Official Training Camp Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
Anyone else listen to Strickland interview Hitch last night on 590?

Not too much we haven't already heard from him regarding camp, but Strickland asked a few questions about the Perron Backes Oshie lines and Petro. Hitch said, more or less, that there was a clear difference between the players that played over the summer and the players that did not. Wasn't overly negative, but seemed to think that it will take a little while (and a lot of work) for those guys to catch up. He did mention that they (and the team) looked better every day. Tonight will be a big night I suppose.

As always, good things to say about Schwartz and Frank. Seems to really love the changes that Stewart's made during the summer/lockout. Reiterating that Sobotka and Polak dominated in the Czech league.

Strickland also asked him about Backes and Hitch's interactions with Backes during and after the lockout. Hitch said he was concerned not so much concerned about the lockout itself, but how the players (attitudes, dispositions, etc.) would be coming out of a labor dispute. However, when he met with Backes for breakfast on Jan 6th, he said he was every bit the Blues Captain he had been last year, and nothing of the union man he'd seen during the lockout. Backes had notes he had compiled from keeping up with the players and what they were doing overseas, back home, etc. and that he was very proud of his notes and plan for the upcoming season. :D

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Anyone else listen to Strickland interview Hitch last night on 590?

Not too much we haven't already heard from him regarding camp, but Strickland asked a few questions about the Perron Backes Oshie lines and Petro. Hitch said, more or less, that there was a clear difference between the players that played over the summer and the players that did not. Wasn't overly negative, but seemed to think that it will take a little while (and a lot of work) for those guys to catch up. He did mention that they (and the team) looked better every day. Tonight will be a big night I suppose.

As always, good things to say about Schwartz and Frank. Seems to really love the changes that Stewart's made during the summer/lockout. Reiterating that Sobotka and Polak dominated in the Czech league.

Strickland also asked him about Backes and Hitch's interactions with Backes during and after the lockout. Hitch said he was concerned not so much concerned about the lockout itself, but how the players (attitudes, dispositions, etc.) would be coming out of a labor dispute. However, when he met with Backes for breakfast on Jan 6th, he said he was every bit the Blues Captain he had been last year, and nothing of the union man he'd seen during the lockout. Backes had notes he had compiled from keeping up with the players and what they were doing overseas, back home, etc. and that he was very proud of his notes and plan for the upcoming season. :D

First off...thanks for the recap.

Second, I really like that Backes was keeping tabs on his teammates. I assume Hitchcock was pretty happy with that as well.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden

:laugh: Best nickname on the team. I just love that we're actually using it. A joke from the Teej and all off a sudden everyone is using it as if we always has been. :)

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I seriously hope we can get all the fans to do the "Frank the Tank" shuffle when he scores...It'd be priceless.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Looks like Porter will be staying up since he was not put on waivers today. They are at 24 players and have to be at 23 by 3PM eastern tomorrow. It is to late to put anyone on waivers so that would have to mean Schwartz is getting sent down or some one is getting put on LTIR (as far as I know nobody is injured) or some one is being traded in the next 24 hrs.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Who are the extras right now, Schwartz/D'ags, Porter, Reaves, White and Woywitka?

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Who are the extras right now, Schwartz/D'ags, Porter, Reaves, White and Woywitka?

Yes, with Porter, Schwartz and Woywitka under 2-way deals. Schwartz not subject to waivers but the other two would be. Reaves on one-way contract and White on tryout, presumably signed if he makes the team.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Hopefully army is on the phone with Buffalo trying to get either Leopold or Sekera to pair with Petro!

Dag's, Rattie, 1st

Make it happen Army!

Whoa. HUGE overpayment for either of those guys (assuming you mean all three assets). I'd give a 2d for Leopold or maybe D'Agostini and a pick (NOT 1st) for Sekera.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Whoa. HUGE overpayment for either of those guys (assuming you mean all three assets). I'd give a 2d for Leopold or maybe D'Agostini and a pick (NOT 1st) for Sekera.

No, should have put an OR in between those players/picks. I was listing what I feel like might be the most valuable/expendable assets.

Yes, those 3 combined for either one of those players would be silly.

Although if you ask a Buffalo fan, a few have said they would only trade Sekera+ for Backes, so...

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
No, should have put an OR in between those players/picks. I was listing what I feel like might be the most valuable/expendable assets.

Yes, those 3 combined for either one of those players would be silly.

Although if you ask a Buffalo fan, a few have said they would only trade Sekera+ for Backes, so...

Well I'm fairly certain that Buffalo's GM, and I am positive that our GM, is not that delusional.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

Although, he was still their #4 defenseman last year. He's young and is under contract, but if they really must unload defensemen, as long as they think they have a shot at the playoffs, it seems weird to move Leopold, who got way more minutes and has way more experience. Unless Leopold has regressed and they're ready for Sekera to take the next step, or unless they don't have their sights set on the playoffs, you don't just unload a guy who played 22:22 last year.

Any one of those possibilities could be real, and they could be absolutely desperate to get scoring forwards - in which case, prospects and picks probably won't do it.
Honestly, if I'm Buffalo management, I'm not in a hurry to move either of Leopold or Sekera. But if I am, it's Leopold for picks/prospects at the deadline, or Sekera for an equivalent forward. Who in their right mind is going to unload a star for a package of a #4 defenseman and change? There's what you want on one hand and what is reasonable on the other. They don't always meet. That's the same reason we haven't seen the Blues trade for a bigtime #1 center or Pietro's mythical partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad