job security, which is probably why he's known to hold out the way he does.

Timmy Murray on the other hand....

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Patience should be the word of the thread.

Yes, I understand we're not cup contenders as currently constituted and the defense definitely needs work. Just remember the rebuild/retool doesn't need to be completed all in one offseason.

Gorton is well aware the defense needs fixing, just have patience for the right deal to come along.

Agreed. The group of forwards looks pretty exciting. The defense is a big problem. The reality is Gorton is hogtied with Girardi and Staal's deals/NMC's. There are countless pointless posts that would prefer that reality does not exist. I trust the moment he gets an opportunity, he'll remedy that situation.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
BTW people here, including myself, have raved about ANA's defense.

They've got depth, and quality.

Some guy named Scott Neidermayer coaches them.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
We may have an Associate Coach's position open soon... :)

I'd open up the chequebook for that eh. Seriously though

Lindholm- McD West. The Good McD.
Vatenen- Plays a lot like Rafalski
Fowler- Somewhere between Tomas Kaberle and Martin Skoula. Puck poise is the ?? on a given night.
Bieksa- Terrible start, but was well adjusted when they won.
Manson- Plays a little like Dad, but much more controlled.
Theodore- Scotty's Mini-Me
Montour- Worst case he's a Wideman or Wisneiski.
Stoner- Has played in the NHL.
Holzer- Legitimate NHL option, if a depth piece at that.
Depres- Another one.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
I dont think we make a move until training camp/preseason. Would love to see a marc staal packaged with one of our young forwards. Maybe lindberg

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Shattenkirk is the guy that fits this core. The guy that has the history playing with 27 already the guy that wants to be here.

He's the perfect fit and should be the main target.

Sign him in free agency then. Why are people seriously prepared to give up Nash for 1 year of Shattenkirk? I would not even trade them straight up, and here are people willing to retain salary and even add prospects.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Sign him in free agency then. Why are people seriously prepared to give up Nash for 1 year of Shattenkirk? I would not even trade them straight up, and here are people willing to retain salary and even add prospects.

We are in no position to give up assets for a guy that wants to be here next season. If we want him, then next season will be the time. No reason to rush and give up someone now

darko

Feb 16, 2009
We are in no position to give up assets for a guy that wants to be here next season. If we want him, then next season will be the time. No reason to rush and give up someone now

Agree.

And if he loves the Rangers so much he'll give us a discount.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Agree.

This, next year will be a feeling out year to see where we are. The year after next I feel that we will be a really really good team if we add Shattenkirk and subtract Girardi and the F corps matures another year and Nash and Klien are playing for their next contract. Hank has another 3 years of superlative performance and maybe another 2-3 of being good. We can shut up this NYR decline nonsense on the main boards. I do believe that Staal and Girardi will have decent years next year due to their offseason quality. We have holes and upgrades to make, sure, but I love the way everybody is underselling us.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Sure we are, if that asset is someone we're looking to move on from anyway, like a Nash.

But, I don't really believe that the Rangers are looking to acquire anyone over the age of 25.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If I had to make a bet on who'd be the first impactful Ranger to be moved - I'd put money on Klein. I think he'd be packaged with some of our depth forward (or McIlrath) to get a partner for McD.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think if they are looking to upgrade the right side D Klein isn't moved. Think they want the right side depth to be:

Player acquired
Klein
Girardi

Girardi could be effective in less minutes against sheltered opposition.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Agree.

Yeah, but I don't believe that for a second. The same thing was said about JVR and how many times have Boston fans used the "He wants to play for his home-team" argument and it did not work?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Okay, SF, if you genuinely would like to receive less antagonism (and are genuinely confused as to why you get it in the first place), let me offer a few more/more detailed observations as to why I think you "get it" from other posters when you make these arguments. Please take them in the spirit of intending to be helpful, because I value you as a poster and do, in fact, intend to be helpful...

Hope that was helpful - again, that's how it was meant!

Great post! A lot of posters here should take it to heart! (but probably won't) I personally like reading SF posts.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think if they are looking to upgrade the right side D Klein isn't moved. Think they want the right side depth to be:

Player acquired
Klein
Girardi

Girardi could be effective in less minutes against sheltered opposition.

I doubt they want to keep both G and Klein. They are somewhat redundant. Where do you put McIlrath? And while Klein's contract in vacuum is great if we assume the Ranger acquire a 1st pair D then this right side becomes very expensive. Finally, Klein can be a great trade bait to do Brassard like deal.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
in my mind

gorton is writing off this year. i think this is a playoff team n if they make noise in there thats great but this year is to see if a lot of IF s pan out.
1. can krieder take the next step finally and become a 30 goal beast
2. can buchnevich and Vesey prove they are difference makers in the NHL?
3. can staal regain his form?? Yes and i'm going to get to why in a minute
4. Can Zibby improve and carry the 2nd line??
5. can skiej handle big minutes.
6. can hayes show he is in shape and get better?
those are the top question in my mind and i believe gortons. I believe staal and girardi will both have bounce back years. they both had surgery last off season and did not get a proper chance to train and prepare. Staal will be back. towards the end of the year when McD was injured, staal was excellent on the back end. he doesn't play an overly physical game so his body is not worn down like G. he has a great stick, active, makes good decisions. I think you will see better legs from him with more time to work out. all of the shortened off seasons the NYR have had the last few years finally caught up with everyone and came to a head last year. It was a lot of hockey. Gorts has done great so far and this is what he should do to fix the defense.

Keep staal, no one wants that contract and you will never get value for him plus the NMC. it is essential he gets paired with a puck mover a la stralman.
1.The target here should be brandon montour. the age is right, exempt from expansion draft, very offensive, good decision making, and excellent passer. I would pay 1 year of nash's contract to ANA if it brought back montour and a 2nd.

2. sign shattenkirk 6 years 6 to 6.5 per year right after the expansion draft. Matter of fact tell him that is your intention right now since armstrong is letting people talk to his agent without a trade already in place.
3. buy out girardi or trade him with lindberg as a sweetner.

next year barring a nash @50 percent for Montour and a 2nd trade the line up should look like this

Krieder Stepan Zucc
Bucther Zibby Miller
Vesey Hayes Kovacs
Jooris Fogarty Fast
Hrivk

Mcd shattenkirk
Staal Montour
Skiej Mcirath
holden/graves

Hank
raanta
this all barring points 1-6 happen and the trade with ANA is made. I think next year Kovacs (who is our version of marchand) and forgrty will be ready for those positions. The bruins are this teams model. stepan is like a poor mans bergeron. the will do it by committee with maybe 9 guys capable of 20 goals? with hopefully krieder being an established 30 goal guy by then..
Flame off:yo:

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
What about taking out Fast?

Nash (money retained), McIlrath and Halverson for Shattenkirk (extended)?

Blues are overloaded with goalie prospects and McIlrath is further down their D depth chart than on ours. Nash is someone they were previously interested in, and arguably they would be even more having lost some of their offensive threats.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Blues are overloaded with goalie prospects and McIlrath is further down their D depth chart than on ours. Nash is someone they were previously interested in, and arguably they would be even more having lost some of their offensive threats.

Thanks. I hardly think they do Nash for Shattenkirk straight up though. What do you think it'll take to get him?

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
gorton is writing off this year. i think this is a playoff team n if they make noise in there thats great but this year is to see if a lot of IF s pan out.
1. can krieder take the next step finally and become a 30 goal beast
2. can buchnevich and Vesey prove they are difference makers in the NHL?
3. can staal regain his form?? Yes and i'm going to get to why in a minute
4. Can Zibby improve and carry the 2nd line??
5. can skiej handle big minutes.
6. can hayes show he is in shape and get better?
those are the top question in my mind and i believe gortons. I believe staal and girardi will both have bounce back years. they both had surgery last off season and did not get a proper chance to train and prepare. Staal will be back. towards the end of the year when McD was injured, staal was excellent on the back end. he doesn't play an overly physical game so his body is not worn down like G. he has a great stick, active, makes good decisions. I think you will see better legs from him with more time to work out. all of the shortened off seasons the NYR have had the last few years finally caught up with everyone and came to a head last year. It was a lot of hockey. Gorts has done great so far and this is what he should do to fix the defense.

Keep staal, no one wants that contract and you will never get value for him plus the NMC. it is essential he gets paired with a puck mover a la stralman.
1.The target here should be brandon montour. the age is right, exempt from expansion draft, very offensive, good decision making, and excellent passer. I would pay 1 year of nash's contract to ANA if it brought back montour and a 2nd.

2. sign shattenkirk 6 years 6 to 6.5 per year right after the expansion draft. Matter of fact tell him that is your intention right now since armstrong is letting people talk to his agent without a trade already in place.
3. buy out girardi or trade him with lindberg as a sweetner.

next year barring a nash @50 percent for Montour and a 2nd trade the line up should look like this

Krieder Stepan Zucc
Bucther Zibby Miller
Vesey Hayes Kovacs
Jooris Fogarty Fast
Hrivk

Mcd shattenkirk
Staal Montour
Skiej Mcirath
holden/graves

Hank
raanta
this all barring points 1-6 happen and the trade with ANA is made. I think next year Kovacs (who is our version of marchand) and forgrty will be ready for those positions. The bruins are this teams model. stepan is like a poor mans bergeron. the will do it by committee with maybe 9 guys capable of 20 goals? with hopefully krieder being an established 30 goal guy by then..
Flame off:yo:

no on Montour because he is not expansion draft exempt
he would also cost the guy we lose who is drafted

exempt Pesce from Canes is our guy; in the right deal Murphy is a throw in

========

they do not want Nash

Last edited:

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Thanks. I hardly think they do Nash for Shattenkirk straight up though. What do you think it'll take to get him?

Hard to say. The Blues ask was reported as unrealistically high on draft day, but local (St. Louis) reporters disputed that. I think they're interested in Nash. I'm sure they want a pick/forward prospect. But who knows? Fast can't crack their lineup right now. They want top line offense or picks/kids who are a few years off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad