OT: Official TV & Movie Spoiler/Speculation/Rumor Thread-See Mod Warning in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Return of the Jedi had a nice surprise to it too -- the whole "now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station!" bit. Never saw that one coming.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
No, do tell...worthy series?

Amazon. Eight episodes. Billy Bob Thornton. William Hurt.

It seems like it's a Fargo or True Detective model where this cast will only be for the one season, but time will tell.

Now, I would watch either of those guys read the phone book, so I'm biased, but I thought it was awesome.

Run. Don't walk.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Rogue One reviews ridiculously positive. IGN gives it a 9, which means its special. Take that, Star Wars haters!

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
IGN review, first paragraph:

"While the pressure on The Force Awakens to successfully re-launch the Star Wars movie series was staggering, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story now faces its own crucial moment of truth. Disney and Lucasfilm are looking to expand the Star Wars brand in a big way with spinoff films -- which are not part of the central, numbered, core “Episode” series -- and fans are looking at Rogue One to prove they can deliver satisfying stories in this realm. The very happy news is that fortunately, and thrillingly, the film completely succeeds on this and many other levels."

Looks like 2 for 2 in the post-Lucas era.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Bad is such a gross over exaggeration. Are you not entertained?! For what they are (fun only semi-serious sci fi), they're simply never going to be bad.

And I'll take JJ "at his worst" over 95% of others directors today in this genre.

Once people accept that these aren't true core Oscar contenders, and you can't replicate the memories of your childhood, they can relax and enjoy the positives.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't agree with any of your perspectives in that post. And neither does JJ Abrams, apparently, since he spent all of Episode 7 trying to replicate the memories of our childhoods.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He tried, has finally accepted it couldn't be done.

These aren't your childhood movies you've propped up on a pedestal.

A $2+ billion gross across 3 movies isn't some terrible train wreck.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Considering the track record of the prequels and episode 7 being JJ Abrams at his worst, I think there was a legitimate fear by many that any new Star Wars movie could very well be bad. The franchise as a whole is basically batting .500

No lens flare in EP 7, so it was hardly his worst :)

I'm pretty stunned at the enthusiastic reviews. I really had this movie as a flop, with the wooden acting in the trailers and the 40% reshoot.
Not only does it appear to be a good movie, it appears to be a little more than that. We will see come Friday.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He tried, has finally accepted it couldn't be done.
What?

These aren't your childhood movies you've propped up on a pedestal.
The reason being that the prequels aren't deserving of a pedestal. Even for the generations that grew up with the prequels in their childhood. They're just bad.

A $2+ billion gross across 3 movies isn't some terrible train wreck.
I certainly hope you're not seriously using box office success as a metric for movie quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad