Offseason Talk Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
There is no situation. Wennberg should continue to progress, Dubinsky can hold down the second line, and after that there are the young guys and the ones who can also play the wing. Maybe one of the youngsters steps up, maybe not.

The biggest mistake that could be made is foolishly rushing into a huge deal, thinking that this team is one player away from winning a Cup and needing to go for broke now because the window is closing.

It's not "going for broke" - I worked out the cap and roster implications at length in the 2019 thread. The Jackets would be well placed to contend over the long run with Duchene.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It's not "going for broke" - I worked out the cap and roster implications at length in the 2019 thread. The Jackets would be well placed to contend over the long run with Duchene.

I agree. Werenski as much as 7 mill although ater Wennberg may not have to be that much),Duchene 7.5 Panarin up to 8 it still works.Dubi & JJ gone. Bob ??

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I agree. Werenski as much as 7 mill although ater Wennberg may not have to be that much),Duchene 7.5 Panarin up to 8 it still works.Dubi & JJ gone. Bob ??

We'll know more at this time next season. Until then I'm not saying what will or won't work.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany

You could argue that while not an offensive threat like McDavid, Matthews, etc Werenski is to this point in the same conversation circles as those players. Given this you could be looking north of 7 million if Werenski has a good season.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Who is the last defenseman who got more than that on his second contract? All young defensemen are getting similar contracts. If he has a good year, he might get a little more than they are getting.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Who is the last defenseman who got more than that on his second contract? All young defensemen are getting similar contracts. If he has a good year, he might get a little more than they are getting.

At most, Werenski will sign a comparable contract to Ekblad. Knowing Jarmo/Zito, though, he'll sign an 8 year 5M AAV extension

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
At most, Werenski will sign a comparable contract to Ekblad.

I'm not sure anyone on the planet knows why Ekblad got that deal.

On a side note, Werenski did in year one what Karksson did in year two. I guess we'll see if Wereenski can build on what he did.

Last edited:

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I personally wouldn't go so far to say it would vault the Jackets past the Penguins - but it would make them much closer. With that and a couple years maturity I expect the Jackets to be neck and neck with the Pens if not ahead.

And before you go all thinking I'm just some pollyanna, I've been the most pessimistic poster around here in the past. Like before the 0-8 start, when you were all expecting the team to vie for the division.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
And before you go all thinking I'm just some pollyanna, I've been the most pessimistic poster around here in the past. Like before the 0-8 start, when you were all expecting the team to vie for the division.

Yeah, you and CBJWennberg10 should hang out.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I haven't gotten any accusations of late, so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be an optimist or a pessimist nowadays. Probably still "optimist", but I'm never sure. :D

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I've been negative in the past and I wouldn't call me an optimist now. I prefer realist.

Getting Duchene doesn't make us SC favorites. Just a better team imo.

2 years down the road I agree with major.

Get the deal done.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I've been negative in the past and I wouldn't call me an optimist now. I prefer realist.

Getting Duchene doesn't make us SC favorites. Just a better team imo.

2 years down the road I agree with major.

Get the deal done.
SC favorites? No

ECF contenders? Yes.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
SC favorites? No

ECF contenders? Yes.

If you're an ECF contender you're a SCF contender. There isn't a huge margin there. There's so much luck in this game. People act like it's all preordained because the Penguins won two in a row - when really any of a half dozen teams should have similar odds. I think the Jackets will be in that group.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
According to Friedman's 31 Thoughts we have come close to acquiring Duchene "multiple times" this summer. Would link but I'm on my phone.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-making-sense-matt-duchenes-situation/sn-amp/

So, what is that?

It seems certain Colorado could make a deal with Columbus very quickly. The Blue Jackets have been in this for a while, and it is believed they thought they were close to getting Duchene a couple of times. Sakic knows what Columbus is willing to offer, but they don’t like it enough.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
While I think Duchene would be a strong and exciting addition to the team, I would be disappointed in Jarmo if he crosses the line he himself has drawn in the sand.

Sakic knows our offer. It's up to him if he wants to take it or leave it.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
While I think Duchene would be a strong and exciting addition to the team, I would be disappointed in Jarmo if he crosses the line he himself has drawn in the sand.

Sakic knows our offer. It's up to him if he wants to take it or leave it.

I think Jarmo will hold steady. He knows what the players involved are worth. It's really up to Sakic to come to grips with Duchene's value league-wide. If anything, Jarmo has proven in his recent trade history that he wants something done that is mutually beneficial

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I can't remember if it was Friedman but some analyst was speculating that the Jackets have had the best offers all along, Sakic just doesn't feel the Jackets would be giving up enough, given the benefit to the Jackets Duchene provides. "It has to hurt a little" - that sort of thing. That makes sense to me, I haven't heard of an offer from another club that is as compelling.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I can't remember if it was Friedman but some analyst was speculating that the Jackets have had the best offers all along, Sakic just doesn't feel the Jackets would be giving up enough, given the benefit to the Jackets Duchene provides. "It has to hurt a little" - that sort of thing. That makes sense to me, I haven't heard of an offer from another club that is as compelling.
And I still think that's asinine - losing Jones didn't seriously "hurt" Nashville and yet it was still a stellar trade for both sides. If that truly is the metric by which he's measuring trade value, he's a ****ing incompetent idiot. It's about value to your team, not "I don't think they're being punished enough". :rolleyes:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I don't know if Sakic actually said something like that or if those words were used by Friedman to infer what he perceived as Sakic's motivation. If something like that came directly from Sakick's mouth, I'd stop any and all discussions with him. Eff that ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad