Official WJC Discussion Thread - now featuring 3 Leafs (Lily; Woll; Rasanen)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm well aware of Button's rankings. but I'd slow down on the term lock.

Here are his rankings from that exact same time period last year

Craig’s List: Patrick, Liljegren in top two spots - Article - TSN

and he had Chychrun at 5 in November of 2015 for the 2016 draft.

Forwards dominate top of 2016 NHL prospect race - Article - TSN

There is a lot of hockey left to be played. The only clear locks to go top 10 right now are Dahlin and Svechnikov. Guys like Zadina are getting close to being locks. Boqvist's stock will still heavily depend on how he plays at the U-18's if he doesn't get ice time in a men's league, which makes his stock quite volatile.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Sam Steel playing alongside my favourite Kelowna Rocket hometown player Dillan Dube and Jordan Kyrou are likely going to lead Canada and make a big dent on the WJC scoring leaders.

I'm also very interested to see how Kale Clague plays on D for Canada.. He is the player that was on my personal draft board as BPA at #31 OA when the Leafs took overager Korshkov instead. He would look real good in Leafs prospect pool.
My guy at 31 was Kyrou...Leading the OHL in scoring ...Can play the game any way you want...Grit and skill...Hope Korshkov works out though....Looks good also and hopefully will give us some size (with skill) that we presently lack.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm well aware of Button's rankings. but I'd slow down on the term lock.

There is a lot of hockey left to be played. The only clear locks to go top 10 right now are Dahlin and Svechnikov. Guys like Zadina are getting close to being locks. Boqvist's stock will still heavily depend on how he plays at the U-18's if he doesn't get ice time in a men's league, which makes his stock quite volatile.

Boqvist was a star at the last U-18 Ivan Hlinka tournament.

Dahlin’s countryman Adam Boqvist, a 5-foot-11, 168-pound blueliner who is said to have electrifying offensive ability.

Boqvist, on the other hand, is going to get a lot of the Karlsson comparable, and for good reason, another scout says.

“I have no idea if he'll ever turn out to be as good as Erik Karlsson because Karlsson really is something special, but I can tell you this – (Boqvist) is better, further ahead of Karlsson, at the same age. I've scouted them both. As 16- or 17-year-olds, Boqvist is better than Karlsson was. Physically, their size, and the way they play the game, there's a [Karlsson] comparison to be made.”

Boqvist plays for Brynas in the Swedish junior league. He wowed scouts with a one-goal, eight-point tournament for Sweden at the Ivan Hlinka Under-18 tournament in August.

I really was hoping to see Boqvist in this tourney and see how he looked with Dahlin, Brannstrom, Liljegren. The Swedish junior games are easy access to view.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Boqvist was a star at the last U-18 Ivan Hlinka tournament.
I know, I watched the games. My point is, the U-18's in April which will be somewhere in Russia (Its rumored it might be moved to Sochi due to radiation in the Southern Urals) will be a big deal, if he doesn't get ice-time in a men's league this year.

My main point is, that his stock is quite volatile. As pointed out with Liljegren who was ranked 2nd by Button at the exact same time last year. The only guys who are pretty much absolute locks to go in the top 10 are Dahlin and Svechnikov. Everyone else could fall out. The draft positioning is still extremely volatile with this much of the season left.

He's a likely top 10 pick, but he isn't a lock, and there are realistic scenarios in which he gets passed.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
I admire Boqvist's self-belief at the beginning of the season but he was never going to crack that Brynas defence as a 17-year-old. Now he's been loaned to a Allsvenskan team but I still think reporting to the Knights would have been the best choice for his draft position

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My guy at 31 was Kyrou...Leading the OHL in scoring ...Can play the game any way you want...Grit and skill...Hope Korshkov works out though....Looks good also and hopefully will give us some size (with skill) that we presently lack.

Hunter took Korshkov the 2o year old passed over in 2 previous drafts but 3 players all likely to be stars for Canada in this tournament Kyrou, Clague and goalie Carter Hart all mid 2nd rounders taken shortly after Korshkov.

I personally worry about Korshkov interest to come to NA.. He hasn't shown any interest at all so far to venture over here even for summer events. Even when he was free to sign with Leafs he immediately signed a 2 year extension to play in the KHL. Hopefully Hunter has some insight into this issue.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Heard that with his bad year Rasanen could slide into his spot.

He doesn't really need to steal his spot since the top D in theory are those 7 they both could make it. It was assumed for a while that Salo would be in the top 6, and with his down year maybe Rasanen could steal that spot instead of being the 7th D but everyone dresses for every game anyway the 7th D just rotates in when necessary so it isn't like it would be the difference between dressing for games and being scratched.

But with Kotkansalo playing well to push for a spot if there's an additional D cut(that would be my guess instead of going 12 F/8 D but sometimes teams do that) then it would be between him Rasanen, or Salo.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I admire Boqvist's self-belief at the beginning of the season but he was never going to crack that Brynas defence as a 17-year-old. Now he's been loaned to a Allsvenskan team but I still think reporting to the Knights would have been the best choice for his draft position
The loan is only for 2 games.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hunter took Korshkov the 2o year old passed over in 2 previous drafts but 3 players all likely to be stars for Canada in this tournament Kyrou, Clague and goalie Carter Hart all mid 2nd rounders taken shortly after Korshkov.

By "be stars" do you mean things like lead their team scoring and finish top ten in the tournament?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I know, I watched the games. My point is, the U-18's in April which will be somewhere in Russia (Its rumored it might be moved to Sochi due to radiation in the Southern Urals) will be a big deal, if he doesn't get ice-time in a men's league this year.

He's a likely top 10 pick, but he isn't a lock, and there are realistic scenarios in which he gets passed.

I'm not sure how you can say you don't believe he is a top 10 pick? This kid looks like the real deal to me. :help:
Adam Boqvist vs Rasmus Dahlin Highlights

The Draft Analyst: RHD Adam Boqvist Highlights (2018 NHL Draft)

The Draft Analyst - Published on Oct 28, 2017

Swedish defenseman Adam Boqvist is one of the most electrifying players available for the 2018 NHL draft. Blessed with speed, quickness and a booming shot, Boqvist clearly is the best blueliner in Sweden's under-20 Superelit, and would challenge for first overall had countryman (and defenseman) Rasmus Dahlin not attracted most of the headlines and attention. Boqvist was the best defenseman at the U18 Ivan Hlinka tournament in August of 2017 and should lead Sweden at the U18 world championship next April.

Reactions: supermann_98

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm not sure how you can say you don't believe he is a top 10 pick? This kid looks like the real deal to me. :help:
Adam Boqvist vs Rasmus Dahlin Highlights

The Draft Analyst: RHD Adam Boqvist Highlights (2018 NHL Draft)

You are seriously misunderstanding my point. At the moment he is a likely top 10 pick, but he is far from an absolute lock like you phrased it. His stock is still very volatile due to mostly playing in J-20's, which will make his stock heavily dependent on how he shows at international events.

When have I ever said I don't think he's a likely top 10 pick. All, I was saying is that he isn't a lock due to his circumstances and the amount of the season left.

Edit: Would you have called Liljegren a lock for top 10 last year or Chychrun the year before? They were both held in similar regard at the point of the season of which Button's rankings come from.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011

I personally worry about Korshkov interest to come to NA.. He hasn't shown any interest at all so far to venture over here even for summer events. Even when he was free to sign with Leafs he immediately signed a 2 year extension to play in the KHL. Hopefully Hunter has some insight into this issue.
You know your wrong about korshkov right? It was tweeted by his agent or someone like that about 2 weeks ago that he was coming to the 6 next year.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Lmao.

I thought you were serious for a second but realized you are being sarcastic.

I think I actually understated how terrible of pick it was in that post. He has good size bringing him to 1/4, but was picked over the good western canadian boy that was available and BPA on an internet random's personal draft board. That's a -1.

0/5

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I think I actually understated how terrible of pick it was in that post. He has good size bringing him to 1/4, but was picked over the good western canadian boy that was available and BPA on an internet random's personal draft board. That's a -1.

0/5
Should have just left it where it was at man :laugh: now its greasy

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Wait.... was that a low key mess joke? If it was, well done. (He does love his whl boys)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This has been going around but Finland has one more cut that hasn’t been announced.

They may not submit a full roster and cut someone a game or two in. They can do that as long as they don’t play a full line up.

Interesting. Would be great experience if he does make it.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The only rational Hunter jumped Korshkov was he saw him help replace Jvr. Did his age make it a safer read. I guess but many of us dropped our beer when he made that pick. What is the skinny on him because we let some good ones get by.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad