Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's more that they have multiple options.

Cover Ovechkin? Oshie is open in the slot for a one-timer. Cover Ovechkin and Oshie? Backstrom or Kuznetsov can actually shoot off the wall. Play passive and try to block the shooting lanes? Carlson can walk in and pick a corner.
Against the Oilers, play agressive and they can't figure it out

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Caps are more than just a shot from Ovechkin. They also adjust the ways in which they open him up and get the puck to him.

Yes, that's my point. You can't and don't stop the most obvious option in the world because you can't cover it without being burned elsewhere.

You can't have four guys boxed in under the slot, being aggressive on Connor to prevent the cross ice pass if the point man is a threat. They'll either have to spread out and be in his face or let it turn into a Burns-esque shooting gallery.

How often was Klefbom under pressure with the puck? Almost never. How often were they just playing catch? A lot. Connor doesn't shoot and the only one time option was off the table. Klefbom shoots a lot, but no one-timer. It's linear. There won't be a seam for any shooter, Puljujarvi or otherwise, until there is a reason for the PK to spread out. Best way to do that is to be very mobile, which Connor doesn't seem to want to do, or have a big time shot from the point.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailMcJesus

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Against the Oilers, play agressive and they can't figure it out
That tends to happen when you have a PP setup that doesn't enable players to one-time the puck because they're playing in the wrong place. The new coaching staff will hopefully figure out that they either need to utilize a RH shot one-timer if they insist on playing McDavid on the right half wall, or they need to switch McDavid to the left half wall if they want to utilize Draisaitl and Klefbom's shot. Still made no sense to me how the old setup was so oblivious to this that they actually had guys set up on the wrong side of the ice for the personnel they had. Similarly I don't understand why they had Puljujarvi on the 2nd unit in the bumper spot in the slot. If they want to use him from there as a one-timer option then they need to have another big RH shot option on the cross seam pass, otherwise they just take away the pass option to Puljujarvi and completely waste his skillset.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yes, that's my point. You can't and don't stop the most obvious option in the world because you can't cover it without being burned elsewhere.

You can't have four guys boxed in under the slot, being aggressive on Connor to prevent the cross ice pass if the point man is a threat. They'll either have to spread out and be in his face or let it turn into a Burns-esque shooting gallery.

How often was Klefbom under pressure with the puck? Almost never. How often were they just playing catch? A lot. Connor doesn't shoot and the only one time option was off the table. Klefbom shoots a lot, but no one-timer. It's linear. There won't be a seam for any shooter, Puljujarvi or otherwise, until there is a reason for the PK to spread out. Best way to do that is to be very mobile, which Connor doesn't seem to want to do, or have a big time shot from the point.
Then run the powerplay off of the left half-wall and offer yourself multiple one-time options. Klefbom has a bomb and Draisaitl is deadly from the bumper position. We have a number of skilled forwards on the roster, so spread the wealth. The obvious part of the powerplay wasn't just the fact that we were always searching cross-seam. The mentality of the powerplay is 'when in doubt, pass it to Connor'. And a Connor that isn't using his speed to his advantage is a pretty average weapon.

The reality is that there aren't a ton of realistic options for this right shot defender and there's even less cap space this summer to address it considering there's about four open slots at forward that need to get filled not including Ryan Strome. Unless we're looking at a Klefbom for: trade, the powerplay issue is going to have to be addressed through our new coaching staff because the word's out--the Oilers crutch is that cross-seam on the powerplay.

Want one-time options from the right side? Use the forwards. Aberg, Strome, Puljujarvi. Utilize free agency--Jannik Hansen and Austin Czarnik I've mentioned. Why is the right side point shot the missing piece--it seems that's by design.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
"Losing" a trade implies we don't get the better player in the deal. The Oilers trading talent for supporting players has been the problem.

Yes and what makes you think they're going to win one now?

No, not really. There's about $5M in floatable cap space after RFAs and anything that would happen here would be via trade, so you aren't fitting in a UFA salary here.

$5m is the upper end of things. can't do much with that.

The hole they NEED to fill and have needed to fill since Justin Schultz was traded (as subpar as he was in that role when he was here) has more potentially available market options now than it has in years and may have in years to come.

*Jeff Petry

Who are all these superior options available? Faulk isn't an upgrade if it costs you Klefbom or Puljujarvi or even the 10th. Who else is out there?

The Oilers do not have great NHL players for trade assets. I like Oscar Klefbom and Jesse Puljujarvi, but there are better players than them available. There is reason to think that you can upgrade on the teams talent level with a John Carlson level addition this summer, and there may not be options available in a year or two (I'm not pushing Klefbom+Pulju for Carlson, so don't @ me on that).

I'm really confused. The Oilers can't go the UFA route. And their tradeable assets aren't worth a damn. So where's this upgrade coming from?

The top-5 PP was unchanged into the year. IIRC alterations didn't occur until WAY too long after it didn't work.

Mark Letestu and Milan Lucic were the two biggest goal scorers for the Edmonton Oilers in 16-17 on the PP. Neither were a threat at any point because one-time passes weren't getting across to Letestu and shots weren't getting through for Lucic.

And the PP actually got worse after they tried to fix it (it went from 21.4% in the first 20 games to 12.3% with 19 goals over the remainder of the season).

Reactions: djdub

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Like how they were putting Strome on the right side, eliminating his shot or putting the guy with the best shot on the team (JP, if he got any PP time) in front of the net, taking away Mcdavids strengths by having him stationary on the right side. Bieksa was right when he said they were using a PP setup from 10 years ago. They have the players to run a dangerous PP, they just need to utilize them better.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
It’s pretty bad when we are going to be a cap team next year and we are going to end up with the same players

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Was looking at WAR data for which players do and don’t contribute to wins above replacement. Obviously McDavid is the best which was a given. I isolated just for dmen and was surprised.

Suter was #1 which I can see (but wouldn’t have thought he’d be tops) but #2 was Spurgeon. I think we all know Spurgeon is damn good dman but just didn’t expect him at #2. He would be a god send for the Oilers. Can’t see us getting him but just saying...

A guy that we could get for free in UFA and was surprisingly strong is De Haan. And he probably wouldn’t cost an arm and leg either.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Not really. We had a down year last year and we had the same group 2 years ago and that group made it to the 2nd Round of the playoffs. So what's to say they don't get better?

Eberle 3rd leading scorer- gone
Maroon 3rd leading goal scorer- gone
Letestu 2nd leading playoff scorer- gone
Talbot, Klefbom, Sekera and Lucic all with legitimate uncertainty.

I wouldn't consider that the same group that made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
I have a feeling the Oilers or Jets sign Reeves. Don’t tell me why. I also think Edmonton brings back Hendricks.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
I have a feeling the Oilers or Jets sign Reeves. Don’t tell me why. I also think Edmonton brings back Hendricks.
I think Chia is defenitly looking at Hendricks to put this locker room together. Reaves doesn't really make sense though.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I wouldn't consider that the same group that made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Things are lining up much better next season than they did this past season though.

Sekera and Klefbom were dealing with injury issues. Larsson too. That not only gives legit expectation that next season they will be better, but goalies often bounce back if their defense does well, and do badly if the D struggles. Talbot is a solid goalie. He's a good bet to bounce back.

As for personel, I can't believe you are defending 2016-17 Eberle. All season he was considered to be slumping, and he was worse in the playoffs. He was high ranking in scoring, but we were a top heavy team that season. We are actually better heading into next season with the RNH and McDavid chemistry established now, and with Nurse having a breakthrough season.

Obviously, also the offseason hasn't started. Chia will likely be aggressive

Reactions: DasDrai

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Things are lining up much better next season than they did this past season though.

Sekera and Klefbom were dealing with injury issues. Larsson too. That not only gives legit expectation that next season they will be better, but goalies often bounce back if their defense does well, and do badly if the D struggles. Talbot is a solid goalie. He's a good bet to bounce back.

As for personel, I can't believe you are defending 2016-17 Eberle. All season he was considered to be slumping, and he was worse in the playoffs. He was high ranking in scoring, but we were a top heavy team that season. We are actually better heading into next season with the RNH and McDavid chemistry established now, and with Nurse having a breakthrough season.

Obviously, also the offseason hasn't started. Chia will likely be aggressive

How confident can we be that Sekera will get back to or at least close to how he played in 2016-2017? Klefbom should be a safe bet to bounce back but he needs to be healthy. I have no doubt Talbot will bounce back because he is coming off a terrible season but it likely won't be as good as his 2016-2017. He probably needs to be about a top 10 goalie (or Koskinen plays really well).

Never have and never will defend 2016-2017 Eberle. As frustrating as he was that season, he was still a 20 goal, 50 point winger that was not even close to being replaced. We have the RNH and McDavid chemistry but that leaves Draisaitl on his own. My issue here is we have only three forwards we can confidently say are top 6 forwards and a 4th (Lucic) who has value if he bounces back but he isn't a skill player. I could certainly see Puljujarvi taking that step but he can't be forced into it. I have nothing but good things to say about Nurse.

It doesn't sound like he intends to be too aggressive. "Tweaks" is the word he used.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How confident can we be that Sekera will get back to or at least close to how he played in 2016-2017? Klefbom should be a safe bet to bounce back but he needs to be healthy. I have no doubt Talbot will bounce back because he is coming off a terrible season but it likely won't be as good as his 2016-2017. He probably needs to be about a top 10 goalie (or Koskinen plays really well).

Never have and never will defend 2016-2017 Eberle. As frustrating as he was that season, he was still a 20 goal, 50 point winger that was not even close to being replaced. We have the RNH and McDavid chemistry but that leaves Draisaitl on his own. My issue here is we have only three forwards we can confidently say are top 6 forwards and a 4th (Lucic) who has value if he bounces back but he isn't a skill player. I could certainly see Puljujarvi taking that step but he can't be forced into it. I have nothing but good things to say about Nurse.

It doesn't sound like he intends to be too aggressive. "Tweaks" is the word he used.
to me, the only real issue is the defense. Chia made me somewhat happy when one of the first things he said was that he wanted to get a PP dman. Imo, we will be shocked when we fix that issue, and how much it will fix other issues on the team, even if that Dman is one-dimensional

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
to me, the only real issue is the defense. Chia made me somewhat happy when one of the first things he said was that he wanted to get a PP dman. Imo, we will be shocked when we fix that issue, and how much it will fix other issues on the team, even if that Dman is one-dimensional

Don't you think though that if/when a PP defenseman is added, one of the $4+ million defensemen on the team needs to go to make cap space? Or is there a PP defenseman with a lower salary that is attainable?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Don't you think though that if/when a PP defenseman is added, one of the $4+ million defensemen on the team needs to go to make cap space? Or is there a PP defenseman with a lower salary that is attainable?
I agree with that sentiment, not just for salary reasons (which isn't a huge deal imo), but just because adding someone without moving someone else out would leave a bottom pairing of Nurse-Russell potentially, and that seems crowded. But maybe we could trade for that new Dman, and a piece back could even be a major player like Klef or Nurse

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Trouba is arbitration eligible... Nurse is not.

Jets may have to move on from Trouba to fit in some of the BIG salaries they have to pay out over the next couple seasons.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Just doing some background search on our new coaches and I wasn't aware Emanuel Viveiros coached the Austrian National team for multiple years, he could potentially give us the inside track on Grabner or Vanek. I'm of the opinion that Grabner will likely be cost prohibitive and it appears like he has preference to staying in New York.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

And yet at ES this year's version of the Oilers scored the same number of goals as the previous year. In fact collectively the wingers scored about the same number of goals over the two seasons. The big difference between the two years was on the GA side.

Reactions: oobga and Aerchon

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Just doing some background search on our new coaches and I wasn't aware Emanuel Viveiros coached the Austrian National team for multiple years, he could potentially give us the inside track on Grabner or Vanek. I'm of the opinion that Grabner will likely be cost prohibitive and it appears like he has preference to staying in New York.

Grabner sucked in New Jersey, the Rangers are rebuilding, and the Islanders are already spending big on the wings. New York might not be an option

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Based on Stauffers chat with Friedman, the Viveoros hiring just sunk any chance we need Vanek. Would write more but this mobile site is junk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad