Official WJC Discussion Thread - now featuring 3 Leafs (Lily; Woll; Rasanen)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Feel like there's a lot of overreactions to how a teenager reacted to the biggest disappointment of his life.

As for the penalties, we got what we deserved. As I said in the main board GDT, I'm not interested in a discussion on whether or not someone embellished. I saw clear penalties. I saw undisciplined play. It doesn't matter if the Canadian grabs the stick or falls easy if you have already by then stepped into his lane and taken him out of play away from the puck. You're gonna get called, and that's just how it should be.

I'm going to applaud the refs to be honest. It's getting rare to see games where the referees are actually enforcers of the rules, not game managers. So nice to see a game where the referees didn't put away the whistles, tried to find makeup calls, tried to manage emotions etc. It came back to haunt my team (well not really, our inability to penetrate the slot did at even strength did) this time, but this is what I'd like to see more of. Even if that means a 6-1 differential in penalties.
I think the only complaint I have is not calling the slash on Liljegren. Otherwise the refs were pretty okay, albeit not perfect. it's not like the powerplays helped Canada anyway

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
For a Nation that still lives Kerry Fraser - Gilmour Gretzky High Stick '93 ... there sure is a lot of driving on the high road going on

Definitely some bump worthy posts for the next Leaf game ;)

Ohh stop. I just rewatched the game incase i just got to caught up in the action and had blinders on or something.

Stop. One swede penalty was when it was already 3-1 and the three previous were undisciplined and Dahlens was a gross stupidity. The one was a dive head first into formentons legs tripping or he was scoring likely. Another a dumb interference hit of a Canadian without the puck.

Didn't matter anyway our power play was a wreck and scored Zero powerplay goals.

A perfect day for it to go dry to when the p!ss poor display of sour grapes blamed the refs for the loss.

Quite a bunch of classlessness became apparent from the coach not getting 40 feet away from where his medal was presented and he stuffed it in his right pocket.

Throwing the medal into the stands. Wow butbthat was a emotional snap( doesnt bother me). He tossed it really easy too, didn't whip it or anything nasty. It was a polite toss.

Fans not accepting it and looking for excuses to minimize any credit a damn good Canadian championship team deserves.

We don't need credit but it would be nice sportsmanship.

Bump this too!

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think that Timmy was every bit as impressive as Rielly was at hus U19 WJC

I do too.... played a refined defensively focused tournament. He see's everything and makes good reads. He wasn't pinching the entire tournament that much.

Just elite poise with the puck and elite passing when he moves the puck.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don't think there was a defenseman there who outclassed him tbh. Makar and Dahlin are the only ones I'd say looked better, but not really by that much
Dahlia was not very good when the chips were down last night and his immaturity was on display. He took a very stupid penalty at a bad time and hurt his team then had the gall to act like he was called for doing nothing.

Nylander was another who was not that good as well. He plays a very perimeter game at this time and will need to improve in this area to be a effective NHL player.

Lily had a good tourney

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Dahlia was not very good when the chips were down last night and his immaturity was on display. He took a very stupid penalty at a bad time and hurt his team then had the gall to act like he was called for doing nothing.

Nylander was another who was not that good as well. He plays a very perimeter game at this time and will need to improve in this area to be a effective NHL player.

Lily had a good tourney
yeah I can't be anything but impressed by the showing Liljegren had. I always knew he was a good skater with a lot of skill when he had the puck, and he displayed that. He also showed a nice physical edge, and some poise and responsible play overall. he looked much more well-rounded than I expected and I still can't believe he fell to us.

Reactions: stickty111

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Lily had a good tourney

I was kinda shocked by Dahlins post game comments blaming Canadian "dives", saying playing that kind of hockey is unheard of in Sweden and stating his performance was not up to his standards as his teammates were not easy to play with.

Maybe it was just the shock of losing and all but after what happened with the medals, not a good look for the Swedish juniors. If this was a Canadian team it would be getting roasted in the press.

Reactions: FieldOfDreams

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I was kinda shocked by Dahlins post game comments blaming Canadian "dives", saying playing that kind of hockey is unheard of in Sweden and stating his performance was not up to his standards as his teammates were not easy to play with.

Maybe it was just the shock of losing and all but after what happened with the medals, not a good look for the Swedish juniors. If this was a Canadian team it would be getting roasted in the press.

He is a 17-year-old kid, I think its best if the Swedish coach steps down, he doesn't seem to be a good leader of kids.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Joseph Woll had a tough tournament.. out of the games I watched, he did make some amazingly athletic saves though. And a lot of the goals against were quality snipes.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Joseph Woll had a tough tournament.. out of the games I watched, he did make some amazingly athletic saves though. And a lot of the goals against were quality snipes.

I agree with this. Outside of maybe 2 goals he played pretty well. He definetly needs to work on his high glove. That seemed to be where he was getting beat consistently. He has amazing edgework and down low coverage but should work on his hand/eye reaction with his glove instead of just relying on glove positioning. Also thought it looked like he maybe lost focus at times. He has good size, tools and a good head on his shoulders. Still confident in him.

Reactions: Keon1963

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad