Official U18 WJC Thread

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
HabLover said:
I sometimes wonder how hockey is even popular in Europe? This game was very, very sad to watch, the referee the biggest problem of all and the way Finland was playing the trap was interesting.
I agree.

Effective, yes. Interesting, no.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
HabLover said:
I sometimes wonder how hockey is even popular in Europe? This game was very, very sad to watch, the referee the biggest problem of all and the way Finland was playing the trap was interesting.

I guess mainly because IIHF doesn't organize hockey in Europe.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
HabLover said:

Did you watch the NHL in any of the 5 seasons before this one?

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
HabLover said:

Like the NHL has taught us, you learn to tolerate quite a lot. The referees are a bigger problem in international games across cultures, something no one has come even close to fixing.

Finland's hockey program is failing to teach juniors proper forechecking, which basically eliminates the only chance of implementing an effective active defense system for mistake-prone youngsters. Add to that the country lacking the players to dominate offensively, and its teams are easily scared into trapping half the time. Also, in effect Finland had a two-goal lead to protect in the game as previously established.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
Update: The U.S. won 12-1. Johnson with four goals.

Looking at the boxscores, it seems the US pretty much stopped playing in the third. They had outshot Belarus 50 to 6 through the first two periods and then only put up 5 shots in the third. They didn't even register a shot until 15 minutes into the period. I don't know how I feel about teams cruising through play like that. Isn't it more disrespectful for a team to stop playing than to keep trying thier best? I suppose most people would disagree with me but I like to see teams play thier best for the entire game, regardless of the score.

McBain and Johnson are putting up some serious numbers for defensmen in this tournament. Anyone know the records for d-men at this tournament?

McBain's production has really surprised me. Is his stock going up much with this showing?

Last edited:

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
So an update

To the semifinals:
- Finland
- USA

Quarterfinals match-ups (played Wednesday)
Sweden vs. Czech Republic
Canada vs. Russia

Some good games to look forward to!

Macman

May 15, 2004
HabLover said:

Hockey Canada has its work cut out. Every team at every level internationally plays the trap against Canada now and we're unable to do anything about it. How many times has Canada been shut out in international play lately? It's like a bad movie. We can't get near the net anymore.

I used to be a supporter of bigger ice but after watching the last couple of years, I'm no longer. There's less room out there than there is in the NHL. Every team sits back now and it's taken forechecking completely out of the game. It's become a game of power plays and pouncing on the occasional turnovers. It's like watching your car rust.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
Looking at the boxscores, it seems the US pretty much stopped playing in the third. They had outshot Belarus 50 to 6 through the first two periods and then only put up 5 shots in the third. They didn't even register a shot until 15 minutes into the period. I don't know how I feel about teams cruising through play like that. Isn't it more disrespectful for a team to stop playing than to keep trying thier best? I suppose most people would disagree with me but I like to see teams play thier best for the entire game, regardless of the score.

McBain and Johnson are putting up some serious numbers for defensmen in this tournament. Anyone know the records for d-men at this tournament?

McBain's production has really surprised me. Is his stock going up much with this showing?

That's a tough call. I listened to the game, and it seemed like the U.S. was content to pass the puck around and only score if they had a slam dunk opportunity. Belarus seemed fine with that. What I thought was funny was Phil Housley (the color commentator for the U.S. games) wanted to keep the foot to the gas!

As for your question about defensemen scoring, Johnson and McBain's numbers are pretty impressive. I can't recall their output being exceeded in recent memory. Johnson's stock is already through the roof, and from what I understand McBain's is rising. This tourney can only help him.

Last edited:

X-SHARKIE

McBain is one of my underated gems of the draft and I have him 26th on my list right now.

I scouted him twice this season in Wisconsin and he stood out more then Strait and Summers IMO.

He showed great two way upside with a very impressive offensive element, he's a great passer, and he is an effortless skater. He also has a great sense of what to do in his own end, and he's bigger then listed IMO.

I really like him and it's great to see him showing his stuff in front of all those scouts.

If Canada makes the Semi's will they play USA or Finland?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
McBain is one of my underated gems of the draft and I have him 26th on my list right now.

I scouted him twice this season in Wisconsin and he stood out more then Strait and Summers IMO.

He showed great two way upside with a very impressive offensive element, he's a great passer, and he is an effortless skater. He also has a great sense of what to do in his own end, and he's bigger then listed IMO.

I really like him and it's great to see him showing his stuff in front of all those scouts.

If Canada makes the Semi's will they play USA or Finland?

If Canada makes the semi's they play Finland again.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
MOGiLNY said:
what happens if Russia makes the semis?

The winner of Canada against Russia will play Finland and the winner of Czech Republic against Sweden will play the USA in the semifinals.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Alter Haudegen said:
The winner of Canada against Russia will play Finland and the winner of Czech Republic against Sweden will play the USA in the semifinals.

ah ok, thanks! i thought it may be decided based on the group standings somehow

turnbuckle*

Man this under 18 crap is almost impossible to watch.

I guess Russians are never going to change their attitude when it come to floppinmg, diving and faking. For whatever reasons, that is always going to appear to the russians as a fair and just way to play the game of hockey, and European officials are never apparently ever gong to have a clue on how to ref a game, allowing every obvious flop to be deemed a penalty. It's beyond a joke.

This is frankly getting worse. In a society where progress is being made on many fronts, hockey actually appears to be regressing at the international level. It is indeed very sad, but I suppose the Russian psyche is alway going to be "Win first - the hell with the consequences or conscience." It frankly makes me puke, and extremely glad that I was born on this side of the world.

Russians flop to the ice acting as if they were hit with a cannonball, within seconds they spring to their feet once the penalty's called. They are real men!!! A joke.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
John Tavares is a hell of a player. I watched that whole game and he was definitely one of Canada's best players and is already almost impossible to stop from driving to the net. Then you realize how old he is.

He's going to be a keeper.

Sammy*

turnbuckle said:
Man this under 18 crap is almost impossible to watch.

I guess Russians are never going to change their attitude when it come to floppinmg, diving and faking. For whatever reasons, that is always going to appear to the russians as a fair and just way to play the game of hockey, and European officials are never apparently ever gong to have a clue on how to ref a game, allowing every obvious flop to be deemed a penalty. It's beyond a joke.

This is frankly getting worse. In a society where progress is being made on many fronts, hockey actually appears to be regressing at the international level. It is indeed very sad, but I suppose the Russian psyche is alway going to be "Win first - the hell with the consequences or conscience." It frankly makes me puke, and extremely glad that I was born on this side of the world.

Russians flop to the ice acting as if they were hit with a cannonball, within seconds they spring to their feet once the penalty's called. They are real men!!! A joke.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I agree. Its a disgrace but its something they are brought up with.
Canada does have floppers, but its nothing like some of the Euro countries.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Sammy said:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I agree. Its a disgrace but its something they are brought up with.
Canada does have floppers, but its nothing like some of the Euro countries.
The slovakians are the worst ive sen. Sweden was up by three goals and then the slovaks started showing enormous bad sportmanship and faking injuries every minute. It was pathetic to see. Not good for the game.

I really don´t like this eurobashing though, because the swedes and finns are no divers(and we are considered to be euros as well). If you have that opinion - your way off and haven´t seen too many international games. And also - its not only euro refs - who are so eager to blow the whistle. Last night i saw the american referee being the same way. This is something they have decided before the tournament, and the canadian refs would have done the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad