Offseason Talk Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Am I the only one who thinks we could live without Anderson. He had one good season, I think we can wait a bit before giving a huge contract and proclaiming his to be a sure fire 25-30 goal scorer. I think he scores less this year.

I partially agree. He's had 1 NHL season. He needs to prove more for the big bucks. He should score more this year but he hasn't proven enough. If the gap is vast, he is clearly asking for too much. Since wennberg was signed already, it shows the can clearly negotiate in good faith.

PB - All conjecture on my part, but can CBJ live without Andy for short term - yes. But over the long haul of a season - no, not just because of his toolbox (he's the talented banger we need), but because of 17 ES goals, with no PP ice time. And what appears to be a good feeling in the room about/around him. I agree that huge contract is not appropriate, this seems to be on Andy (and/or his agent) from what I can see. And the fact that Andy's toolbox is somewhat unique on CBJ roster (all the younger replacements are good, but smallish) is one of the reasons Andy's agent is overplaying his hand. But getting Andy to camp is important.

IBM - Agree with you - we just do not know the numbers. Someone suggested $1.5M year 1, $2.5M year 2 ($2.0 AAV) so that his qualifying offer for the next contract is higher - that sounds just about right given the comparables (Brown, etc.). If CBJ at $1.6 and Anderson at $2.5, both sides need to step away for 12 hours and come back with better offers.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Am I the only one who thinks we could live without Anderson. He had one good season, I think we can wait a bit before giving a huge contract and proclaiming his to be a sure fire 25-30 goal scorer. I think he scores less this year.

Of course wet can live without him but CBJ is a better team with him. I think he scores more than the 17 last year because he is expected to have a bigger role. He should be playing in the top 9 as a winger who can create space and fill the net. I also think he could see some PK time.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
DJtdKHqU8AAPJ2i.jpg

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014
Package Andy with Murray and get the #1 1/2 center from the Avs.
We keep Jenner and Bittner will be ready in a year or 2.

USA PAUL BITTNER

BIRTHYEAR 1996-11-04 BIRTHPLACE Crookston, MN, USA
AGE 20 NATION USA
POSITION LW/C SHOOTS L
HEIGHT 193 cm / 6'4" WEIGHT 97 kg / 214 lbs
CONTRACT 19/20
NHL DRAFT 2015 round 2 #38 overall by Columbus Blue Jackets
CAP HIT $747,500 powered by [Cap hits powered by Capfriendly.com]
SOCIAL Paul Bittner Twitter Paul Bittner Facebook Paul Bittner Instagram Paul Bittner
HIGHLIGHTS 1-time WHL Champion 1

A big-bodied power forward who plays with tenacity and an edge. Relentless on the forecheck and is able to bully his way to the net with his size and speed. Has a good stick around the net and has an accurate rocket of a shot. Thinks the game well and is able to frustrate opposing players while playing physically. All-in-all, an impact player who uses his size and skill to his advantage. Gaining consistency will be integral to his future success. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

Andy wants to play money ball, we play hard ball.
He has until tomorrow to make a deal. If not get rid of him.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He has until tomorrow to make a deal. If not get rid of him.

A penny wise, two-hundred and twenty pounds foolish.

Nothing like trading a blossoming power forward the summer before he busts out, and when he's unsigned so his value is extra low. But congratulations you saved $200k and look like a real hardass!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This board turns so quickly on its players its insane. Four months ago we were freaking out about the expansion draft and losing Anderson, now we can live without him. Unreal.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Friedman was a guest on Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown and Damien Cox.

Cox suggested if Duchene has a great start to the season, “they’ll never trade him.â€

“No, I think he’s going to get traded,†countered Friedman.

Cox pushed back, wondering why the Avalanche would deal Duchene if he’s playing great.

“Honestly Damien, I just think that the marriage is over. It’s now you’re still living in the same house. It’s just a matter of time. I don’t see this continuing too long. I just think that if he comes out and plays great it’s going to make it easier to deal him.â€

Later in the chat, Dreger made a few other noteworthy comments.

“Obviously Sakic hasn’t gotten a deal yet that makes sense,†he said. “But I can tell you this much: In dealing with other teams and managers, I know he’s talked to a lot of teams and he’s talking to a lot of teams – but man, are they weary. The asking price remains pretty strong, from what I’m told.

“The sense is that the Columbus Blue Jackets could be the likely landing spot, and I heard Murray’s name as a defenseman who potentially could be in that mix. I mean, that seems somewhat obvious.

“But beyond that, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot moving out there.â€

https://www.fanragsports.com/friedman-and-dreger-delve-into-duchene-non-trade-distraction/

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Ok i don't know why it took so long to pose together but here it is.
Colorado probably?
21296717_176793342886104_5070957342518935552_n.jpg

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think Anderson should talk to his teammate Joey ..... What's that? Joey is gone ?????

To follow up on the above point, I really think Anderson is making a mistake if he believes that being a hold out will not put him on the "s--- list" with the front office. I could see them signing him to an amount larger than what they want to pay him and then the FO immediately includes him in the trade for Duchene so that Anderson is stuck in Colorado with a last place team.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
After seeing Duchene's clip and that picture in front of the green screen, Jarmo needs to make this happen. He's done as an Av, and Jarmo shouldn't have to give up as much to get him.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
This board turns so quickly on its players its insane. Four months ago we were freaking out about the expansion draft and losing Anderson, now we can live without him. Unreal.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Jarmo has shown to be fair in his deals, and gone are the days that the Cbj needs to overpay players to have them sign here. If they don't want to be part of a winning team , playing for a cup, and they are jus trying to get top dollar, Cbj wont be that team , anymore. And this is a great thing. The jackets have finally arrived.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

“They aren’t going; the talks have stopped,” Darren Ferris said. “Nothing is really happening, and now he’s evaluating his options.”

In his first full NHL season, Anderson scored 17 goals — all at even strength, third-best on the Blue Jackets — and added 12 assists in 78 games.

He entered the offseason without a contract, and the Blue Jackets front office has maintained that they planned on him being present for the start of camp.

Friday, the Blue Jackets are going through on-ice testing at Nationwide Arena. Anderson’s group skated without him for roughly an hour-long session that began at 10:15 a.m. Players underwent medical testing Thursday and will take part in scrimmages and other drills Saturday in advance of Tuesday’s preseason opener at home against Chicago.

When or if Anderson will be involved is unknown.

“They have to be fair with the player,” Ferris said. “They may have been in their mind, but nothing has indicated to me that there’s any resolution in the short term. Josh wants to be with his teammates and loves the fans in Columbus, but you can’t make too big of a sacrifice. They’re asking him to undervalue himself by a great degree.”

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/2017...ract-talks-going-nowhere-andersons-agent-says

Atkinson

With emerging center Alexander Wennberg beside him and high-scoring left winger Artemi Panarin on the far side of the ice, veteran forward Cam Atkinson could be poised for his biggest season yet with the Blue Jackets in 2017-18.

It also could be his last in Columbus.

Atkinson, heading into the final year of his contract, was eligible to sign a contract extension as of July 1. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent July 1, 2018, if there’s still no deal in place.

“I know everyone’s different, but I told my agent (George Bazos) that if nothing really happens before the season starts, then that’s it (until after the season),” Atkinson said. “I don’t want to worry about getting a phone call about it every two weeks.

“I want to worry about what I can do to help the team win, scoring goals, whatever that may be. I don’t want the head games.”

https://theathletic.com/101878/2017...xtension-talks-will-cease-once-season-starts/

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Numbers would be great Ferris, like you did here.

"We've made them a fair offer at two years at $2.5 million a year, and they're unwilling to do it," Ferris said, according to AZCentral. "Tobi brings a lot of intangibles to that team. I know he's a fan favorite. He loves Arizona, but it's disappointing that they're unwilling to compensate this kid fairly."

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If Anderson goes elsewhere this year, and Jarmo's best offer for the guy who just finished 3rd on the team in ES goals is $1.6m, then it's Jarmo's fault.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Numbers would be great Ferris, like you did here.

Rieder ended up signing a 2-year deal at 2.25M AAV. This will get done, just like Rieder's deal got done before the season started last year.

If Anderson goes elsewhere this year, and Jarmo's best offer for the guy who just finished 3rd on the team in ES goals is $1.6m, then it's Jarmo's fault.

They'll meet in the middle somewhere. My only concern is if Anderson is asking for a 4M AAV extension :help:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Lol. C'mon , you have no clue what his offer is. Jarmo has shown he will pay players, and usually has the comps to back up his offers. At this point I would have to say its the agent trying to get way more than Andersons worth, and Jarmo wont play that game. We have plenty of players knocking on the Nhl door, if Anderson and his agent want to be unreasonable, no doubt he will sit, or will become a trade asset.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Rieder ended up signing a 2-year deal at 2.25M AAV. This will get done, just like Rieder's deal got done before the season started last year.
But his agent asked for trade before this and threatened to go to KHL. It was ugly.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Can always count on you with this, now Wenberg10's turn "JArmo is always bad with negotiations".
Ferris has a history...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad