*OFFICIAL* Shawinigan Cataractes 2013-2014

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
That's a tough break for Shawinigan. Any word on how long they'll be out of the lineup ? That's arguably their two best players...

17 total wins since the Cup. With Boudreau and Cupper injured there's really nothing to even trade at the trade period. I hope the Shawi scouts are looking as they're going to have great draft picks hopefully.. I still don't understand why Shawi doesn't look in its own back yard.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Mauricie Region

17 total wins since the Cup. With Boudreau and Cupper injured there's really nothing to even trade at the trade period. I hope the Shawi scouts are looking as they're going to have great draft picks hopefully.. I still don't understand why Shawi doesn't look in its own back yard.

Low population region. Midget AAA Estacades are not a major producer of talent.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Low population region. Midget AAA Estacades are not a major producer of talent.

I meant in the AAA league. There are some players there who could play. Some Q teams, even Shawi have players there like and the scouts do attend the games. What would a team like the current Shawinigan have to lose other than a card?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Rights

I meant in the AAA league. There are some players there who could play. Some Q teams, even Shawi have players there like and the scouts do attend the games. What would a team like the current Shawinigan have to lose other than a card?

Shawinigan would have to have their rights. Most of the 15, 16 year olds playing Midget AAA or Espoir are QMJHL draft eligible in 2014 only.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Shawinigan would have to have their rights. Most of the 15, 16 year olds playing Midget AAA or Espoir are QMJHL draft eligible in 2014 only.

Sorry, I meant JuniorAAA teams. Lots of players who couldn't do worse. And what's to lose? Do you see ANY plan in the works? Last year's draft picks were a waste of time too. Empty seats will cause something to get shaken? Sad to see what's happening. AP a minus 3 with one hit yesterday. How long can that last?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Mortgaging the Future

Sorry, I meant JuniorAAA teams. Lots of players who couldn't do worse. And what's to lose? Do you see ANY plan in the works? Last year's draft picks were a waste of time too. Empty seats will cause something to get shaken? Sad to see what's happening. AP a minus 3 with one hit yesterday. How long can that last?

Junior AAA players tend to be drafted QMJHL players who are not good enough and get sent down. So you still have the rights issue. You also have the problematic players or the ones going to school and playing hockey.

Perhaps a couple of the "free agent" school players could help Shawinigan if they were willing to move and waste a school year. Doubtful since there is no benefit to them either financially or hockey wise.

Shawinigan paid a heavy price, mortgaged the future to win the Memorial Cup. The structure of the QMJHL feeder leagues makes it difficult for a small market team to re-build quickly if they trade away the future.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Probably

Very good explanation. Will this coach last the season?

Probably. Before firing a coach a replacement has to be in hand. Not the case here plus the team does not have the budget space to pay two coaches. Beyond this season is another question.

Martin Bernard was one of the few who applied for the job. Problems in Shawinigan are at the management level.

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
Probably. Before firing a coach a replacement has to be in hand. Not the case here plus the team does not have the budget space to pay two coaches. Beyond this season is another question.

Martin Bernard was one of the few who applied for the job. Problems in Shawinigan are at the management level.

Scotty bownman probably couldnt win with that line up.....

Little Black

@LittleBlack87
Jun 30, 2010
Last I heard TR does not have a suitable arena. Ideally TR could get a Q franchise with a new arena so the old rivalry would be reborn.

First they don't have a suitable arena and secondly the Cataractes have a territory veto. The region of Mauricie would not be suitable for 2 teams.

T-R had the chance to have 2 teams in their history and lost both of them. Shawinigan is a better market for hockey than T-R.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Mauricie

First they don't have a suitable arena and secondly the Cataractes have a territory veto. The region of Mauricie would not be suitable for 2 teams.

T-R had the chance to have 2 teams in their history and lost both of them. Shawinigan is a better market for hockey than T-R.

The T.R. arena issue could be resolved should the various projects centered on the old exposition grounds ever go forward. Granted its been thirty years, give or take so there are no guarantees.

The following article explores the situation:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhoc...d-good-qmjhl-market-worth-cost-065825161.html

With another Q team in T.R. the game dates do not conflict and there is sufficient sponsorship money in the area for two - Source du Sport / Sport Excellence type rivalries to make it work.

The real risk is the AHL if the Canadiens project in Laval falls thru.

As things stand, Shawinigan as an original Q team has game date priority. A T.R. team in the Q would have to respect this. An AHL team in T.R. would target the Friday night dates.

Little Black

@LittleBlack87
Jun 30, 2010
The T.R. arena issue could be resolved should the various projects centered on the old exposition grounds ever go forward. Granted its been thirty years, give or take so there are no guarantees.

The following article explores the situation:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhoc...d-good-qmjhl-market-worth-cost-065825161.html

With another Q team in T.R. the game dates do not conflict and there is sufficient sponsorship money in the area for two - Source du Sport / Sport Excellence type rivalries to make it work.

The real risk is the AHL if the Canadiens project in Laval falls thru.

As things stand, Shawinigan as an original Q team has game date priority. A T.R. team in the Q would have to respect this. An AHL team in T.R. would target the Friday night dates.

Thanks for the infos!

I based my opinion on the statements made by the Cataractes organization and by various fans in Shawinigan and T-R.

On a hockey standpoint it would be a really good thing for the rivalry for sure! That would make some exciting hockey to watch!

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Stephane Leroux ‏@StephRDSJunior 30s
Les #Cataractes échangent l'attaquant de 20 ans Matthew Boudreau aux #Tigres en retour de choix de 4e et 9e ronde en 2014 #lhjmq

From being worth a 1st a few months ago, to a 4th and 9th, yikes.

Little Black

@LittleBlack87
Jun 30, 2010
Les #Cataractes échangent l'attaquant de 20 ans Matthew Boudreau aux #Tigres en retour de choix de 4e et 9e ronde en 2014 #lhjmq

Yep bad trade for the Cataractes. I know he hasn't the best attitude but yikes he can provide some offense! Good trade for the Tigres.

I think we would have had more in return for him being more patient before trading him.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Can't believe that's all he was worth.

I was expecting something along the lines of a 1st rounder (value wise).

Good trade for Victo.

Doesn't make Shawinigan look the best.

I thought Boudreau was headed to Rimouski. I wonder if Beauchemin's play in his first couple of games won him a spot ?

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Can't believe that's all he was worth.

I was expecting something along the lines of a 1st rounder (value wise).

Good trade for Victo.

Doesn't make Shawinigan look the best.

I thought Boudreau was headed to Rimouski. I wonder if Beauchemin's play in his first couple of games won him a spot ?

Who made that deal? Terrible for Shawi. A 4th and 9th? Awful.
What will Cupper bring, another 4th and 9th?

Will the fans still come?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Trades

2/3 of a season for a 20 year old who would not make a difference(getting Shawinigan into the playoffs) for picks in a fairly deep draft that could yield talent that will play 0-5 seasons.

Also the pro tryout contracts in the minor leagues are expiring so a 20 year old roster opening could bring a reasonable short term player.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
2/3 of a season for a 20 year old who would not make a difference(getting Shawinigan into the playoffs) for picks in a fairly deep draft that could yield talent that will play 0-5 seasons.

Also the pro tryout contracts in the minor leagues are expiring so a 20 year old roster opening could bring a reasonable short term player.

Trading him was the right move , no doubt.

The return is what had a lot of people scratching their heads. Obviously they got what they could but it's hard to believe another team didn't up the ante.

Little Black

@LittleBlack87
Jun 30, 2010
Who made that deal? Terrible for Shawi. A 4th and 9th? Awful.
What will Cupper bring, another 4th and 9th?

Will the fans still come?

I would be bery surprised if Cupper was traded...

Shawinigan has a true hockey fans so the average attendance to the games is around 2400 persons which is not bad giving the circumstances.

panoramique1214.jpg

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS

I wouldn't put it that way. Very few 20s are worth a first, especially for a half season.

The first was a placeholder. It was always understood that Boudreau would be coming at the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad