Official U18 WJC Thread

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Came home from the Swe - Can (2-0 Sweden) a while ago. Canada was the better team, but Swedish goaltender Jhonas Enroth was absolutely excellent. It has been quite a while ago since I saw goaltending that good.

As for team Canada, I was impressed with short forward Justin Azevedo (speed, technical skills, hockey sense and excellent passing), Ben Maxwell (speed, technical skills and always dangerous with the puck) as well as with defenseman Logan Peyett. An yeah, goalie Jonathan Bernier was good too.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Anyone got more info on russian Ruslan Bashkirov? He had a big day today with four goals and an assist against Germany. He's now second in tournament scoring with 7 points in 3 games. The most exciting part of that is that he's an '89 born underager.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Point Leaders after 3 games:
(GP G A PTS PIM + - +/-)

1 KANE Pat USA F 3 4 4 8 0 4 1 3
2 BASHKIROV Ruslan RUS F 3 5 2 7 0 7 1 6
3 Mc BAIN Jamie USA D 3 1 6 7 0 3 1 2
4 SWEATT Bill USA F 3 4 2 6 2 5 0 5
5 MAXWELL Ben CAN F 3 1 5 6 4 3 1 2

6 AZEVEDO Justin CAN F 3 4 1 5 4 1 2 -1
7 JUUTILAINEN Jan-Mikael FIN F 2 3 2 5 0 3 2 1
8 ROHAC Ivan SVK F 3 3 2 5 0 3 1 2
9 BOUCHARD Francois CAN F 3 2 3 5 4 0 2 -2
10 BERGLUND Patrik SWE F 3 3 1 4 0 3 2 1

11 GLOVATSKY Anton RUS F 3 3 1 4 0 4 0 4
12 ZACHUPEYKO Sergey RUS F 3 2 2 4 0 7 0 7
13 BODROV Evgeny RUS F 3 2 2 4 6 6 2 4
14 PYETT Logan CAN D 3 1 3 4 6 0 1 -1
15 JOHNSON Erik USA D 3 0 4 4 2 2 0 2

16 KONECNY Rastislav SVK F 3 3 0 3 4 2 0 2
17 LAGERSTROM Tony SWE F 3 3 0 3 8 3 0 3
18 WARN Max FIN F 2 2 1 3 2 3 1 2
19 POPKO Luke USA F 3 2 1 3 2 4 0 4
20 RAKHSHANI Rhett USA F 3 2 1 3 2 0 1 -1

21 FROLIK Michael CZE F 3 2 1 3 4 2 1 1
21 VASYUNOV Alexander RUS F 3 2 1 3 4 2 1 1
23 VORACEK Jakub CZE F 3 2 1 3 6 2 2 0
24 CARMAN Mike USA F 3 2 1 3 8 3 1 2
25 LEHTIVUORI Joonas FIN D 2 1 2 3 2 3 3

cagney said:
Anyone got more info on russian Ruslan Bashkirov? He had a big day today with four goals and an assist against Germany. He's now second in tournament scoring with 7 points in 3 games. The most exciting part of that is that he's an '89 born underager.

If you search on the Russian board, Guillaume has a few posts about him. He has actually has a twin brother Roman who plays on the 1989-age group team with him.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Fedz said:
Against Norway, something Maxwell is notorious for. Feasting on weak teams.
He's been Canada's biggest threat in all 3 games so far- he sure looks comfortable on international ice. I'll be at the Can-Fin game too to watch, although I think everybody will see it on TSN anyway.

Bernier played well yesterday, the one goal wasn't really his fault, too but Enroth was on another planet to be sure. I counted 18 2-on-ones or breakaways by Canada.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
steblick said:
Bernier played well yesterday, the one goal wasn't really his fault, too but Enroth was on another planet to be sure. I counted 18 2-on-ones or breakaways by Canada.

I tried to keep track of those breakaways, but lost count. I wonder if there is a goalie with a better (and quicker) glove than Enroth in this tournament. I have not seen a game with Slovakia yet (will tomorrow though, against Sweden), but what is your take on the Slovakian team?

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Sweden's win really shook up the group. It put Finland's second place finish at risk, but on the other hand they now have a really good chance at winning the group - it's likely that a loss to Canada by two goals will do. The tricky part is, CAN-FIN will be played before SWE-SVK, so they won't know whether they need a close defeat, a tie or even a win (if Slovakia takes points from Sweden and Finland can't manage a six-goal win over Norway).

Yeah, it's complicated. In the last scenario mentioned Canada needs a tie to win the group, any kind of victory is Slovakia wins or ties Sweden but Finland trounces Norway, or a three-goal victory if Sweden wins.

Sweden has only a microscopic chance at finishing first. CAN-FIN has to end 2-0 (no other result will do) and Sweden has to score a gazillion goals against Slovakia.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Predatore said:
I tried to keep track of those breakaways, but lost count. I wonder if there is a goalie with a better (and quicker) glove than Enroth in this tournament. I have not seen a game with Slovakia yet (will tomorrow though, against Sweden), but what is your take on the Slovakian team?
Pretty barren this year. Not a lot going on.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Pekka Lampinen said:
Sweden's win really shook up the group. It put Finland's second place finish at risk, but on the other hand they now have a really good chance at winning the group - it's likely that a loss to Canada by two goals will do. The tricky part is, CAN-FIN will be played before SWE-SVK, so they won't know whether they need a close defeat, a tie or even a win (if Slovakia takes points from Sweden and Finland can't manage a six-goal win over Norway).

Yeah, it's complicated. In the last scenario mentioned Canada needs a tie to win the group, any kind of victory is Slovakia wins or ties Sweden but Finland trounces Norway, or a three-goal victory if Sweden wins.

Sweden has only a microscopic chance at finishing first. CAN-FIN has to end 2-0 (no other result will do) and Sweden has to score a gazillion goals against Slovakia.
Now hold up pls :)

1. Aren´t the rules that you only count the goaldifference between the teams that has the same amount of points?

2. And the mutual results between two teams are counted?

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Hey Guys,

Just about to go On Air with HF Radio.....just wanted to pass along, off the top of the show, I'll be talking with Mark Seidel, Chief Scout of ISS, he is in Sweden right now, gives a little insight on the tourney so far.

Hope it helps,
Dustin

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think it's a little pointless getting impressed over what Bashkirov or anyone else did against Germany. I mean no offense to Germany, but the two countries are on a different level.. for now at least.

I don't have any information on how Russia is doing, but just looking at the scoreboard, it sounds like they aren't having that good of a tournament so far. Lost to the US and then pounded on Belarus. 9:5 win over Germany is pretty alarming to me.. giving up 3 goals in the 3rd period? ouch.

Sounds like either they have some serious defensive problems or got complacent as soon as the score was big.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The U.S. beat the Czechs 5-0 over the weekend. Joe Palmer with the shutout and Erik Johnson being named the player of the game. Frolik a no show yet again. I know it's all potential with this guy but it would be nice to produce every once in awhile............

Last edited:

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Finland advances to semis, CAN-FIN 0-0. A total of 25 power plays for the two teams. Bernier with a 22-save shutout, Helenius fired at 34 times. I wonder how Lehtivuori is going to explain his five penalties.

At least the defense is working and the Finnish team has already met all expectations.

Sweden can't finish third anymore: With a win or tie against Slovakia they'll be second, a loss and they're out. If Slovakia wins, they'll be third with Canada second.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Helenius (sp?) looked great today. From the Canadian side, I thought Maxwell was the most dangerous player, he can really generate opportunities and boy can he ever protect the puck, the Finns couldn't get it away from him.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Pekka Lampinen said:
Finland advances to semis, CAN-FIN 0-0. A total of 25 power plays for the two teams. Bernier with a 22-save shutout, Helenius fired at 34 times. I wonder how Lehtivuori is going to explain his five penalties.

At least the defense is working and the Finnish team has already met all expectations.

Sweden can't finish third anymore: With a win or tie against Slovakia they'll be second, a loss and they're out. If Slovakia wins, they'll be third with Canada second.

I sometimes wonder how hockey is even popular in Europe? This game was very, very sad to watch, the referee the biggest problem of all and the way Finland was playing the trap was interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->