Official WJC Discussion Thread - now featuring 3 Leafs (Lily; Woll; Rasanen)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I wanted Girard, Hart, or DeBrincat, and IIRc there was 1 other D in there, may have been Clague because IIRC he was a guy who could have went in the 1st round potentially. Didn't really consider Korshkov at the time, but remembered him from the WJC where he did amazing that year so I was fine with it. Every pick everyone makes it likely in hindsight not going to be the best guy to take as there's countless guys after them, the odds are 1 of them will be better, but you don't get to pick the field, you get 1 guy, if it's a top 5-10 guy at that pick then you did a good job

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
When critiquing Hunter's 3 year reign I'd say Korshkov will stand out so far. The first year he declined Konency but took Dermott. I think he reached with Korshkov but time will tell. His last draft I think he played it safer. Rasanen may be a steal at 60th in a weak draft. I'd rate him our best darkhorse from his 3 drafts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keon1963

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Sam Steel playing alongside my favourite Kelowna Rocket hometown player Dillan Dube and Jordan Kyrou are likely going to lead Canada and make a big dent on the WJC scoring leaders.

I'm also very interested to see how Kale Clague plays on D for Canada.. He is the player that was on my personal draft board as BPA at #31 OA when the Leafs took overager Korshkov instead. He would look real good in Leafs prospect pool.

I was really hoping to draft Carter Hart personally.

Curious to follow Woll vs Hart going forward.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'm not going to lie and say that Korshkov was who I wanted (Mascherin), but this bellyaching is completely irrational and frankly hilarious. By being drafted overage you were all robbed of getting behind him and cheering for his WJC success. By using both our 2016 2nds on non 98's you're robbed of having high quality players at this tournament. Letting those feelings dictate the evaluation of the pick is not rational, you just want the gratification now, and that pick isn't giving it.

An in any case he's not at this tournament, he's already had his WJC success, as did every other high pick we had from this tourney's draft window. This thread should be about the players that are there.
We've got a top pairing D and a likely starting goaltender on medal contenders, plus maybe another depth defender having a great learning experience for next year. No Kelowna Rockets, but personally that's enough to keep me interested on the side while cheering for my country

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think a lot of us are just starting see how hard making the NHL is. This is no rehearsal! Leafs aren' t as good without a healthy Mathews.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Fun Fact: Rasanen is the tallest player to ever play in the World Juniors

Another fun fact: The 5 Dmen playing ahead of Rasanen (a 2nd round pick) in Miro Heiskanen, Henri Jokiharju, Olli Juolevi, Urho Vaakanainen, Juuso Välimäki on team Finland are all former 1st round selections, making their defense group strong and deep and very tall ;).

We get to see these fun facts in action tomorrow on Boxing day :hyper::hyper:, as team Canada opens up against Finland (who might be the pre-tournament favourites for Gold) mainly because of those fun facts.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Some guys to watch at the WJC (for the 2018 draft):

Finland

C Rasmus Kupari - Top 15 Pick

Slovakia
LD Martin Fehevary - 3rd/4th round pick
LD Michal Ivan - 5th-7th round pick
C/RW Filip Krivosik - Undrafted (D+1)
LW Adam Liska - Undrafted
C Milos Roman - 2nd/3rd round pick

USA
LW/C Brady Tkachuk - Top 10 pick
LD Scott Perunovich - Undrafted (D+2)
LD Quinn Hughes - Top 10 pick

Belarus
RD Vladislav Yeryomenko - 4th/5th round pick (D+1)
C Yegor Sharangovich - Undrafted (D+2)
RW Igor Martynov - Undrafted (D+1)
RW Vladislav Mikhalchuk - Undrafted

Czech Republic
G Jakub Skarek - 2nd/3rd round pick
RD Filip Kral - 3rd/4th round pick
C Krystof Hrabik - 2nd/3rd round pick
RW Martin Kaut - 2nd/3rd round pick
C/LW Jakub Lauko - 2nd/3rd round pick
LW Filip Zadina - Top 5 pick

Russia
RW Artyom Manukyan - Undrafted (D+2)
RW Andrei Svechnikov - Top 5 pick
LW Alexei Polodyan - Undrafted (D+2)

Sweden
LD Rasmus Dahlin - Top 3 pick
C/LW Glenn Gustafsson - Undrafted (D+2)
C/LW Isac Lundestrom - 1st round pick

Switzerland
G Akira Schmid - Undrafted (unlikely to play)
LD Davyd Barandun - Undrafted
LD Tim Berni - 5th-7th round pick
LW Philipp Kurashev - Top 40 pick
C/RW Sven Leuenberger - Undrafted (D+1)
LD Nico Gross - 5th-7th round pick
LW/RW Nando Eggenberger - Top 4o pick

Last edited:
Reactions: Swissfan5411

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This could very likely be the top 5 picks in the upcoming draft

1) Rasmus Dahlin
2) Andrei Svechnikov
3) Filip Zadina
4) Brady Tkachuk
5) Quinn Hughes

HM. Adam Boqvist (not playing)

All playing in this tournament and exciting to scout and watch in action.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
They say Brady Tkachuk is more of **** disturber than Matthew is, lol

lets hope he goes out west too then, Matthew is a POS who intentionally tries to injure other players if Brady is worse i dont want him playing the leafs more than 2 times a year

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Makes one wonder what the cost to get a top 5 might be? Gardiner plus 20th overall ? Has anyone ever traded a lottery pick?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Makes one wonder what the cost to get a top 5 might be? Gardiner plus 20th overall ? Has anyone ever traded a lottery pick?

0% chance that happens. Top 5 picks are NEVER traded and if they were, it'd be for something a lot more than that.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lets hope Lilly plays amazing at the World juniors and dominates just like the AHL.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
FWIW, Rasanen is not on the initial roster for Finland.
http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/420/IHM4200FIN_33_1_0_FIN.pdf

Only 18 skaters, including 6 dmen, were named. Perhaps this is an error or perhaps the Finns are delaying the final decision on the roster.
There is no way they won't have a 7th dmen for the tournament, might just wait until after the game tomorrow to name it. Canada doesn't have Fabbro or Mahura on there roster right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad