OFFICIAL PANIC THREAD - 2015/16 Season

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We still could have paid the man to stay.

I mean he's back now but who cares.

Yes, the team could have paid Alfie the $7m per year for two years, for a total of $14M to stay. THAT would have been a BIG mistake! I agreed with the team letting him go to Detroit. Alfie was being too greedy!

However, I agree with the poster who said we wasted money resigning Phillips. THAT was wrong given Phillips decline.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I feel like the defense has slowly been giving me aneurysm. Literally from the first time i came on HF i've been saying we need better defense. Im at the point where it sometimes makes me sick watching this team

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I feel like the defense has slowly been giving me aneurysm. Literally from the first time i came on HF i've been saying we need better defense. Im at the point where it sometimes makes me sick watching this team

It's neven been this bad IMO, we had a bad defense for the last 3 year but this is insane.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
eN1i2IB.gif

lol....overacting dude in the background is hilarious :laugh:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
it's been the same defense though

I agree but Karlsson is not playing well at all and Wiercioch has been next level bad. We knew he was bad but he has reached a new peak. Usually Karlsson is much better than that and it makes a good difference.

I mean, I know they are the same guys but I've personally never seen them this bad. Obviously it should've never got this point.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
I try so very hard not to question the coaching staff and management staff on the players that they put on the ice each game. They know more than I do, especially the inner workings of the team specifically. ...but why do they keep the same D pairings (or worse, return to the pairings that were awful to begin with?)... Boro looks like an AHLer, no matter how much I love his gumption... Cowan doesn't move the puck nearly as quickly as he should (and he needs a haircut - boo-urns man buns!)... Weircioch has lost whatever mojo he had at the end of last year...

What is Marshy up to these days?!?

BradMarsh.jpg

(Still love those uniforms though... but that's a discussion for another thread!)

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
What if that means were in worse shape down the road.

Our AHL team is already pretty garbagey, but we have enough "live fire" prospects that we could package one or two with a healthy body for a top four defenceman. At the deadline move dead bodies like Michalek, Neil, Phillips for whatever picks you can get to compensate.

It's a juggling act. The team won't be contending for a few years but that doesn't mean we need to have a horrible defence for the foreseeable future.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This is what an average team looks like.

After so many years of finishing middle of the pack, that is basically what we are left with, a middle of the pack team.

As an organization we have drafted pretty well considering very few top 10 picks over the last 15 years. Finding diamonds in the rough can really put you a head.

The problem with this though is that we haven't drafted the elite talent that is going to put us over the top. Montreal has gotten very lucky in drafting Price. Without price I think Montreal is comparable to Ottawa.

As in the past Murray has continued to promote from within. All of his picks stay in the system for as long as possible. The problem with this is that I think we hold on to players after their best before date. Murray seems to lack the ability to gamble. More times than not Murray sits back and does nothing to address problems until it is too late. Even spending to the cap wouldn't fill the holes we have on this team.

Players like Stone, Zibanejad, Ceci,etc are projected to be top end but have been thrown to the sharks. They never had to beat anyone out for playing time, they just were promoted because more established players were moved out. Now we have a very young and inconsistent team in need of veteran leadership.

At some point if everything comes together we will be a good average team but I think our lack of high end talent is what is going to keep us closer to the middle that closer to the top for at least the next couple of years.

Our top line is good, but not great. Ottawa has 2 second lines but most will argue that the #'s show Turris is Blabla bla.....
Turris is as much a top center as Zibby is a 2nd line center. This is how you maintain an average team

On good teams Methot is a 2nd pairing d man but for us he is valuable to allow Karlsson to perform. This is how you maintain an average team.

Anderson is a solid #1 goalie. He makes any team in front of him a bit better and is far from one of our problem but this is how you maintain an average team.

At this point Ottawa seems to be in no mans land. Toronto has suffered from this for the last 20 years and has missed the playoffs for half of those season. Always having enough talent to be respectful but never enough to be a threat.

The first great sens team of the modern era were built on high picks and a good defensive system. the Second great sens team of the modern era was built on scoring and a high tempo game. Now that we are into our 3rd era we have no high picks, not a good defense, no high tempo. Now we want a 200 foot team. To me that sounds like a lot of average players working their ***** off to not look bad.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I think that we have a competitive team, I think that it will come to last few days of the season for us to qualify for the playoffs. We are on the right track slowly, this team as a lot of potential and there's still plenty of hockey to be played this season, I'm feel positive about where this team is going.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I think a lot of you are way to negative, so far this season the Sens have got points in 13 out of the 18 games we have played, we have only 5 loses in regulation. We are in 2nd place in the division so i dont understand why so many fans are disappointed.

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
I think a lot of you are way to negative, so far this season the Sens have got points in 13 out of the 18 games we have played, we have only 5 loses in regulation. We are in 2nd place in the division so i dont understand why so many fans are disappointed.

Dunno, from a W/L psychology effect :
- 5 regular time victories
- 3 OT/Shootout Wins
- 5 regular time loses
- 5 OT/Shootout loses
==============
8 wins and 10 loses

Also, renember the Atlantic division has a 4pt spread between 2nd and 7th.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
How I feel after the majority of OTs/SOs whilst watching the Sens this year.

Either mad as eff or celebrating. Often it looks the same to others.

flip_over_desk.0.jpg

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Not to sound cruel, but I think it's time to move on from Bryan Murray. Since he's been the GM of this team, we've won 1 playoff round. I feel like he's the type of GM that knows how to put the pieces together, but doesn't have that ability to make one or two extra moves to make that can put this team over the top.Under him, I always feel like Ottawa's stuck in that "young team that's good but not great" phase and has been that way for a long, long time. I honestly thought we would have atleast made a couple of decent playoff runs since 07 but it just hasn't happened for some reason. I appreciate everything Murray's done for us but I think it's time for a fresh look at things..

And if they do move on from Murray I hope they bring in someone from the outside. It'd be good to have another way of thinking rather than just going the route of promoting Murray's assistants etc. I have little reason to believe that'll change anything with this team

I dont now if any of this will happen with a guy like Melnyk running the team, but that's my hope that it does

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
our abysmal goaltending

lots being said in various threads about how this team is playing. The really good news is that we are holding down a playoff spot yet we really aren't firing on all cylinders. One aspect of the game or another is simply not working at all. Nice to see the PP get going. That helps.

On to the purpose of the thread. Anderson has not been good this year at all. 911 save percentage year to date and in a lot of games he is giving up a softie that is 100% on him. Some people might look at all the big stops he makes but you know goalies are supposed to make big stops, or certainly high end goalies do. Look at the two breakaway stops Rinne made last week on Hoffman. Last night's game, Anderson just looked silly on that goal by Larkin. Maybe he was cheating because Larkin made him look silly a few weeks back on a wraparound. Doesn't matter. He has to step his game up and stop allowing soft goals.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
lol. our goaltending is above average.

we need D to be able to limit some of the grade A chances.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
lol. our goaltending is above average.

we need D to be able to limit some of the grade A chances.

I disagree with this to a certain extent and agree with the OP. We have had, in the past, much better goaltending than we've seen from Anderson so far this year. Larkin's goal IS truly a representation of so many goals we've seen against Anderson this year: really low percentage opportunities turned in to goals because of mental breakdowns. Add to that, among other things, the inability to stop wraparounds if his goddamn life depended on it and what we've seen so far this year is a guy really not performing up to his calibre.

You have a team that's in the bottom 5 for goals against but who are just outside the top 5 for goals for. No, not every single goal can be on Anderson. The team defense, especially that human tire fire Patrick Weircioch, are certainly responsible for a lot of the goals that are ending up in the net. But last night's game was an example of a game where Anderson saw A LOT of shots but not necessarily A LOT of high percentage scoring chances. And he just wasn't good enough last night. He didn't make any big saves for the team when they needed them. And on top of that, he gives up that seriously hideous goal to Larkin and now the team spends the game playing from behind pretty much the whole way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad