Official WJC Discussion Thread - now featuring 3 Leafs (Lily; Woll; Rasanen)

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
With Liljegren, Dermott, Grundstrom ,Korshkov,Bracco , Rasanen and Woll we may have a decent prospect pool. Johnsson and Kapanen are close. Steele would be nice but we do have Marner and I doubt Steele reaches his level. Go Rasanen , Go Woll, Go Liljegren !

We just have to maintain a nice core of prospects, and they will push each other and create inner competition with Leaf/Marlies/junior aged kids.
  • Rosen
  • Kappy
  • Dermott
  • Johnsson
  • Grundstrom
  • Korshkov
  • Lilly
  • Woll
  • Timashov
  • Bracco
  • Rasanen

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
All eyes will be on sensation Swedish Dman Rasmus Dahlin this tournament, #1 overall pick in 2018 and franchise Dman.

Going to interesting to see what kind of role Liljegren has and how he plays for the Swedes.

I think he is likely to be Dahlins partner on the top pair. Should get PP time as well.
I think he is likely to have a big tournament. Big drop from AHL calibre to playing the best 17-19 year olds not in the NHL

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I think he is likely to be Dahlins partner on the top pair. Should get PP time as well.
I think he is likely to have a big tournament. Big drop from AHL calibre to playing the best 17-19 year olds not in the NHL

Russia:
  • KHL experience: 314 GP
  • AHL experience: 32 GP
Finland:
  • NHL experience: 4 GP
  • SHL experience: 55 GP
  • Liiga experience: 625 GP
  • KHL experience: 39 GP
  • AHL experience: 19 GP
Sweden:
  • NHL experience: 4 GP
  • SHL experience: 1038 GP
  • Allsvenskan experience: 351 GP
  • AHL experience: 97 GP

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sam Steel playing alongside my favourite Kelowna Rocket hometown player Dillan Dube and Jordan Kyrou are likely going to lead Canada and make a big dent on the WJC scoring leaders.

I'm also very interested to see how Kale Clague plays on D for Canada.. He is the player that was on my personal draft board as BPA at #31 OA when the Leafs took overager Korshkov instead. He would look real good in Leafs prospect pool.

Reactions: Keon1963

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Sam Steel playing alongside my favourite Kelowna Rocket hometown player Dillan Dube and Jordan Kyrou are likely going to lead Canada and make a big dent on the WJC scoring leaders.

I'm also very interested to see how Kale Clague plays on D for Canada.. He is the player that was on my personal draft board as BPA at #31 OA when the Leafs took overager Korshkov instead. He would look real good in Leafs prospect pool.
Claque was amazing in the pre-tourney game last night. I’d personally rather have him than Korshkov and I kinda like Korshkov as a potential LW in the NHL

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This tournament is far more enjoyable now that Canada has competition for medals. 5-10 years ago it was absolutely insufferable the way people acted about it. I actually had a dude at the local grocery store tell me I wasnt a good Canadian because I wasntoverly excited for the tournament. A little bit of humility has improved the pompous attitude of the bandwagon Canada fans

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
This tournament is far more enjoyable now that Canada has competition for medals. 5-10 years ago it was absolutely insufferable the way people acted about it. I actually had a dude at the local grocery store tell me I wasnt a good Canadian because I wasntoverly excited for the tournament. A little bit of humility has improved the pompous attitude of the bandwagon Canada fans
The tournament feels like a bigger deal now honestly. You have like 5 nations that could realistically win it at any time and it is slowly gaining more and more popularity in Sweden and Finland so it doesn't feel like we are just on our own cheering feverishly for a tournament we always win. Makes the times we do win mean more too.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Rasanen makes team Finland. According to this twitter account the final cuts were Laavainen, Moilanen, Turkulainen and Luostarinen. Very nice to see him make such a deep team at his position, even if it will be in a fairly limited role

EDIT: Appears they have one more cut to make, let's hope that isn't Rasanen.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Oettinger and Swayman split the game, seems like Woll is either about to be cut or has the inside track as starter

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Claque was amazing in the pre-tourney game last night. I’d personally rather have him than Korshkov and I kinda like Korshkov as a potential LW in the NHL

I will also be comparing Clague to our boy Lilegren in this tournament to see how they impact their teams this tourney and match up as a sideline of comparing prospect to each other as a prospect junkie.

Canada vs Sweden is a game I'm really looking forward to not only to marvel at Dahlin but for the above reason.If this ends up the gold medal game .. Sweet !!!!

This WJC often gives players the spotlight to shine as you get to see the best of the best go head to head.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Someone on another's thread mentioned Lil was the 7th D man, is that true?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Oettinger and Swayman split the game, seems like Woll is either about to be cut or has the inside track as starter

Oettinger was 1st round draft pick and has a .902 sv% & 2.91 GAA in 17 games at Boston U, Swayman who plays at U of Maine has an impressive .927 SV%, 2.58 GAA in 12 games, while Woll has struggled a little this year at Boston College with a .898 sv% and 2.90 GAA in 15 games.

Based on stats from the NCAA it looks like this might be a battle for the Team USA starting goalie.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

In a pre tourny game yes. Realistically they aren't looking at him as a cut possibility so you don't worry about playing him and let others fight their spots. Come tournament time he will be playing top 4 or better, probably top 2.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They rotated the pairings. My guess is his ice-time was in line with everyone else from what I saw. He took shifts with Dahlin and Brannstrom at points and was leading their 2nd PP unit.

Judging from this game, there is no way he isn't in their top 4. It was the last game before cuts

I'd think he has the inside track, pretty sure he started and played most of the Belarus game.

plus the USA will take 3 goalies most likely. They usually do. Last year Woll was the back-up to Parsons while Oettinger was the 3rd guy.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Sweden was rotating 7 defenseman. Liljegren's spot was never in question. They used the game to make their final cuts. I would not worry about Liljegren's playing time, he doesn't really have any competition at RHD.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not that its a shock, but both Woll and Liljegren officially on their respective teams.

I hope Woll ends up being the starter, but I don't think that's likely.
I think Liljegren is going to make a case for best performance by a defenseman at the tournament. he has all the skill in the world

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sweden was rotating 7 defenseman. Liljegren's spot was never in question. They used the game to make their final cuts. I would not worry about Liljegren's playing time, he doesn't really have any competition at RHD.

I was really hoping Dman Adam Boqvist (along with Lilegren) would have made team Sweden as he is electric to watch and a sure fire top 10 pick in the upcoming draft.

Boqvist is also a righty, and stylistically and statistically comparable to Timothy..

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I hope Woll ends up being the starter, but I don't think that's likely.
I think Liljegren is going to make a case for best performance by a defenseman at the tournament. he has all the skill in the world
Woll had the lead back-up job over Oettinger last year, and its not like either has seperated themselves from the pack during the season so far. I'd say he has a great chance, maybe a coin flip of getting the #1 job.

Reactions: 4thline

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I was really hoping Dman Adam Boqvist (along with Lilegren) would have made team Sweden as he is electric to watch and a sure fire top 10 pick in the upcoming draft.

Boqvist is also a righty, and stylistically and statistically comparable to Timothy..
I don't think he's a lock for top 10 at the moment. He's mostly stuck in J20's, and no player to primarily play in J20's has ever gone top 10. The closest is Zibanejad who was pretty much a 50/50 split. Now, the high-picks who played almost only J-20 in Karlsson and Kopitar have turned into amazing players, so maybe it changes perspective.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't think he's a lock for top 10 at the moment. He's mostly stuck in J20's, and no player to primarily play in J20's has ever gone top 10. The closest is Zibanejad who was pretty much a 50/50 split. Now, the high-picks who played almost only J-20 in Karlsson and Kopitar have turned into amazing players, so maybe it changes perspective.

Check out Craig Button's November rankings. ... Craig’s List: Dahlin dominating, one Canadian in Top 10 - Article - TSN

Bobby Mac : The Year of Swedish Defencemen

Here are the combined current rankings from many scouting agencies. : 2018 NHL Draft Rankings

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad