Official Training Camp Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendan

rip bruv/cudi
Feb 12, 2012
California
Schwartz is still eligible for the Calder, isn't he? It occurred to me the other night that no one is talking about him in that regard, but now that he looks to be likely to make the team maybe he should be mentioned as a candidate. I have to admit, the coaches talk about him like he's farther along than I thought he was.

I'm pretty sure he is

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
White could definitely be a solid pickup, and I could easily see him be the 7th over Woywitka. He can at least give us some more size and physical play.
Agreed. I actually like the White pickup now.

I'm getting very excited about Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart. The potential is there and so far so good it sounds like.

I think some people need to relax about Tarasenko. Not anyone on here, I'm talking more about the casual fan who has probably just heard his hype and probably is expecting him to light it up with ease, but it doesn't always work like that. He cannot be expected to be Pavel Bure. However, with McDonald feeding him the puck, he'll certainly put some of those in the net.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Sounds like the Perron - Backes - Oshie line needs to pick it up.

Those 3 didn't play during the lockout (other than Perron's few game stints with other French-Canadian hockey guys), while almost everyone else on the team played somewhere else for the lockout. I haven't heard anything about Pietrangelo from anyone and I'm kind of worried.

I don't like the fact that our "star" players didn't play anywhere during the lockout because it sounds now that they are lacking and I don't want to start off the season with our best players lagging behind.

The 9-21-25 line I heard has looked great though so hopefully they can pick up some of the slack from the other line(s).

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Schwartz is still eligible for the Calder, isn't he? It occurred to me the other night that no one is talking about him in that regard, but now that he looks to be likely to make the team maybe he should be mentioned as a candidate. I have to admit, the coaches talk about him like he's farther along than I thought he was.

Yes he is eligible. No one is talking about him because most people were not expecting him to start the season in STL and because there is a lot of rookies expected to do better than Schwartz. There was an article on TSN a couple days ago that had schwartz about 20th among rookies

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart Line

Schwartz could really make this line go. Berglund and Stewart both can fire the puck. Hope fully they can give Schwartz some extra room to operate and Schwartz play making ability can help their production.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Yes he is eligible. No one is talking about him because most people were not expecting him to start the season in STL and because there is a lot of rookies expected to do better than Schwartz. There was an article on TSN a couple days ago that had schwartz about 20th among rookies

People also don't know what to make of Schwartz in general. He's not your typical high octane prospect. He has nice hands, but he's not fancy. He's elusive, but he's not a speedster. He wins battles and goes to the net, but he's on the smaller side. He hasn't lit up a professional league like many of the most anticipated rookies have.

The only way to know what Schwartz provides is to watch him play a game instead of just highlights. And then plenty of the people who have watched him see his size and don't grasp his cerebral, detail-oriented game; so they don't come away with the excitement that a flashier, but worse prospect can provide.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If Chris Stewart plays the way people are starting to hope he will play with the recent reports of his conditioning being much improve, it's a gamechanger, moreso than Jaden Schwartz will be his rookie season.

jimmykay

Nov 15, 2011
If Chris Stewart plays the way people are starting to hope he will play with the recent reports of his conditioning being much improve, it's a gamechanger, moreso than Jaden Schwartz will be his rookie season.
I agree completely. If Stewart can get back to top 6 or possibly top 3 performance like we assumed when we traded for him, then this is going to be one scary team.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Nothing personal against Dag's, but I am pulling for Schwartz for making the team and playing LW on that line.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Since i saw schwartz play his 7 games with us and the world juniors... you can tell he's gonna be a stud. He reminds me of eberle in the way he thinks the game. considering taking him OVER FRANK in my fantasy draft. atleast for the beginning of the year until FRANK gets a feel and starts putting up a PPG. I could see us heating up come playoff time and maybe doin what the kings did last year.(we can only hope)

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Nothing personal against Dag's, but I am pulling for Schwartz for making the team and playing LW on that line.

After watching the scrimmage last night and seeing him with Berglund-Stewart I'm really pulling for him. Could be a real good line

Big Huff

Dec 17, 2011
STL
What's up with Polak and Backes getting into it during the scrimmage? Is that normal for teammates to get in a little scuff? Lets go BLUES :yo:

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
is Halak going to play most of your games this year?

Only if by "most" you mean more than Elliott Give how condensed the season is I'd expect the time share to be roughly even with Halak only getting maybe 5 extra games down the stretch.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Only if by "most" you mean more than Elliott Give how condensed the season is I'd expect the time share to be roughly even with Halak only getting maybe 5 extra games down the stretch.

I think Halak is going to establish himself as the clear starter this season, and start at least 2/3rds of the games.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Strongly disagree. Polak is a better fighter.

Always been a big hockey fight fan... Personally, I don't think either of them are very good at it, but they are willing. Polak may have had one big win in the postseason last year, but he didn't look like much of a fighter when Kyle Clifford got a hold of him. Backes is spotty at best. He's lost his share. Neither of them can hold a candle to Chris Stewart. I would say they probably tussled and grappled, but didn't really fight much. It takes a lot of energy to fight like that and they were preparing for the season. Kelly Chase made the comment that if he was going to fight, he wanted to do it early in the shift. Rick Tocchet caught Chaser at the end of a shift and promptly cleaned his clock. That was the one thing that was impressive about the punching bag Cam Janssen. He had to be in such stellar shape to outlast his opponents and comeback in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad