Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Anaheim makes no sense for Klefbom. They've already got Fowler, Lindholm and Larsson on the left side and only Manson on the right if Montour is moved. I've wondered about him as a target, but there's no chance in hell it happens.

Off topic, but is this site ever going to work properly again? The load times keep getting worse and it keeps randomly signing me out.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You will notice the ES part of the post. Those three scored 51 ES goals last year. Overall the wingers scored about 85-87 ES goals. The group you quoted had 75 ES goals and Strome had 8 or so as a winger for a total of about 83 ES goals from wingers other than Leon and Nuge.
The group of 10 wingers I posted had 65 ES goals. 75 goals total.

The group of 9 wingers in Maroon, Eberle, Lucic, Pitlick, Pouliot, Kassian, Slepy, Hendricks, Pak had 84 ES goals in 16/17. 103 total

I mean... I guess its possible if you break out all the goals scored by Drai, RNH (this season), Strome, Caggiula (last season), and Khaira when on the wing vs at centre the totals could be different. But just looking at guys who were strictly wingers over the past 2 seasons it's pretty clear which team had a better group of wingers and that it also isn't all that close to being the same team year to year. Only 2 of those 9 wingers from the 16/17 season are going to be here for this upcoming season.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
We can't really afford to spend $18M on our top-3 LW

Can move Drai to RW and Nuge back to centre. Can try Skinner on RW. Can even try Nuge on RW. But we need wing help and I think Skinner and Mcdavid could be a pretty deadly combo. We need help offensively. Our D does not have enough value to make a worth while trade at this point.

Klefbom - Needs a chance to bounce back, would be selling low and if he bounces back, he is basically untouchable again especially with that contract of his.
Sekera - Wont get us any value that is worth it, need to give him a chance to bounce back after major injury and he looked solid at the worlds so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Nurse, Russell, Larsson are not going anywhere as is either due to value to this team or not enough value around this league.

If Klef and Sekera bounce back, we are in good shape back there. Our offence is pathetic though, we have 3 players that can score. The rest are not very good. A guy like Skinner would be huge for this team.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think a worthwhile exercise would be to do what Vegas did and try to find good offensive players who are buried in the depth chart of other teams and aren't likely to get a look on the big club with existing players already under contract. (ie William Karlsson). These players would be my trade targets.

Just going through a few rosters, Domink Simon (PIT), Adam Erne (TB), Nick Baptiste (BUF). Buy low and see if they turn into something.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The idiot Eklund said that the idiot Chia is in "deep discussion" with Anaheim around Klefbom. I think Chia's trying to trade 10th overall and Klefbom for Montour Kase and Sam Steel. Book it. Trying to bring the Sherwood Park boy home. And i think he is repeatedly being told no,no,no. I think I'd def do that deal.

Eklund is full of shit.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The idiot Eklund said that the idiot Chia is in "deep discussion" with Anaheim around Klefbom. I think Chia's trying to trade 10th overall and Klefbom for Montour Kase and Sam Steel. Book it. Trying to bring the Sherwood Park boy home. And i think he is repeatedly being told no,no,no. I think I'd def do that deal.

Eklund is the master of throw shit on the wall to see what sticks. I can throw enough shit on a wall that I’d be correct a few times as well. Eklund is the modern day village idiot. Only he’s lost his village and seems to have found a home on Twitter.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
On unrelated news Nail Yakupov has parted way with Igor Larionov, Galchenyuk previously did the same. I think Yak and Gally needed reality checks at certain points to get them playing the right way and on the same page as their coaches and he certainly didn't seem to help matters as much as he could. They also have Tyler Seguin (has grown up post-trade) and Joshua Ho-Sang as clients kind of feeding into that skilled, but immature trope.

Reactions: oobga and Aerrol

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
On unrelated news Nail Yakupov has parted way with Igor Larionov, Galchenyuk previously did the same. I think Yak and Gally needed reality checks at certain points to get them playing the right way and on the same page as their coaches and he certainly didn't seem to help matters as much as he could. They also have Tyler Seguin (has grown up post-trade) and Joshua Ho-Sang as clients kind of feeding into that skilled, but immature trope.

I don't know much about agents or agencies, but it seems like other than Seguin, they only really have a lot of filler for clients.

Clients | The Will Sports Group

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
While I do love Yak, he's not the player this team should be adding.

He'd fill the same role Cammy did, but the Oil need to swap that spot for a 2 way winger, or at the very least a RHS.

I still think a guy like Hansen is the best fit for this roster. Gives you a guy that can play up and down the lineup, and help anchor the PK.

Add him to McNuge line, and then you've got a group that can go power vs. power, and actually shelter the rest of the lineup. Even if you don't add any other pieces, I actually don't mind the look of the roster.

RNH-McDavid-Hansen
Slepyshev-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Caggiula-Khaira-Aberg

Lines 1 and 3 I'd more or less write in with pen, but suddenly your able to generate a reward system for the tweener wingers: play hard and you play with Drai.

Start the season with that, and add a depth PK'er or two off the waiver wire for when injuries hit.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The group of 10 wingers I posted had 65 ES goals. 75 goals total.

The group of 9 wingers in Maroon, Eberle, Lucic, Pitlick, Pouliot, Kassian, Slepy, Hendricks, Pak had 84 ES goals in 16/17. 103 total

I mean... I guess its possible if you break out all the goals scored by Drai, RNH (this season), Strome, Caggiula (last season), and Khaira when on the wing vs at centre the totals could be different. But just looking at guys who were strictly wingers over the past 2 seasons it's pretty clear which team had a better group of wingers and that it also isn't all that close to being the same team year to year. Only 2 of those 9 wingers from the 16/17 season are going to be here for this upcoming season.
Here are my numbers from NHL.com

Code:
14    Maroon     24
9    Strome 
10    Puljujarvi 
10    Khaira    1
9    Caggiula    3
7    Lucic    11
7    Kassian    7
6    Slepyshev    4
5    Rattie 
3    Cammalleri 
2    Aberg 
2    Pakarinen    2
    Eberle    16
    Pitlick    8
    Pouliot    8
    Hendricks    4

2017-2018 is on the left, 2016-2017 is on the right. Looking at scoring logs I credited Strome with 9 of his ES goals as a winger. This year Caggiula was almost exclusively a winger. Last year he was a center for most of the first half so again looking at game logs I credited him with 3 of his 5 ES goals as a winger in 2016-2018.

The totals are 84 goals in 2017-2018 vs 88 goals in 2016-2018. The difference is basically Lucic.

Going forward the Oilers do need to improve on the wing. That I won't dispute. The point was that the scoring from the depth players was basically the same in the two years.

The Oilers also have a lot of potential on the wing in Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Maksimov, Safin, Hebig and even Rattie who despite his lack of production to date is actually very talented. I'd like to see them add a veteran scoring winger to this mix but not at any cost. I would also have been happy to see them make a deal for Mascherin to increase the odds of a long term internal solution.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I would love Josh Anderson on this team. Great skater with solid size and shot, and is good defensively. He has tons of untapped potential IMO. Something around Strome maybe?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That makes no sense to me. Anaheim's D is deep and young. Their forward core is aging. They need Steel more than Klef. Even if Steel isn't involved, they still don't need Klef
I guess, but the flip side of that is the Ducks getting cost control on their blueline, which helps offset costs else where. I also think the Ducks missed Vatanen more then they realized.

Not saying it's a sure thing, but for the Ducks, having all of Fowler, Lindholm, Manson and Kelfbom under contract for atleast the next 3 years at a combined $19.973M might make a lot of sense to them.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
And yet at ES this year's version of the Oilers scored the same number of goals as the previous year. In fact collectively the wingers scored about the same number of goals over the two seasons. The big difference between the two years was on the GA side.

Yeah, I have a hard time thinking that another winger with a better shot was going to turn around that season start we had. Everyone seemed snake bit to start the year. And even when we did score, our goalies and special teams were tanking games for us anyways. For sure Eberle was not going to help our disaster 1st PP unit, he already lost his spot to Letestu last year, and Woodcroft was all in on the Letestu train pretty much until we traded him. An offensive winger wasn't going to help our PK that was bleeding golden chances, or stop pucks for our goalies that couldn't stop a beach ball in the first 2 months of the year either.

Islanders finished their last 2 months of the season pretty much exactly like we started ours. Scoring dried up, every mistake was ending up in their net. Pens almost had their entire season like our first 2 months offensively. All that firepower, but they had a solid 3-4 months where no one on their team seemed able to score 5v5, except they still won games with their special teams being the difference, something we had no chance of getting with the boobs we had on the bench.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That makes no sense to me. Anaheim's D is deep and young. Their forward core is aging. They need Steel more than Klef. Even if Steel isn't involved, they still don't need Klef
Wouldn't shock me to see Chia looking at getting a guy that Yawney worked with. Not sure that anything would materialize, but who knows.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Anyone else think Chia will call the Canucks and ask for Juolevi? Good chemistry with Pulju and could probably play next year after being 2nd in points by u23 d in liiga. He probably is looking to make another Reinhart like deal: get a young guy still on his elc that hasn't proven himself at the NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad