Official U18 WJC Thread

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
An Ape called Yoko said:
The slovakians are the worst ive sen. Sweden was up by three goals and then the slovaks started showing enormous bad sportmanship and faking injuries every minute. It was pathetic to see. Not good for the game.

I really don´t like this eurobashing though, because the swedes and finns are no divers(and we are considered to be euros as well). If you have that opinion - your way off and haven´t seen too many international games. And also - its not only euro refs - who are so eager to blow the whistle. Last night i saw the american referee being the same way.

I was just thinking the same thing.

Sammy*

An Ape called Yoko said:
The slovakians are the worst ive sen. Sweden was up by three goals and then the slovaks started showing enormous bad sportmanship and faking injuries every minute. It was pathetic to see. Not good for the game.

I really don´t like this eurobashing though, because the swedes and finns are no divers(and we are considered to be euros as well). If you have that opinion - your way off and haven´t seen too many international games. And also - its not only euro refs - who are so eager to blow the whistle. Last night i saw the american referee being the same way. This is something they have decided before the tournament, and the canadian refs would have done the same.
I didnt intend it to be Euro bashing as a whole (hence the phrase " some Euro Countries"). Only those countries (Euro or otherwise, but the Euros as a whole are worse than the NA teams)that do it all the time.
The Finns are not divers. I cant say I'd say that about the Swedes but I defer to your more informed opinion.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
It's the soccer effect. Most European players are exposed to way more soccer than we are in North America, and since diving and faking injuries is so prominant, some think it's ok to do it in hockey.

Pride, honour and integrity go out the window when there's any chance to draw a penalty.

And yes, I'd never accuse a Finn of diving. Sweden is good too.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
HabLover said:
If Canada makes the semi's they play Finland again.

And now Finland will have to play to win. The game might actually be more exciting than watching paint dry.

I got a kick out of the IIHF website saying "Canada stuns Russia."
Maybe it's a language difficulty, but Canada beating Russia, or vice versa, is never stunning. Both are very talented hockey teams. I think the remark was based on their seedings at the tournament, but Canada proved today by outshooting Russia 43-21 and beating them 4-1 that those seedings were meaningless.

Way to go Canada. Nice to see 15-year-old John Tavares snap Canada's scoring drought. Way to go, kid.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
An Ape called Yoko said:
I really don´t like this eurobashing though, because the swedes and finns are no divers(and we are considered to be euros as well). If you have that opinion - your way off and haven´t seen too many international games. And also - its not only euro refs - who are so eager to blow the whistle. Last night i saw the american referee being the same way. This is something they have decided before the tournament, and the canadian refs would have done the same.
I agree. Sweden and Finland are not known for this (except Figren perhaps) and it is true that ALL officials are calling all sorts of stuff at these tournaments as an extension of IIHF policy, including N. American refs.

Last edited:

X-SHARKIE

Matrix said:
Any scout report on McGinn, he scored two today, any effect on his report at all???

Before the U-18's I had him 16th on my top 60. I love this kid, he never quits working, his speed is underated and his top end is pretty good, he's strong on his skates and can bull through traffic, he isn't a sniper but he goes hard to the front of the net and has quick hands to finish, he sees the ice well and is a good play maker. He is great in the corners as well. Comes back defensively and back checks and forechecks equally hard.

A great complimentary player IMO.

Matrix

Dec 16, 2005
Montreal
X-SHARKIE said:
Before the U-18's I had him 16th on my top 60. I love this kid, he never quits working, his speed is underated and his top end is pretty good, he's strong on his skates and can bull through traffic, he isn't a sniper but he goes hard to the front of the net and has quick hands to finish, he sees the ice well and is a good play maker. He is great in the corners as well. Comes back defensively and back checks and forechecks equally hard.

You have him at 16th.....How convenient..... I'll pass your report to my GM! ;)

Thanks.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Can anyone who is actually seeing the games give some reports please? It would be nice to have a feel for what's going on beyond results and stats. I'm particularly interested in the US team but I'd love to hear anything at this point. Who is improving thier stock? Who is hurting thiers? Any surprising players? Anything?

espo*

An Ape called Yoko said:

i agree,Sweden and Finland DO NOT dive as a rule.The East european trifecta of Czech,Slovak and Russia are the worst offenders and sometimes it's embarrassing.I know they don't like to hear about it but it's true,they are really bad offenders withthis crap.

I wish they'd get rid of it,they are such better hockey players then that.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
cagney said:
Can anyone who is actually seeing the games give some reports please? It would be nice to have a feel for what's going on beyond results and stats. I'm particularly interested in the US team but I'd love to hear anything at this point. Who is improving thier stock? Who is hurting thiers? Any surprising players? Anything?
A few very short comments. Williams is getting about 2/3 shifts a game and is doing very little with them. Based on this, he's a 4th or 5th round pick IMO.
McBain is finding the international ice to his liking and is showing some good hands and decision making. Ratchuk has been impressive and may well become one of those little defencemen who can handle the big leagues eventually. Summers and Geoffrion are playing solid two-way games with intensity and are a little more creative than when I had seen them previously. Flynn hasn't shown anything at all. Bill Sweatt may be the fastest player at the tournament (along with Czech Latal) and can handle the puck at high speeds too. But he's '07.

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
steblick said:
A few very short comments. Williams is getting about 2/3 shifts a game and is doing very little with them. Based on this, he's a 4th or 5th round pick IMO.
McBain is finding the international ice to his liking and is showing some good hands and decision making. Ratchuk has been impressive and may well become one of those little defencemen who can handle the big leagues eventually. Summers and Geoffrion are playing solid two-way games with intensity and are a little more creative than when I had seen them previously. Flynn hasn't shown anything at all. Bill Sweatt may be the fastest player at the tournament (along with Czech Latal) and can handle the puck at high speeds too. But he's '07.

Williams if getting 2 to 3 shifts a game or are you trying to say he is getting two/thirds the shift of another player. In either case for a supposed top 15 draft pick he should be logging good ice time. This can not help his stock. Mcbain stats look real nice on paper, he could be one of the prospects that slides up in the draft. Is Sweatt a top ten draft pick for next year? Also was Lee Sweatt(Billys brother) drafted and if so when and to who?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
inferno98 said:
Williams if getting 2 to 3 shifts a game or are you trying to say he is getting two/thirds the shift of another player. In either case for a supposed top 15 draft pick he should be logging good ice time. This can not help his stock. Mcbain stats look real nice on paper, he could be one of the prospects that slides up in the draft. Is Sweatt a top ten draft pick for next year? Also was Lee Sweatt(Billys brother) drafted and if so when and to who?
2 or 3 shifts a game. I think Williams was a flavour of the month. I just cannot see what the hype was all about. Dowzak is better (and simliar) in my opinion.

X-SHARKIE

steblick said:

Sweatt isn't eligible to 2007? I have to change my rankings on him then. He blew me away with his speed and one on one ability against the Badgers. Thanks for clarifying that up with me.

I like Dowzek a whole lot, but I also like Nigel. What is he struggling with exactly? He reminded me a bit of Brent Burns when he played on the blue line because he was huge and could really handle the puck and skate well. Although he never seemed to do much with it. However I have him much lower then Wishart.

Hey Steblik, What do you think of David Ruzicka CZE? He was highly touted a year ago but didn't improve his stock through out the season and now looks to be outside of the 1st round. Is he a 1st round talent?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Sweatt isn't eligible to 2007? I have to change my rankings on him then. He blew me away with his speed and one on one ability against the Badgers. Thanks for clarifying that up with me.

I like Dowzek a whole lot, but I also like Nigel. What is he struggling with exactly? He reminded me a bit of Brent Burns when he played on the blue line because he was huge and could really handle the puck and skate well. Although he never seemed to do much with it. However I have him much lower then Wishart.

Hey Steblik, What do you think of David Ruzicka CZE? He was highly touted a year ago but didn't improve his stock through out the season and now looks to be outside of the 1st round. Is he a 1st round talent?
Williams lacks hockey sense; Just doesn't see the ice well and his puck skills are a fair ways behind the other American DF. Ruzicka is inconsistent. He looks like a world beater one minute and a goat the next. He's still skinny and his legs don't generate much quickness. I'd be very surprised if he went 1st round though he teases with a big upside from time to time.

Ummm...you know... a lot of players we comment on read these boards. And although they are in the public eye and should be ready to take criticism and so on these guys are only 17/18 years old and sometimes the comments can get them down. Knowing this, I don't like to pick apart players too much on a public forum now. So, Nigel or David, if you are reading this, I hope you prove me wrong and show that you deserve the ratings that some of the scouting services have given you.

By the way, Sweatt is a late 88.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
turnbuckle said:
Man this under 18 crap is almost impossible to watch.

I guess Russians are never going to change their attitude when it come to floppinmg, diving and faking. For whatever reasons, that is always going to appear to the russians as a fair and just way to play the game of hockey, and European officials are never apparently ever gong to have a clue on how to ref a game, allowing every obvious flop to be deemed a penalty. It's beyond a joke.

This is frankly getting worse. In a society where progress is being made on many fronts, hockey actually appears to be regressing at the international level. It is indeed very sad, but I suppose the Russian psyche is alway going to be "Win first - the hell with the consequences or conscience." It frankly makes me puke, and extremely glad that I was born on this side of the world.

Russians flop to the ice acting as if they were hit with a cannonball, within seconds they spring to their feet once the penalty's called. They are real men!!! A joke.

I said it already and I find it just as frustrating as others to watch the international game! The Canada/Finland game was painful to watch the other day. This one today was somewhat better with both teams actually wanting to win and IMO, not as many suspect calls being made, although, as in every international game, a number of bizarre penalties were handed out. I have almost come to accept the endless parade to the penalty box in basically every international game, the diving, the acting, the crying, etc. but then add this 'trap' defence being perfected by several countries, it's almost unbearable!

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
X-SHARKIE said:

I've seen Mcginn play alot in the last two years and he has really proved himself. Not a very highly rated guy coming into the OHL he worked his way to playing time late in the 04-05 season and he performed. Had a great playoff and mem cup. was a team leader this year and his draft stock in late first round material.

HOWEVER. I don't think his offensive skills are top end and his skating is a little better than average. He can cycle the puck well, his speed is good and he can hit. But he's projected as a power forward. You don't see too many 6"0 183 lb power forwards in the NHL. I know he's still 17/18 but most kids are at their full size at this point give or take.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Watched Czech Republic - Sweden last night (3-0 Czechs). In that game, the Czechs displayed the best defense I have seen this tournament probably. Sweden, despite having close to 30 shots of net, had basically no really dangerous scoring chances. I was impressted by Jirit Tlusty and somewhat with the very speedy Martin Latal, who appears to be quite the penalty killer with his speed. Frolik was decent, but I expect more. For Sweden goalie Jhonas Enroth was best, allowing two goals (last one an empty netter)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
I've seen Mcginn play alot in the last two years and he has really proved himself. Not a very highly rated guy coming into the OHL he worked his way to playing time late in the 04-05 season and he performed. Had a great playoff and mem cup. was a team leader this year and his draft stock in late first round material.

HOWEVER. I don't think his offensive skills are top end and his skating is a little better than average. He can cycle the puck well, his speed is good and he can hit. But he's projected as a power forward. You don't see too many 6"0 183 lb power forwards in the NHL. I know he's still 17/18 but most kids are at their full size at this point give or take.

I'm not surprised to see McGinn rise up the boards. Keep in mind he is a bit of an underager and one of the youngest guys in this draft. Born a few months later, and he is an '07.

He reminds me a bit of a former 67, Mark Bell. Not quite the power forward material of Bell given his size, but he a lot of the same attributes and is I think a pretty safe pick. Whether he ends up being a 2nd or 3rd liner is a question, but I like his game a lot. He does a lot of little things so well and will be the type of guy who scores a lot of key garbage goals along the way because of his willingness to pay the price. A heart and soul type player teams love to have.

He also put up decent numbers for his age, although he did benefit by playing with Couture. But he also helped Couture with his style of play, giving him a bit of room and going to the net hard, which is always a good trait for a player on a line with an elite talent. I'm still surprised Couture isn't on this team, even though he is an underager.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Thanks very much for your feedback, Steblick. I appreciate it.

If you have the time, I'd love to hear a little more about Billy Sweatt. Where does he fit in with the '07 draft? I've heard his hockey sense criticized in the past. Is it still an issue? Thanks.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Stupid question, but TSN is listed as showing the gold medal game on saturday at noon, but since Canada lost, will they show Canada play the loser of the Czech-USA game, or the gold medal game of Finland vs the winner of the Czech-USA game. Frankly I want to see both the Czech and USA teams, so I'll get to see one, just wondering what one they would show.

I want to see Latel and Kveton for the Czech's and Geoffrion, Strait, O'Brien, Flynn, Kane, and McBain for USA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->