Speculation: Offseason Thread #14: Now With Even Less Title Ideas (Not the Kreider Thread Tho)

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Average ice time Ducks defensemen last year:

1. Fowler 22:46
2. Lindholm 22:00
3. Vatanen 21:18
4. Bieksa 21:00
5. Despres 19:37
6. Manson 18:46
7. Stoner 15:21

In the Ducks scheme of things Josh Manson got good ice time but he was more than less a bottom pairing guy. The Ducks play a zone type defense. The Rangers play man to man. Manson is more the stay at home type and on the Rangers he'd be more of the same kind of defenseman that we already have more than enough of. He might improve the D but then again he might have a problem adjusting to playing AV's style of man to man defense.

Miller showed a lot of improvement last year and hopefully he'll be even better this year. He's a top 6 forward for the Rangers and pretty much for any team in the league and he's young.

I'll add that there was no confusion of what roles the Ducks players had last year that I could tell. Manson knew his job and was playing in the much more supportive zone system. There was considerable confusion IMO throughout the year about the roles many of the Rangers players had and it's lot ****ing harder to play D in man on man system and it's precisely because defensemen tend to get less support from the forwards.

There's not a chance in hell that I would trade Miller for a defenseman who does not really bring us the kind of defenseman we really need--a more offensive minded player and I'd say there's at least a 50/50 chance that Manson would have a lot of problems adjusting to the Rangers defensive system.

Third on Anaheim in 5v5 TOI. A better barometer of 'what pairing' a player belongs to. He spent majority of the season playing with Lindholm. You're punishing him because he doesn't play on the PP, and that's not why I want to trade for him. I want to trade for him because he's a dominant 5v5 defenesman.

I haven't done the research on what changing teams does to a player, but I'd imagine good shot suppressors have transitional skills from one team to the next. I think you're putting too much weight on switching systems here. Maybe his raw numbers would fall, but relative to the rest of NYR, he'd be a dominant shot suppressor here, too, IMO.

KreiderHouseRules*

Third on Anaheim in 5v5 TOI. A better barometer of 'what pairing' a player belongs to. He spent majority of the season playing with Lindholm. You're punishing him because he doesn't play on the PP, and that's not why I want to trade for him. I want to trade for him because he's a dominant 5v5 defenesman.

I haven't done the research on what changing teams does to a player, but I'd imagine good shot suppressors have transitional skills from one team to the next. I think you're putting too much weight on switching systems here. Maybe his raw numbers would fall, but relative to the rest of NYR, he'd be a dominant shot suppressor here, too, IMO.

I don't believe too much in "shot suppression" independent of anything else. I value "possession-driving" and "puck-carrying" more, and if it's along with "shot suppression" then woohoo.

Players who play good defense but don't do much with the puck are less valuable than guys who may occasionally get beat but who are usually helping dictate the play and possessing the puck.

I tend to agree with eco's bones post that you quoted.

I really like Manson but he's just a better version of the TYPES of D we have.

He's a better Klein; a better McIlrath; what we perhaps hoped McIlrath would be (or what he might've been and still might be if AV stopped ****ing with him and let him play the way Manson does for ANA, depending on how you feel.)

Brandon Montour is the type of defenseman we want.

We need the next generation of Vatanen / Barrie / Shattenkirk before they become those players and get paid the huge salaries.

Brandon Montour.
Julius Honka.
Ryan Murphy even.

And don't get me wrong, I'd love Manson on this team. I'm a huge fan. But I'm not willing to trade what it would take to get him because I think we should use those assets, if at all, for the puck-carrying, rush-leading, powerplay-QBing, possession-driving defenseman that we currently don't even have an old model of.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Where do you get this punishing **** from? I'm not punishing Manson at all. He's probably happy as hell to be in Anaheim making his $825K this year. In any case imagining is guessing and I wouldn't want to guess with Miller because IMO he turned a corner last year.

What the Rangers do need is a puck moving D that can help them on the power play and play more acceptable defense hopefully than the likes of Boyle and Yandle. That's what we need. To be honest Miller (and I don't think he'd be enough) for Trouba would be more in my wheelhouse.

But going beyond that the Rangers need to go back to a zone style of defense. Girardi's play may have dropped in the last couple years but AV's man on man thing is not helping him and it ain't helping Staal and it's not helpful for McIlrath and it certainly didn't sit well with Boyle. When your defensive scheme plays hard to the weaknesses of half the defense you're going to use it's bound to blow up over and over again.

In a lot of ways I like AV as a coach but if he's not going to change back to zone I want him to get the **** out.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...y-decided-short-list-teams-becomes-free-agent

Rangers, Leafs and Debbies are the favorites to land Vesey. The Buffalo Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins, Chicago Blackhawks, New York Islanders and Boston Bruins are also considered.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/sources-boston-bruins-not-a-favorite-to-sign-jimmy-vesey

According to SCN, it's the Rangers, Debbies and Chicago (instead of the Leafs) as the favorites.

NBC Sports is reporting that Detroit's GM said he was told that Detroit is not in the mix because it is too far from home. That would presumably be a major knock against Chicago and Toronto.

Last edited:

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Watching highlight vids, Vesey kind of reminded me of Rielly Smith. If we get a Rielly Smith level player for free, that'd be a huge win.

Anyway, I would expect around 15 goals and 20 assists from Vesey this year.

cozandeffect

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
I saw Vesey play against my alma mater last year and while he had a pretty quiet night in terms of overall impact(Probably because they blew us out 6-2 and he didn't play nearly as much), he still had 2 powerplay assists. He controlled play pretty well in the offensive zone and was good at breaking down a usually very good Cornell defense who play a very controlled trap and then collapse ala Torts (Ugh I have so many feelings about this). He didn't shoot much but didn't really need to so I can't speak to that. He also held his own physically against an enormous and physical Big Red team and backchecked hard the few times Cornell actually controlled got the puck.

I think the biggest thing for me is how he handled the crowd. Cornell Harvard is an enormous rivalry (I refuse to believe that Yale hockey fandom is a thing) and going into one of the top 3 atmospheres along with Yost and UND is not an easy thing to do. He had about 4 fish thrown at him and he didn't seemed phased at all and quietly destroyed us.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't think the new blood we will get from Buch and can get from Vesey opens up all that much room to deplete the roster of scoring in October 2016. Remember that Zinbanejad is a much less proven scorer than Brass to start with. A not insignificant part of Zs offensive production comes from playing with Karlsson in Ottawa. Going into this season, the biggest pressure to produce will and should be on Zucc, Nash, Step and even Kreider.

If we get there, down the road Buch could certainly open up for a move of Zucc if we want to and Vesey along with increased performance by Kreider could open up for a move of Nash. But I am not sold on that its smart to make those moves now, counting your eggs before they are hatched so to speak...

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Vesey or Buchnevich ala The Unprovens in your Top 6, put the pipe down. Place is sinking like the Titanic with these proposals.

Kreider Stepan Nash / Miller Zibenejad Zucc / Vesey Hayes Buchnevich / Grabner Jooris Fast / IR Lindberg.

The most interesting part of this scenario is how Glass will be utilized because AV is going to somehow, someway make a plea for him. If he does, I want him the **** out of here. There's way too many forwards who play a more complete game.

Hrivik, Jensen, Gerbe in the AHL - pretty good.

Yankeekid07

Jul 19, 2011
Westchester, NY
Vesey or Buchnevich ala The Unprovens in your Top 6, put the pipe down. Place is sinking like the Titanic with these proposals.

Kreider Stepan Nash / Miller Zibenejad Zucc / Vesey Hayes Buchnevich / Grabner Jooris Fast / IR Lindberg.

The most interesting part of this scenario is how Glass will be utilized because AV is going to somehow, someway make a plea for him. If he does, I want him the **** out of here. There's way too many forwards who play a more complete game.

Hrivik, Jensen, Gerbe in the AHL - pretty good.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Leafs situation is like the T.A.R.P. program. The US government set it up to deal with the toxic assets from the 2008 economic meltdown. Lou has been trying to make deals to alleviate their cap all summer. They have max bonuses tied up in Auston. Other bonuses in Marner,Nylander and Ziatsev. $5.4M in total. $5.475M is 7.5% of $73M. Horton and Robidas on long term IR. Cowen arbitration. Lupul may never play again. $16.65M. The Vesey bonuses have to accounted for in the cap. $2.85M. They can't use the bonus money to exceed the cap with a player on long term IR.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The Pens don't have any cap left for this season--are in fact over it and have to figure out a way to divest themselves of either Kunitz or Fleury. A couple years from now their picture is maybe not so bad. They will have to give a sizable contract to Matt Murray next year.

The Pens are 2.3 mil over the cap, but Dupuis will be on LTIR, so they don't need to do anything to get under the cap. They could fit Vesey using LTIR money. Any bonuses he earns would be rolled over to next year, but Kunitz, Dupuis and Daley will all be off the books next summer and they don't really have anyone looking for a big raise the next 2 years except Hornqvist and Murray. By then they'll probably find a way to dump Fleury.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Gross is no longer going to be covering the Rangers for The Record. TBD who his replacement will be.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Probably nobody will be the Rangers beat writer. The Bergen Record didn't have a Rangers writer for a while until they hired Gross. The Newark Star-Ledger has not a Rangers beat writer in nearly 20 years. Bridget Wentworth was the last Rangers best reporter for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad