Speculation: Offseason Thread #13: Running out of title ideas (Mod post #71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Always loved Hags even with his Rico Fata-esque finishing abilities. Penguins don't win the cup without him last year. Hopeful that Jooris/Gerbe/Grabner can replace some of what we lost when Hags was traded.

You're comparing Hagelin to Rico Fata? :facepalm:

Rico Fata had 63 points in his NHL career, which totaled of 230 games--Hagelin had 62 points in his first two seasons (and one of them was the lockout season).

Fata is a one season wonder (who was -46 in 73 games), the other is a Stanley Cup champion.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
This picture.

Screen-Shot-2016-06-27-at-1.54.34-PM.png

Highest I've seen him listed at is 176 lbs. Not exactly big, maybe he's 176 and jacked but he doesn't exactly look big. Zucc is listed as 3 lbs heavier and half a foot shorter. Not expecting the kid to be a power forward but I think it would serve him well to put on some weight.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Highest I've seen him listed at is 176 lbs. Not exactly big, maybe he's 176 and jacked but he doesn't exactly look big. Zucc is listed as 3 lbs heavier and half a foot shorter. Not expecting the kid to be a power forward but I think it would serve him well to put on some weight.

He plays strong, so I don't think his weight is as big of a deal as people say. I think he could add like 20 pounds, and it wouldn't be bad. Buch is one of those players who is wiry strong, so I think he could hold up in the NHL near 180, but it wouldn't be bad if he could get near 200.

I suspect he is adding weight this offseason. Thats probably the main reason why they sent him to train with Ben Prentiss.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
He plays strong, so I don't think his weight is as big of a deal as people say. I think he could add like 20 pounds, and it wouldn't be bad. Buch is one of those players who is wiry strong, so I think he could hold up in the NHL near 180, but it wouldn't be bad if he could get near 200.

I suspect he is adding weight this offseason. Thats probably the main reason why they sent him to train with Ben Prentiss.

I think he'll be alright, but yea it could def help to get closer to 200. Im sure he will show up to camp somewhere near 190. He's obviously done alright his entire career playing at whatever weight he's been, would just be a shame if he flew out of the gates and got worn down over the course of 82 games.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers sent Buchnevich to Prentiss because so many NHL players go to Prentiss. It's also an opportunity for him to be surrounded by NHL players. He will learn how to train properly. The same guys keep going back to Prentiss every summer for a reason. There was a big difference between Buchnevich in the 2014 and 2015 WJC. He got bigger by the 2015 WJC. He was 19 going on 20 and his body matured. I have read scouting reports calling him a "power forward" and these guys are calling him a "150 pound weakling". You watch the games in the KHL and doesn't look like 176 pounds, Those weight numbers are dubious. Brassard was listed at 205 lbs. I saw Brassard in the street one morning walking from his cab on 8th Avenue to the side entrance for a morning skate. He didn't look 205 pounds. Zuccarello is listed at 179. Is there really a 26 pound difference between them?

Pavel Buchnevich (ISS Ranked #34 in 2013, Overall drafted #75 in 2013 NHL Draft) – Prototypical power forward that is still developing his offensive game. Bangs and chips in offensively plus has the ability to spot in on higher lines and special teams. Buchnevich’s combination of size and skill make him the Rangers’s best forward prospect. Buchnevich will return to the KHL for the 2015-16 season and spend at least one more season in Russia.

http://www.isshockey.com/new-york-rangers-2015-nhl-draft-recap/

:popcorn:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Buch's strength is all in his core and legs. I've seen him shield two defenders away from the puck and push through both of them using his hips and making it look easy. His upper body strength appears to be lacking because he's slight, but none of know for certain, nor will it be a hindrance because he'll bulk up a bit more with a proper diet and exercise.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
The Rangers sent Buchnevich to Prentiss because so many NHL players go to Prentiss. It's also an opportunity for him to be surrounded by NHL players. He will learn how to train properly. The same guys keep going back to Prentiss every summer for a reason. There was a big difference between Buchnevich in the 2014 and 2015 WJC. He got bigger by the 2015 WJC. He was 19 going on 20 and his body matured. I have read scouting reports calling him a "power forward" and these guys are calling him a "150 pound weakling". You watch the games in the KHL and doesn't look like 176 pounds, Those weight numbers are dubious. Brassard was listed at 205 lbs. I saw Brassard in the street one morning walking from his cab on 8th Avenue to the side entrance for a morning skate. He didn't look 205 pounds. Zuccarello is listed at 179. Is there really a 26 pound difference between them?

http://www.isshockey.com/new-york-rangers-2015-nhl-draft-recap/

:popcorn:

Brass is taller than Zucc, so add the head which weighs in at 10-11 pounds, then add a few extra pounds because of longer bones, tissue, water, muscle due to frame, and you easily have 26 pounds extra.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Brass is taller than Zucc, so add the head which weighs in at 10-11 pounds, then add a few extra pounds because of longer bones, tissue, water, muscle due to frame, and you easily have 26 pounds extra.

Zucc took a puck to the head, so I'm absolutely positive he has one also. There are other factors that lead me to believe this as well.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Zucc took a puck to the head, so I'm absolutely positive he has one also. There are other factors that lead me to believe this as well.

Brass is a head taller, which equals a bit of mass.

My point being that if you're taller than someone, with an athletic build, 26 lbs is nothing

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Im gonna give Girardi one more shot. Think he's earned it.

The only thing I'll say for Girardi is that I don't think he's as bad as he showed last season.

I mean, how can he be? He had a broken kneecap, broken thumb, and swollen ankles.

He's still a poor example of a modern defenseman, but maybe he plays better healthy and with sheltered minutes. 3rd pair and PK minutes?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The only thing I'll say for Girardi is that I don't think he's as bad as he showed last season.

I mean, how can he be? He had a broken kneecap, broken thumb, and swollen ankles.

He's still a poor example of a modern defenseman, but maybe he plays better healthy and with sheltered minutes. 3rd pair and PK minutes?

Yeah, I will agree with this--except............McIlrath...

He makes $800k and is many times the player Girardi is. That's how much a 3rd pairing, physical, defenseman who can PK should be making.

Simple math says that it's about 7 times less than what Girardi makes. :help:

I guess moving Klein helps offset things a bit, but it still sucks regardless. Girardi is an anchor to this team. I get why they aren't buying him out this year, but I'm not opposed to buying him out this year either. I mean, it's not like this team can contend, but Girardi being on the team certainly begs the opposite of that.

Regardless, if they can't move him at the deadline then we're stuck with a god awful buyout. Thanks Sather... We've lost Yandle because of Staal, and we could lose McIlrath because of Girardi. Someone needs to be fired.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Girardi will probably be slightly better this year but that's not very hard when you were the worst defenseman in the league last year.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Relative to his role. He's not the worst dman in the entire league. Not even close.

He's still pretty bad, though. I'm not arguing against that.

I think he was.

He had the easiest situations he's had in his entire career and outputted his worst numbers ever. I don't think he's even a bottom pairing defenseman at this point. He was obviously injured but his mistakes are mental and mistakes he's made most of his career (e.g. conceding 400 feet at the blueline). He was spoonfed a top 15 defenseman and the best forwards on the team and did nothing positive. And when that didn't work he got Yandle in offensive situations, where he fared almost no better. He sucks no matter where you put him. I do not think he's an everyday NHL'er anymore.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think he was.

He had the easiest situations he's had in his entire career and outputted his worst numbers ever. I don't think he's even a bottom pairing defenseman at this point. He was obviously injured but his mistakes are mental and mistakes he's made most of his career (e.g. conceding 400 feet at the blueline). He was spoonfed a top 15 defenseman and the best forwards on the team and did nothing positive. And when that didn't work he got Yandle in offensive situations, where he fared almost no better. He sucks no matter where you put him. I do not think he's an everyday NHL'er anymore.

It's not even just himself performing poorly, it's that coupled with bringing down the people he is playing with to a worse level.

Girardi on the ice with McDonagh for 20 minutes a night isn't just bad because it's G on the ice for 20 mins, it's also bad because it's a worse form of McDonagh for 20 minutes.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Chris Kreider said that he doesn't have a specific number of goals in mind for this season but instead has a "mission" to put forth a level of effort that will help the Rangers be successful.

Kreider said that would include being an "imposing physical presence" with or without the puck and moving your feet "through people."

He said that he is at his best when he is making the other team's defense turn, getting to the net, playing north/south and being "big, strong, fast, mean and imposing."

Kreider said that he knows the player he is and can be and that he is excited to be with the Rangers for another four-seasons.

Scott Arniel says that Kreider is an "easy 30-goal scorer" if he can have a consistent season and that if he does "we've got a whole other player."

This was from SNYRangersblog.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Chris Kreider said that he doesn't have a specific number of goals in mind for this season but instead has a "mission" to put forth a level of effort that will help the Rangers be successful.

Kreider said that would include being an "imposing physical presence" with or without the puck and moving your feet "through people."

He said that he is at his best when he is making the other team's defense turn, getting to the net, playing north/south and being "big, strong, fast, mean and imposing."

Kreider said that he knows the player he is and can be and that he is excited to be with the Rangers for another four-seasons.

Scott Arniel says that Kreider is an "easy 30-goal scorer" if he can have a consistent season and that if he does "we've got a whole other player."

This was from SNYRangersblog.

If Kreider plays that mean, physical game consistently, he will score 30 goals no doubt. The problem is, he isn't consistent with that type of game and thats why hes a 20g scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad