OT: Official TV & Movie Spoiler/Speculation/Rumor Thread-See Mod Warning in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wasn't great, but still had some entertainment value IMO. Truly BAD movies provide no entertainment, no satisfying distraction from the real world for 90 mins +/-...

To each their own.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Truly BAD movies provide no entertainment, no satisfying distraction from the real world for 90 mins +/-...

That pretty much summarizes "Attack of the Clones" in a nutshell.

The prequels were an abomination, let us not kid ourselves. But with two straight (apparent) hits, Disney appears to be burying them, forever.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'd argue some parts were entertaining and some were really bad. To each their own....

I'm just not concerned we're going back to that level of film making.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Don't know how anyone can defend the prequels unless they saw them when they were under 10 years old, heh. The 3rd was barely OK. The first one so terrible I almost walked out of the theater. Me and my buddy who saw it with me just couldn't believe how bad it was.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nobody is defending jack. In fact, I found the three to be decidedly average. I simply take exception with gross exaggeration like any of these was worthy of grabbing your popcorn and storming out of the theater. Sounds like you had some grandiose expectations and were really let down. I'm sure there were many hardcore fans who felt the same outrage. Lofty childhood expectations were dashed, I get it, hell I felt it some. After a few rewatches of them all and a lot of years, I've come to accept them as what they were, average sci-fi with a mega budget. Underwhelming, sure, without a doubt. Completely devoid of entertainment value? Hardly. They had some fantastic effects and battles.

Critics and the general public rate them each at

1 - 55/60 (slightly better than average scores)
2 - 65/57 (fairly good to better than average scores)
3 - 79/65 (Fresh to fairly good)

I'm a HARD CORE movie goer.....I see in the theaters 75+ movies a year (Moviepass for the win). When I see Rotten scores and at least 1 reviewer class (critics or public) has a movie at least around the 50% mark, it's probably at least going to be entertaining on some levels. Usually that's my cutoff unless there's an actor or storyline that interests me, then occasionally I'll dip down into the 35-45% ratings and give a movie a try (but those are usually movies on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or the movie channel apps or Directv).

Last movie I walked out of was Natural Born Killers (46/81). Critics disliked it like me, but the public gave it a strong 81. Before that, the only movie I've ever walked out of was in high school...and I challenge anyone to sit through this....

Starring Lyle Alzado from 1988, Destroyer (14% on Rotten)!!!

Check out Filmschoolrejects if you want a great independent movie site.

More recently, the closest I came to walking out was The Legend of Hercules with Kellan Lutz (3/33). Critics gave it a 3!!! It was so bad my buddy and I just stayed to laugh at the comically bad stuff. Good times being a movie critic, some hits, and a lot of misses!

Last edited:

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
The Phantom Menace was released in 1999. Looking at the other scifi movies that hit that year I would definitely go with The Matrix at the top then Galaxy quest. I'd probably take eXistenz (saw that in the theater) as well but I like the noir scifi ones.

Starting to go down the list like Wing Commander and Wild Wild West that is getting into tossup categories. I actually saw The Thirteenth Floor in the theater.

I do like the sound design fx on the pod race..there I said something positive.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Anyone braving the cold to see R1 tonight? I'm seeing at 12:30 on Saturday.

Audience reviews at RT have been off the charts. Careful when you sift though them though, a lot of jokers have put spoilers in them (even the headers)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Seeing R1 around 1030 tonight.

Who could even get past the first 2 words in Nerd-speak? I couldn't.

The humor is a mixed bag at best, but buried in the cringe are some really salient points regarding Epsiode 1 (and the other prequels). If you're just going to watch one portion of it, fast forward until the last few minutes of that video where he asks people to describe the characters in the original trilogy and then asks them to describe characters from Ep1.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Audience reviews at RT have been off the charts. Careful when you sift though them though, a lot of jokers have put spoilers in them (even the headers)

Sunday 7pm Imax ftw...

holding strong at 85% fresh from critics...

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

I half considered the last showing at the AMC Tysons Corner as there were decent tickets available rather wait till mid-week next week. Do wish they had IMAX non-3D BS.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The Phantom Menace was released in 1999. Looking at the other scifi movies that hit that year I would definitely go with The Matrix at the top then Galaxy quest. I'd probably take eXistenz (saw that in the theater) as well but I like the noir scifi ones.

Starting to go down the list like Wing Commander and Wild Wild West that is getting into tossup categories. I actually saw The Thirteenth Floor in the theater.

I do like the sound design fx on the pod race..there I said something positive.

Its fun to look back on...

The Matrix
Galaxy Quest (still holds up for fun sci fi)
13th floor (I too saw in the theater)
Deep Blue Sea (I want a reboot of this idea) fun movie.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Can we all agree not to post spoilers until this Monday? (When the vast majority of us will probably have seen it) You can post your feelings about it, but leave discussion of the details till after the weekend.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Its fun to look back on...

The Matrix
Galaxy Quest (still holds up for fun sci fi)
13th floor (I too saw in the theater)
Deep Blue Sea (I want a reboot of this idea) fun movie.

Agree..plus always had a thing for Saffron Burrows.

Appreciate how much you go to the movies, CCF. I use to go a ton in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. The advent of blurays and big screen HD tvs (as well as having a good home theater system) and an enjoyment in picking up physical media just took movie going out for me. That said I think the all assigned seating is a great thing and makes it more inclined to go but I'm still only averaging 3 to 6 movies a year.

Different topic plotting a LG OLED 4k tv upgrade in two years time. Easy to forget I'll need to upgrade the receiver which is annoying as my current one still crushes. Been picking up 4k blurays if I was planning on buying the title as regular bluray anyways.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Can we all agree not to post spoilers until this Monday? (When the vast majority of us will probably have seen it) You can post your feelings about it, but leave discussion of the details till after the weekend.

Yo...

104.jpg

Leia still gets the plans to the death star.:laugh:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Use the other OT thread if you want to talk about this or any other entertainment without revealing or learning too much. This thread was created specifically TO ALLOW spoilers.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Instant reaction below (no plot points):
[spoil]This is the movie TFA should have been. Recaptures the Star Wars atmosphere perfectly, including plenty of Easter eggs*, but doesn't spend the entire movie retracing footsteps. You really feel the weight and might of the Empire, as it truly portrays it as a ruthless organization to be dreaded.

I have a feel this will hold up better to repeated viewings and scrutiny much better than TFA did.

*For the most part they're subtle enough and/or sensible for the plot. There's two that are rather shoe-horned in and a bit cringeworthy. The first of which edges close to introducing a plot hole into episode IV[/spoil]

Not plot related, but I guess you could consider them spoilers
[spoil]There's no opening title crawl. Nor do they cling to the typical John Williams signature pieces[/spoil]

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I really really liked TFA. Great reboot of the series.

I loved Rogue One. Just loved it. That was a fun movie. Can't wait to watch it again.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Seconding everything Hivemind said.

[spoil]Some of the character arcs felt a little rushed (I think a lot of character building got cut out), and the ending confrontation was really cliche, but those are my only qualms with the storytelling. The leads in Rogue One were more believable, the plot was more interesting, the callbacks to the originals were better handled, and the battles were more epic than anything in TFA. After how excruciatingly safe Disney played it with TFA, this gives me a lot more hope for the rest of the series.

Also, Vader was just incredible. He was more imposing in that one scene than he ever was in the original trilogy.[/spoil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad