Speculation: Offseason Thread #13: Running out of title ideas (Mod post #71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
when Kreider plays mean...and im talking, tries to kill people and doesnt worry about going to the penalty box...he's one of the most impactful players in the entire league. when he plays "safe"...you know...trying to not get penalties...he's nowhere near the same player.

bring back mean Kreider.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
if im the headcoach i tell Chris...look, you play mean, pissed off hockey for 82 games, and i'll deal with every stupid ass unnecessary AGGRESSION penalty you take. (tripping, hooking..that crap needs to go away)... if you board someone, i'll deal with it. if you run a goalie, i'll deal with it. if you send someone face first into the dasher and knock em out, i'll deal with it.

if you prance around and do nothing, your ass rides the pine.

when Kreider is pissed off, he's an absolute joy to watch.

Stepan is kinda the same way...when he plays mean, he's a MUCH better player. you just don't see it a lot. hes a good player without playing mean...hes a much player when he does play mean.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If G plays on the third pairing and 2nd PK unit, he could do okay.

Think where Paul Mara and Aaron Ward were late in their NYR careers.

NYR had a defense of

Staal-Girardi
Redden-Rozsival
Mara-Morris

in the 09 Playoffs. With the exception of no offensive ability they did okay and having that veteran depth not playing over their heads almost saw the Rangers through a round where we couldn't score any goals.

McDonagh-Skjei
Staal-Klein
Holden-Girardi
McIlrath

Works if either Skjei or McDonagh can shift to the right. I don't want to have to ask Klein to play top pairing again this year.

Staal-McDonagh could be possible if Staal improves, which I think is more of a possibility than Girardi becoming a top 4 guy again.

If someone picks up a long term injury, we've got a couple puck movers right on the brink of being in the lineup.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
if im the headcoach i tell Chris...look, you play mean, pissed off hockey for 82 games, and i'll deal with every stupid ass unnecessary AGGRESSION penalty you take. (tripping, hooking..that crap needs to go away)... if you board someone, i'll deal with it. if you run a goalie, i'll deal with it. if you send someone face first into the dasher and knock em out, i'll deal with it.

Stepan is kinda the same way...when he plays mean, he's a MUCH better player. you just don't see it a lot. hes a good player without playing mean...hes a much player when he does play mean.

Chris talked about that, he mentioned that that's what the organization wants from him.

4 years ago, my hockey guys and I were talking, and the consensus view then was that if Chris figured out that at his size and speed... He can dominate... Then the Rangers would have a star.

A mix between Gartner and LeClair... That was a lock for 30 goals.

Immaturity and inconsistency got in the way. At the time none of my guys were following Chris, but they all asked why didn't he torch the college game.

Team USA wanted him because of his skating... Rangers were trying to get him to turn pro after his freshman year...

It simply was his mental make up. He's just not a Lucic type of personality.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

NYR had a defense of

Staal-Girardi
Redden-Rozsival
Mara-Morris

in the 09 Playoffs. With the exception of no offensive ability they did okay and having that veteran depth not playing over their heads almost saw the Rangers through a round where we couldn't score any goals.

McDonagh-Skjei
Staal-Klein
Holden-Girardi
McIlrath

Works if either Skjei or McDonagh can shift to the right. I don't want to have to ask Klein to play top pairing again this year.

Staal-McDonagh could be possible if Staal improves, which I think is more of a possibility than Girardi becoming a top 4 guy again.

If someone picks up a long term injury, we've got a couple puck movers right on the brink of being in the lineup.

If we're going to stick with L-R pairs, then our best shot is to see if McIlrath can grow into a poor mans Top RHD... worst case scenario he grows into a 2nd pairing guy and we sign Shattenkirk next year

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Chris talked about that, he mentioned that that's what the organization wants from him.

4 years ago, my hockey guys and I were talking, and the consensus view then was that if Chris figured out that at his size and speed... He can dominate... Then the Rangers would have a star.

A mix between Gartner and LeClair... That was a lock for 30 goals.

Immaturity and inconsistency got in the way. At the time none of my guys were following Chris, but they all asked why didn't he torch the college game.

Team USA wanted him because of his skating... Rangers were trying to get him to turn pro after his freshman year...

It simply was his mental make up. He's just not a Lucic type of personality.

This new contract should be a really worthwhile investment for both Kreider and the Rangers. He'll have the long-term financial stability, and we'll have him locked up a very reasonable cap hit for the (assuming) increased production.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

The first paragraph screams Brad Marchand. I hate that guy more than Crosby. But the fact is he stands out and makes an impact on the game. Claude Julien and the Bruins deal with the antics and reprucussions because it allows Marchand to play his game and they hope for more positive to outway the negative. Usually it does.

Kreider needs to be a little more wreckless.

His aggressive play was a huge part of the Pittsburgh series turning around and the us owning the Montreal series during the cup run. None of it was intentional but he had the necessary impact.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
All of Kreider, Hayes and Miller could use a little more... what did JD used to call it, arriving in a bad mood, or something to that effect.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
All of Kreider, Hayes and Miller could use a little more... what did JD used to call it, arriving in a bad mood, or something to that effect.

"Arrive at the net with the puck and in ill humor." Fred Shero

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

NYR had a defense of

Staal-Girardi
Redden-Rozsival
Mara-Morris

McDonagh-Skjei
Staal-Klein
Holden-Girardi
McIlrath

I agree that Klein should not be forced into first pair D. But I'm not sold on Skjei being able or ready to assume that responsibility either. We need a bona fide fist pair D to team up with McD and everything else will fall into place.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Believe it when I see it.

It's not in his hockey DNA to play that way and when you have to force yourself to do it the effort will not be consistent

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This new contract should be a really worthwhile investment for both Kreider and the Rangers. He'll have the long-term financial stability, and we'll have him locked up a very reasonable cap hit for the (assuming) increased production.

Could turn out to be a very fair deal, but it remains to be seen the number of games Kreider has an impact.

Believe it when I see it.

It's not in his hockey DNA to play that way and when you have to force yourself to do it the effort will not be consistent

I think Miller is fine in that regards. The other two softies I agree on.

I think this is exactly "IT" when it comes to Kreider. Hayes too but Hayes is a player with a different skill set... more of a goof and an oddball so perhaps there's a maturity factor.

With Kreider however:

Chris Kreider needs to play a Blue Collar Game but Chris Kreider himself is not a "Blue Collar Guy".

Capisce everyone?

KreiderHouseRules*

I don't need Kreider to be "mean."

He can knock Seidenberg off his ass 4 times in a row while smiling for all I care.

As long as he's using his speed, size, and strength and consistently looking for his shot more, he's going to continue to improve.

member 116805

Kreider is a lamb, he can try to force himself to be a wolf, but it wont last

And is was 4 times now he hit Seidenberg? AND he was smiling?

Anyhow, that was 1 game, wow

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Still think we're basing way too much player evaluation on what you want a player to look like, and what a player actually is.

I'd take 12 Kreider's over 12 Callahan's every day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad