Speculation: Offseason Thread #15: Thinking of a new title is Vesey difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Trouba will be signed soon. Winnipeg has all of the leverage. Where is Trouba going? They don't want to trade him.

Yes, but I was referring to you listing Myers and Trouba as NMC contracts. Trouba is still RFA which means he isn't eligible for clauses for the first 4 years

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
You may be right but it's easy for fans to look at it and say they need a rd , shatty would likely want to play in NY. I wouldn't deal assets only Nash. Still think as a ufa they make an offer

Nash isn't an asset?

We aren't trading for Shattenkirk and I highly doubt we will offer him a contract next summer.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Nash isn't an asset?

We aren't trading for Shattenkirk and I highly doubt we will offer him a contract next summer.

He's an asset but a high cap hit . If you can move the Nash contract out and get a top RD it's a no brainer . Shatty will sign

I'm not giving away Nash cause he's a good player still but his value is low right now and it needs to likely build back up

Not dealing picks , prospects . STL doesn't want the staal , girardi , glass of the world

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
right now today which is the better team ?

current group forwards and defenseman.

or our forwards without nash and our defense less say kevin klein or macilrath but with shattenkirk ?

which team do you like more ?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

or our forwards without nash and our defense less say kevin klein or macilrath but with shattenkirk ?

The one with Klein and Nash. No question.

In saying that, in terms of long term vision, I'd move someone like Klein for a younger cost controlled RD.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

There's a big difference between Klein and McIlrath. If we are losing Nash and Klein, the former. If we are losing Nash and McIlrath, the latter.

But it's not just about today. We've got some important players to re-sign the next 2 years and signing Shattenkirk for 6.5+ mil per year will make that much more difficult.

Besides the fact that it's been reported that St. Louis has no interest in trading for Nash. If we are trading Nash, it should be for younger, cheaper assets like we did with Brassard.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Go find a young RD who is still developing. A Nathan Beaulieu or Julius Honka or Jake McCabe. Find a team willing to move a young player for a more experienced player.

Everyone wants Honka. Would anyone like Stephen Johns? I would. Doesn't need to be a premier player to be a long term piece. Inexpensive long term pieces.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Go find a young RD who is still developing. A Nathan Beaulieu or Julius Honka or Jake McCabe. Find a team willing to move a young player for a more experienced player.

Everyone wants Honka. Would anyone like Stephen Johns? I would. Doesn't need to be a premier player to be a long term piece. Inexpensive long term pieces.

McCabe is LHD.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Lets hope so. Someone will throw 7/49 at Shatty. Too rich for me.

we might get lucky and he throws us 4 yrs at 5.5 or 5.75. could still have a max payday down the road

shrewd, depending on the ask

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
What about Dougherty? Would we be able to get a trade done with Nashville for a package including Dougherty?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
all this talk of not wanting shattenkirk is silly.

shattenkirk is 27. hes young. hes exactly the type of player you go after next summer. sure hell get paid but hes worth it.

6 years deal puts him at 34 when hes done. you get 4-5 prime years from him.

he would be a fixture on our top 4.

remove nash and add shattenkirk and we are alot better now and moving forward.

all this talk of a bonanza return for rick nash is bunk. waiting for him to have another no show season is a mistake.

again, please stop with the rewriting history on rick nash. the ONLY reason hes still here is no one wanted him.

you move nash for cap relief- if hes moved without retention but with minimal return thats an overall net gain as you can use that money to sign shatty next summer. no brainer imo.

if we some how did that right now, i would love this team and its ability to compete to come out of the east with just that one move alone.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What about Dougherty? Would we be able to get a trade done with Nashville for a package including Dougherty?

He definitely should be a target.

Dealing Nash is going to be tricky. His value isn't very high right now. I'm willing to bet that he will be worth more at the deadline, but does he become a rental because of the expansion draft? Would we be willing to trade him even if we are doing well? Next offseason, would anyone be willing to trade for him before the expansion draft? Probably not. Most likely, we won't be able to trade him until after the expansion draft, assuming LV doesn't take him. The only other option I see is to trade him now with money retained to hopefully get a better return.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

shattenkirk is 27. hes young. hes exactly the type of player you go after next summer. sure hell get paid but hes worth it.

all this talk of a bonanza return for rick nash is bunk. waiting for him to have another no show season is a mistake.

again, please stop with the rewriting history on rick nash. the ONLY reason hes still here is no one wanted him.

you move nash for cap relief- if hes moved without retention but with minimal return thats an overall net gain as you can use that money to sign shatty next summer. no brainer imo.

if we some how did that right now, i would love this team and its ability to compete to come out of the east with just that one move alone.

I think there's some posturing from both organizations re. a trade that would bring Shattenkirk to the Rangers. One at a time but it is reasonable to expect that in two years from now there will be no Klein, Girardi or Staal here. If there's no NMC or NTC attached with Shatty extension then $6.5m is some thing the Rangers should go for. Otherwise, no thank you.

And w/r/t your other post Nash and Klein should be moved in separate deals to maximize the return. As you proposed for the next season the team with Nash, Klein and McI is surely better than with Shattenkirk.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He definitely should be a target.

Dealing Nash is going to be tricky. His value isn't very high right now. I'm willing to bet that he will be worth more at the deadline, but does he become a rental because of the expansion draft? Would we be willing to trade him even if we are doing well? Next offseason, would anyone be willing to trade for him before the expansion draft? Probably not. Most likely, we won't be able to trade him until after the expansion draft, assuming LV doesn't take him. The only other option I see is to trade him now with money retained to hopefully get a better return.

Why would LV take Nash? High $$ and he wouldn't want sign there long term.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yeah, I agree. Nash+McIlrath or Nash+Klein for Shattenkirk, and I think this team could be a contender this season.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Who cares if he's from new Rochelle? I wouldn't care if he was from Argentina.

Guy is a skilled puck moving top RD. That's why we should get him. Not because he's from here.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Why would LV take Nash? High $$ and he wouldn't want sign there long term.

Maybe they wouldn't, but that doesn't mean that a team trading for Nash wouldn't have to factor that into which players they protect. They may not want to trade good value for Nash with the possible risk of losing him in expansion, or having to protect him and risk losing someone else.

Besides that, Nash could have value to LV, especially if he has a good year this year. They are required to select a certain amount of cap space:

The Las Vegas franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap.

The upper limit is 73 million. That means that LV has to select at least 43.8 mil in cap. Taking Nash would enable them to get to that limit more easily so they can take more younger, cheaper players instead of taking cap dumps.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with everyone else that doesn't want to give Shattenkirk a Yandle contract. Cap the deal at 6 years with a 6M AAV. Thats a pretty decent deal. If Shattenkirk wants as much money as possible, let someone else give it to him.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I agree with everyone else that doesn't want to give Shattenkirk a Yandle contract. Cap the deal at 6 years with a 6M AAV. Thats a pretty decent deal. If Shattenkirk wants as much money as possible, let someone else give it to him.

If that is your line in the sand, then trading for him would be foolish unless he agrees to extension beforehand. Either way though, I still don't see him being a Ranger.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Yes, but I was referring to you listing Myers and Trouba as NMC contracts. Trouba is still RFA which means he isn't eligible for clauses for the first 4 years

No. I didn't. The two D are Buff and Enstrom with the NMC. They also have Myers and Trouba. That makes 4. They can protect those 4 and 4 other skaters or 3 D and 7 forwards. Staal is not a fit for Winnipeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad