Official Training Camp Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Perhaps another option is if a player is released? If the Blues decide to part ways with a Langenbrunner or a Nichol and give them a chance to catch on elsewhere rather than send them down, then is releasing out of respect still an option? Not saying it is the best idea...Just saying it is still an option?

Also, what about packaging up a D'Agostini, Cole, and a stuck Peoria player for #4 to a noncontending team needing more capable bodies for their NHL roster? I have no players in mind, but the Blues in the distant past built their teams picking up packages of players for 1 solid veteran.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
It can't really be about the money for Redden at this point, right? If he could sign with his number 1 choice for minimum, you'd think he'd do that. Not saying the blues are his favorite at the moment or anything, just saying when you're making 6 mil this season already, why not go with who you see as the best choice for you, even if it's 500K to a million less for the season?

Use the Schwartz*

Why do we want Redden? The guy is almost 36 and hasn't played in the NHL for nearly 3 years.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Why do we want Redden? The guy is almost 36 and hasn't played in the NHL for nearly 3 years.

1) He hasn't played in the NHL because of his Cap hit, not because of his ability(and that's per Rag's fans).

2) We may want him because the left side of our defense is atrocious.
The best we have is Jackman, and he's barely top 4 caliber.

Behind that, we're 1 injury away from having Jeff Woywitka playing a regular shift.
The Left side of our D needs a serious upgrade.
I'm not saying Redden is the best option, but at close to League minimum he would provide us some quality depth and that is sorely needed right now.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Perhaps another option is if a player is released? If the Blues decide to part ways with a Langenbrunner or a Nichol and give them a chance to catch on elsewhere rather than send them down, then is releasing out of respect still an option? Not saying it is the best idea...Just saying it is still an option?

Also, what about packaging up a D'Agostini, Cole, and a stuck Peoria player for #4 to a noncontending team needing more capable bodies for their NHL roster? I have no players in mind, but the Blues in the distant past built their teams picking up packages of players for 1 solid veteran.

To release a player you have to buy them out, in order to buy out a player they have to be put on waivers first

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I could definitely see a team looking for bottom 6 help claiming Porter, hope he makes it through though.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I could definitely see a team looking for bottom 6 help claiming Porter, hope he makes it through though.

The fact that Peluso got claimed would lead me to agree, but we did let Porter try and find a regular NHL job in the summer and he ended up coming back and signing a 2-way deal here.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Agreed. I'd value Porter higher than Peluso (at least currently, maybe Peluso gets the nod long-term) and Peluso got grabbed from waivers so it wouldn't surprise me if Porter gets taken via waivers as well. Every other team is also going to be scrambling to get to a 23-man roster though so I also wouldn't be surprised if he passes through waivers.

If Porter gets claimed, I'll be disappointed but I'll also be happy for the guy as he probably deserves to be in the NHL somewhere. The Blues are just too deep for him and he got caught in the numbers game.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

No surprise here. Redden on a 1-year "tryout" contract with The Blues at maybe $1 Million or so, without having to pay any player assets and/or draft choices for him is a LOT better than paying 1-2 roster players plus high draft choices for Bouwmeester, and then having to pay him $6.8 million per year, and then later having to lose one or two young, talented players because of the salary cap.

In addition, Redden's best personal choice would probably be The Blues, because he is almost certainly guaranteed a Top 4 spot, and The Blues have as good a chance to win The Stanley Cup as any of the teams interested in him, and they probably have the very best future over the next 2-3 years (that he could possibly stay with them).

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Congrats to Schwartz on making the team. As much as I love Porter, he's not going to get playing time over Langenbrunner, Reaves, or D'Agostini.

...and we just signed Redden.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
1 year, $800k for Redden. I guess he's going to replace Woywitka as the 7th?

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Signing Redden takes up another roster spot. Now we have to drop 2 players in 1.5 hrs

Already sent down Porter, and White isn't signed. That means either Woywitka or Cole is going down, and my best guess is Woywitka.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Already sent down Porter, and White isn't signed. That means either Woywitka or Cole is going down, and my best guess is Woywitka.

Porter has not been sent down he was put on waivers, he has to be on waivers for 24 hrs before he can be sent down

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

You really want Cole wasting away on the bench?
Cole will be sent down for more playing time, Woywitka will be the 7th D man; Schwartz will probably be assigned to Peoria on paper until Porter clears waivers tomorrow.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
You really want Cole wasting away on the bench?
Cole will be sent down for more playing time, Woywitka will be the 7th D man; Schwartz will probably be assigned to Peoria on paper until Porter clears waivers tomorrow.

Rather sure they signed Redden to be the 7 to Coles 6

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Rather sure they signed Redden to be the 7 to Coles 6

Do you really want Cole playing on 15 minutes a night rather than 20+ for Peoria?
Do you really want to risk losing Woywitka on waivers and having to rely on Chorney as our first callup?

I know this won't sit well with the Cole fans; but it works best for the team to send Cole back down. He didn't do enough to secure a spot and sitting on the bench doesn't help him.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

Considering Wade Redden will likey wear #6 don't be surprised if Jeff Woywitka is sent down #stlblues

I hope Strick is right on this one. I'd rather see Cole-Redden than Redden-Woywitka.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Do you really want Cole playing on 15 minutes a night rather than 20+ for Peoria?

Yes, I'd much rather see Cole get a consistent 15 minutes in the NHL versus 20+ in Peoria. At some point, the Blues have to see what they've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad