Speculation: Offseason Thread #14: Now With Even Less Title Ideas (Not the Kreider Thread Tho)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
With the d we have macdonagh should start on the right side with Staal. Skjei with Klein. Holden and 6/5

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
As opposed to the other options we have?

Wouldn't surprise me if we started with McDonagh-Klein and Staal-Skjei and then saw that jumbled a bunch of times throughout the first month or so. I think Holden-G/McIlrath will be our steady third pairing

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I get that trading Girardi and Staal is nearly an impossibility but I can't believe that this is going to be our starting D going into next season. We're screwed unless both of these guys have the mother of all bounce back years.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I get that trading Girardi and Staal is nearly an impossibility but I can't believe that this is going to be our starting D going into next season. We're screwed unless both of these guys have the mother of all bounce back years.

If you get that it's an impossibility, then why can't you believe that this is going to be our starting D?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

Playing a traditional zone defensive scheme would probably help, as opposed to the headless-chicken approach of last season.

We have the best goaltender in the world. He can make any unit look good as long as we aren't losing the opposition in the slot 10 times a game.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Less ideas or fewer ideas?

hmmm.

Seems the only idea that matters is what are they doing on defense. There is no way to arrange D-pairs that works.

We are really "reaping the benefits" of the Girardi & Staal signings now.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

I still think Staal can be serviceable with the right partner.

Girardi... I mean... there's nowhere to go but up from last season. If there is a down from what he was... he can't be in the NHL. He can't be playing 60+ games 15+ mins a night.

Unless you want to lose a whole bunch :dunno:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
McDonagh-Klein
Staal-Skjei

That makes the most sense as far as balancing out guys who can skate and guys who are steady stay-at-home guys.

The problem I see is that it leaves Holden, Girardi and McIlrath. McIlrath should play. They won't sit Girardi

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
L-L or R-R pairings generally fair worse than L-R. I also have serious hesitations about playing Skjei on his off-side. I'd rather...

McDonagh - Klein
Staal - McIlrath
Skjei - Holden
Girardi

Unfortunate that we need the L-L bottom pairing. I'd rather the vet than the rookie play the off-side, especially one that we should be looking to develop into a long-term LHD for this team.

Pipe dream, anyway. Girardi ain't sitting.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If they won't sit Girardi they haven't learned a damn thing and deserve to lose.

Unless they're trying to lose, which by all means I am for.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

As bad as last season was for him, I still believe in Marc Staal as a player and wouldn't be surprised if he had a huge bounce back year. I think the injuries in the 2015 playoffs and his inability to train that offseason really set him back last year, I don't think he's done and fully past his time like Girardi is.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
What do you want Gorton to do? Defenseman are harder to find than a good woman. He has Staal and Girardi signed long term. They have to be protected in the expansion draft. Trades are impossible to make. I read a qoute from Don Sweeney about teams wanting to see their teams in camp. Then it becomes the trading deadline for the next wave of player movement. The last thing the Rangers need is having a protection issue on D with 4D for 3 spots.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What do you want Gorton to do? Defenseman are harder to find than a good woman. He has Staal and Girardi signed long term. They have to be protected in the expansion draft. Trades are impossible to make. I read a qoute from Don Sweeney about teams wanting to see their teams in camp. Then it becomes the trading deadline for the next wave of player movement. The last thing the Rangers need is having a protection issue on D with 4D for 3 spots.

Probably should've bought one of them out when he had the chance.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
L-L or R-R pairings generally fair worse than L-R. I also have serious hesitations about playing Skjei on his off-side. I'd rather...

McDonagh - Klein
Staal - McIlrath
Skjei - Holden
Girardi

Unfortunate that we need the L-L bottom pairing. I'd rather the vet than the rookie play the off-side, especially one that we should be looking to develop into a long-term LHD for this team.

Pipe dream, anyway. Girardi ain't sitting.

It'll probably end up being something like:

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - McIlrath/Klein
Skjei - Klein/McIlrath
Holden

I don't see AV playing Skjei and McIlrath together, and I don't think Girardi will get usurped as our 1st pairing RD.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If they can't find a taker for G, he'll be bought out before the expansion draft. I'm more confident that Staal can bounce back to top-4 form, and he was trending upwards toward the end of the season when he was healthy. I'd like to see McIlrath get tried as Staal's partner, but I can't see AV giving him that opportunity. Even Larry Brooks made the joke that Holden will be a defenseman that gets to play over McIlrath. I wouldn't even be shocked if Clendenning got a nod either if we see an injury.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
They said they'll be reducing Girardis playtime, no? Unless something catastrophically goes wrong, or something.

Unlike how the said they'd do it with Boyle (started to do it and then dropped it), I think they'd seriously consider doing it for G, especially with what Gorton said at the end of the season.

I see Girardi spending a very solid chunk of time on the third pairing.

Of course...it also depends on health and conditioning and stuff the public isn't given knowledge about. So...we'll see.

Last edited:

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

:laugh::handclap:

Best post ever

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Not too sure there is any great solution to this one.

They have to expose a defender, he must meet the games played requirement. Staal, Girardi can not be exposed, McD should not be.

So even if they buy out G, they still have to expose someone and only have one protection slot left to use. Klein, Holden or McIlrath.

Klein, lose him for nothing or protect the last year of his contract? Better off trading him beforehand in my opinion. (Same for Nash)

Holden I think is exposed, which would make sense as to why they traded for him in the first place.

McIlrath though, if he does not play this year, what is the point? He will not meet the games needed to qualify to be exposed, and he's not developing if that is the case. So are they going to protect him or would they rather only protect two Defenders, (McD, Staal) as part of the protect 8 skaters instead?

Seems Fast and/or Lindberg would be more worthy of protection if that plays out.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I have been saying this all along. Just because player X hasn't been moved by now, doesn't mean they won't be moved over the course of the season. Training camp is a good starting point. Some coaches/GM's will start exploring trades if they don't like what they see in camp and have a slow start. There are always injuries where a guy is out for the remainder of the season or a long time. That also will open up previously closed trading possibilities. There is no guarantee that Staal or Girardi will be gone by the deadline but it isn't a forgone conclusion they will be here either. Things happen. GM's have to adjust course. New doors open.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
skjei is gonna play alot.

he's played the right side before and has done well. he's got the skills to do it and still play at a high level. last years playoff series vs the pens showed he can log prime time minutes and be trusted. he will play and probably on the right.

if you've got klein and girardi on the right side- especially a fresh girardi who's supposedly healthy, they will both play. girardi on the 3rd pair.

that put mcilrath back in a suit upstairs most nights.

holden was signed to play alot as well. he's 6'4 and has above average wheels. he can actually skate pretty well for a big guy. he's always been a guy who eats minutes too. has the ability to step up from the 3rd pair to the 2nd if needed.

right now, holden IS the better overall nhl defenseman over mcilrath who still has too many holes in his game- not to mention his coach not trusting him.

this defense still scares me. we won't generate much push from the blue line with this group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad