Speculation: Offseason Thread #13: Running out of title ideas (Mod post #71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Ziba met with the media on Friday. He said Hank, McD, G, Staal, Hayes and Miller have reached out to him. He also said that he doesn't know any of the players on the Rangers that well. He said JT Miller is the one he knows the best having played against him for years when he was playing for Sweden and JT for the USA. Mika speaks really good English. Almost no accent and he speaks pretty fast, so you can tell he isn't doing much processing of what to say like you might do when talking in a language you aren't fluent with.

You'd think Glass would've reached out to him, too, ya know, since he's such a valuable locker room guy :rolleyes: :)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nash has a bad shot. Not a threat from the perimeter.

Best shots on the team are Miller, Kreider, Ziba, Stepan, Buch from the forwards. There aren't many defenseman with good shots. Maybe McDonagh has the best shot, although none have shots that are that good. There really aren't any pure snipers on the team, forwards or defenseman. The best shot in the organization is Ryan Graves. He has one of the hardest slap shots in the world at 103.4 MPH.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
You should suit up and try to stop one of Nash's shots. Bet you won't think its a wet noodle afterwords.

Nash does in fact shoot very hard. I remember watching a game where Nash Shot the puck, the shot was wide, and it rung around the boards instead--stopping all the back at Lundqvist's goal line. That's a hard shot.

Unfortunately, sometimes Nash's shots are easily anticipated by an NHL goalie.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Ziba met with the media on Friday. He said Hank, McD, G, Staal, Hayes and Miller have reached out to him. He also said that he doesn't know any of the players on the Rangers that well. He said JT Miller is the one he knows the best having played against him for years when he was playing for Sweden and JT for the USA. Mika speaks really good English. Almost no accent and he speaks pretty fast, so you can tell he isn't doing much processing of what to say like you might do when talking in a language you aren't fluent with.

Hayes and McIlrath were doing a clinic for kids on Wednesday. They both seemed to think that losing Yandle from the locker room won't be easy. McIlrath said Yandle had the best nickname for him, he called him "thuggy". Hayes said he's visited Staal in Thunder Bay so far this summer, and this week he's going to be visiting McDonagh and Stepan, probably in Minnesota.

Thank Sather and Staal for that god awful negotiation.

Yandle really did want to be here it seemed.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Nash shot is good because he's one of the rare players that you really don't know if he's going to shoot or make a move.

His shot is also insanely accurate.

It's like just because he doesn't have an Ovechkin or Tarasenko shot, people think that means it's a wet noodle and bad shot.

Nash has score tons of goals on unscreened wrist shots in his career. He has a deceptive release and he has great accuracy. Just because he doesn't have a Tarasenko like wrist shot doesn't mean his is ineffective. It' just different.

I care far more about how many goals he scores than I do how hard his shot is while doing it.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
It's like just because he doesn't have an Ovechkin or Tarasenko shot, people think that means it's a wet noodle and bad shot.

Nash has score tons of goals on unscreened wrist shots in his career. He has a deceptive release and he has great accuracy. Just because he doesn't have a Tarasenko like wrist shot doesn't mean his is ineffective. It' just different.

I care far more about how many goals he scores than I do how hard his shot is while doing it.

He also has better hands than both of them. I know your a goalie so let me ask you a couple questions. When a player of Nash's size and skill is on a breakaway what do you think he'll do? Move or shoot? What about when he's one on one with your dman? Do you think he'll make a move around him? Power through him? Or will he shoot inbetween the dmans legs using him as a screen?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
He also has better hands than both of them. I know your a goalie so let me ask you a question. When a player of Nash's size and skill is on a breakaway what do you think he'll do? Move or shoot? What about when he's one on one with your dman? Do you think he'll make a move around him? Power through him? Or will he shoot inbetween the dmans legs using him as a screen?

Well when an opposing player is in on a breakaway, it really depends on the situation. You usually know certain players tendencies, so with a guy like Nash you're usually anticipating a deke, but there are too many factors to say outright. Depending on how much time he has, how fast he's coming in, how he he's carrying the puck and also what I'm giving him based on how far out I'm challenging, am I matching his speed and what does he know of my tendencies. It really depends on the situation.

When he's in 1on1 with a D, I would be expecting him to try and deke through the D or to try and power his way though and if he can't beat him to the point where there is no obstruction between the puck and me, then he will try and use the D as a screen.

That's what makes players like Nash such a threat, he his the size and speed to power through, but also the hands and quickness to suddenly shoot through the D's legs when you're not expecting a shot. This is also part of the reason why his shot speed necessarily isn't as important. Nash is incredibly shifty for a big guy and his hands are fantastic, so even if his shot isn't Tarasenko level, he is good as surprising the goalie and putting the puck in hard to stop spots like the 5-hole or short side.

I guess my main takeway from Nash is that he is incredibly shifty for a big guy and can seemingly deke or shoot at any time. It's why when people talk about his wet noodle of a shot, and all things honest compared to the elite snipers in the league his shot is weaker, I get annoyed. He is very shifty and he can shoot or deke seemingly at all times when he's in on goal, different from a player like Stepan who has an above average shot but telegraphs what he's doing pretty often so when he scores on an unscreened shot, it has to be 100% pinpoint accurate.

Nash gets compared to Tarasenko and Ovechkin and players like that because they're goal scorers and so is Nash, but he's different type of player. I've said it too much in this post, but Nash is a shifty player who doesn't rely on his howitzer of a shot, that's not his game. He likes to come in with speed and put the D off balance with pace changes and quick hands. How many times have we seen Nash put a D and goalie off balance and score on what looks like a noodle of a shot? That's not because his shot is so bad it's going in, it's because he knows what he's doing. With his speed and size and the momentum behind him, he's indicating one thing, then he shifts pace and either cuts back or he makes a small move like slightly moving the puck to either side before releasing his shot or holding the puck a millisecond longer to change the nagle slightly which is very deceptive. The way a player's stick is lying as he's about to release the shot is what the goalie is reading to anticipate the shot.

I'm on the train, so my thoughts are a little jumbled and this is a pretty rambling and incoherent post, but here's a few Rangers Nash examples of what I'm trying to get at.

Here is Nash holding the puck an extra second longer, changing the angle slightly on Rinne to beat him short side.

Nash making a slight deke before releasing the shot with great accuracy

Nash first goal in this video, right before he releases he rolls the puck slightly off his heel.

We all know how good he is at faking the goalie out using his forward momentum and suddenly changing direction and his great hands in tight

The way Nash pulls the puck back for a quick deke and changes his angle before releasing completely fools Bryz

Nash holding the puck an extra second longer:

Nash great skill here :sarcasm:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Well when an opposing player is in on a breakaway, it really depends on the situation. You usually know certain players tendencies, so with a guy like Nash you're usually anticipating a deke, but there are too many factors to say outright. Depending on how much time he has, how fast he's coming in, how he he's carrying the puck and also what I'm giving him based on how far out I'm challenging, am I matching his speed and what does he know of my tendencies. It really depends on the situation.

When he's in 1on1 with a D, I would be expecting him to try and deke through the D or to try and power his way though and if he can't beat him to the point where there is no obstruction between the puck and me, then he will try and use the D as a screen.

That's what makes players like Nash such a threat, he his the size and speed to power through, but also the hands and quickness to suddenly shoot through the D's legs when you're not expecting a shot. This is also part of the reason why his shot speed necessarily isn't as important. Nash is incredibly shifty for a big guy and his hands are fantastic, so even if his shot isn't Tarasenko level, he is good as surprising the goalie and putting the puck in hard to stop spots like the 5-hole or short side.

I guess my main takeway from Nash is that he is incredibly shifty for a big guy and can seemingly deke or shoot at any time. It's why when people talk about his wet noodle of a shot, and all things honest compared to the elite snipers in the league his shot is weaker, I get annoyed. He is very shifty and he can shoot or deke seemingly at all times when he's in on goal, different from a player like Stepan who has an above average shot but telegraphs what he's doing pretty often so when he scores on an unscreened shot, it has to be 100% pinpoint accurate.

Nash gets compared to Tarasenko and Ovechkin and players like that because they're goal scorers and so is Nash, but he's different type of player. I've said it too much in this post, but Nash is a shifty player who doesn't rely on his howitzer of a shot, that's not his game. He likes to come in with speed and put the D off balance with pace changes and quick hands. How many times have we seen Nash put a D and goalie off balance and score on what looks like a noodle of a shot? That's not because his shot is so bad it's going in, it's because he knows what he's doing. With his speed and size and the momentum behind him, he's indicating one thing, then he shifts pace and either cuts back or he makes a small move like slightly moving the puck to either side before releasing his shot or holding the puck a millisecond longer to change the nagle slightly which is very deceptive. The way a player's stick is lying as he's about to release the shot is what the goalie is reading to anticipate the shot.

I'm on the train, so my thoughts are a little jumbled and this is a pretty rambling and incoherent post, but here's a few Rangers Nash examples of what I'm trying to get at.

Here is Nash holding the puck an extra second longer, changing the angle slightly on Rinne to beat him short side.

Nash making a slight deke before releasing the shot with great accuracy

Nash first goal in this video, right before he releases he rolls the puck slightly off his heel.

We all know how good he is at faking the goalie out using his forward momentum and suddenly changing direction and his great hands in tight

The way Nash pulls the puck back for a quick deke and changes his angle before releasing completely fools Bryz

Nash holding the puck an extra second longer:

Nash great skill here :sarcasm:

Thanks for taking the time to write this. Fantastic post.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Here is Nash holding the puck an extra second longer, changing the T]

No, when he is 1 on 1 and tries that same stupid spin move EVERY TIME and it never works.

Posting a few videos of nice goals doens't prove anything. Shoudl I post Tanner Glass's goals too? He will looked like a elite sniper.

Here we see Glass use GREAT agility to get open in front, find the net, and somehow snipe it short side before the goalie can get over:

In this next play we see Glass FLYING down the wing, using his great SPEED, picking the puck up on the fly and quickly sniping it between the 5 hole:

And lately, here was have Glass coming in late, getting in GREAT postion and then BLASTS it top shelf, shades of Chara on that shot.

See how easy that is?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Where did the narrative of Buchnevich being some 150 pound weakling begin?

I heard a podcast today which included some Rangers fan.

The typical stuff

Buchnevich is a 150 pound weakling

Skjei sucks

Yandle is the greatest defenseman in the world.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com

Thank you for answering the questions. I enjoy picking goalies brains... The more i learn the more goals I'll score :naughty:

Nash is just as good as a goal scorer as the rest. He's just a completely different type of goal scorer. I'm happy to have him on the team for now.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
He also has better hands than both of them. I know your a goalie so let me ask you a couple questions. When a player of Nash's size and skill is on a breakaway what do you think he'll do? Move or shoot? What about when he's one on one with your dman? Do you think he'll make a move around him? Power through him? Or will he shoot inbetween the dmans legs using him as a screen?

Maybe I'm misreading you but Remember that Messier had the most predictable move coming off the right wing and drawing in to snap/wrist a shot, it had a lotta success despite the predictability

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
See how easy that is?

Yep, flawless argument there. :speechles

So that's what we get in the offseason, huh? I attempt to make a thought out post and provide video evidence to my points and you sarcastically dismiss it by posting videos of the worst player in the NHL. I appreciate the discussion.

Pretty rude of you, honestly. You could at least address the points if you disagree, not outright dismiss them by implying that my post about Nash and yours about Nash are similar. If you actually believe that, you're ignorant. Though I know you really don't, you're just being snarky. Well, you make yourself look bad there.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

So that's what we get in the offseason, huh? I attempt to make a thought out post and provide video evidence to my points and you sarcastically dismiss it by posting videos of the worst player in the NHL. I appreciate the discussion.

Pretty rude of you, honestly. You could at least address the points if you disagree, not outright dismiss them by implying that my post about Nash and yours about Nash are similar. If you actually believe that, you're ignorant. Though I know you really don't, you're just being snarky. Well, you make yourself look bad there.

Sort of like taking the time to do a ton of stats research and putting it into a post and people just say: 'oh there he goes, dude just hates Miller'... so I hear :)

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Sort of like taking the time to do a ton of stats research and putting it into a post and people just say: 'oh there he goes, dude just hates Miller'... so I hear :)

Now I know how you must feel. :laugh:

Though I never thought I'd see the day where someone argued that Nash was bad because look, Tanner Glass has goals on youtube too!

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I wasn't trying to judge Nash's shot speed or saying he's Al Macinnis, more so the amount of shots he takes in a season and his puck possession when he's healthy and fully engaged. He missed a lot of time last year and was not healthy.

If he can get back to partial 2014-15 form or just stay healthy and PK less, his Corsi should be better and will the overall team shots.

Also, Joe Sakic didn't have a hard shot, but it was sneaky.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Yea, my argument was that posting a few highlight videos from youtube doesn't prove anything because you can make anyone look like an allstar by doing that. Wasn't really even bothering getting into the Nash debate, well aside from my 1 on 1 move he does all the time .

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Yea, my argument was that posting a few highlight videos from youtube doesn't prove anything because you can make anyone look like an allstar by doing that. Wasn't really even bothering getting into the Nash debate, well aside from my 1 on 1 move he does all the time .

I think your argument doesn't apply here because I didn't just post videos.

I wrote 600 words about Nash and provided the videos to try and provide video evidence to back up the points I was making in my analysis.

I didn't just say "Nash is great because look at these awesome goals! That proves it!"

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Where did the narrative of Buchnevich being some 150 pound weakling begin?

I heard a podcast today which included some Rangers fan.

The typical stuff

Buchnevich is a 150 pound weakling

Skjei sucks

Yandle is the greatest defenseman in the world.

This picture.

Screen-Shot-2016-06-27-at-1.54.34-PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad