OT: Official Olympic thread. Go Canada Go!!!

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
So, your explanation as to why the Canadian women are doing well is that the rest of world isn't trying? LOL, that's a pretty typical Canadian response but it seems absurd to me, I would suggest that only a few countries invest less money than Canada on their Olympians.

The Women's soccer team just beat France to get into the semis, that was a great game. Germans again, they'll be tough.

There's less women competing from around the world.

Canada's team is 60% women. The Olympics as a whole is 45% women.

Canada may not invest much in their Olympians but that's going to have a disproportionate impact on men and less so on women. A lot of these sports have professional leagues or circuit events where it's mostly men who compete... and if the women compete - they aren't making the same money as the men. So the competition at the Olympics with respect to women is a lot more amateurish in nature. That's just the reality without getting into how many cultures from around the world are much less accepting of female athletes than Canada.
If we want the cheapest and fastest way to win more medals in 2020 - just spend a **** ton on female athletes because there is less competition.

I get that it's uncomfortable to think and talk about... but denying reality and calling out people isn't going to fly.

I mean... people have no problem talking about the lack of competition in the Winter Olympics because so few nations have the winter conditions (or interest) to develop athletes...

Last edited:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It's an interesting theory that Canadian women are getting much fairer a percentage of the money for athletes. It would be interesting for a journalist to investigate that idea. Or Canadian women just rock.

I dont quite get the complaint over trampoline though. It seems an integral part of the gym, along with the rings and floor exercises. Is it just because its too much fun? I would think the best athlete would have better odds of winning?

I remember when Casey Martin wanted to be able to take a cart on the pga tour because of his disability. And they wouldnt allow it because walking the course was considered part of the game. Although they are allowed to have caddies. That seems kind of a strange throwback to when it was a sport for old aristocrats. But golf is a sport that the best win at. So it seems deserving of sporting competition. I wonder why car racing isnt Olympic though.

To be an olympic sport it has to be played in several continents and many countries. To be a sport, the best athletes should probably have the best chance of winning. Not sure that applies to video games, although they are getting their own olympics now it seems, so perhaps one day they will have the Olympics, Paralympics, and the gamer games.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Please play golf at least
10 times then come back here and say that. If you respond with I play golf we know you're lying so don't bother.

I've played golf. More than a. Couple times, if you want to accuse me of lying go for it. I'm no good at it, it's a difficult game, but it's boring to me. I'd rather go hiking or canoeing to enjoy the sun.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
The last few posts about why female athletes are doing better makes me feel like we are downplaying what they are doing.

They've been awesome!

Please don't kill my girl power rant here!

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I've played golf. More than a. Couple times, if you want to accuse me of lying go for it. I'm no good at it, it's a difficult game, but it's boring to me. I'd rather go hiking or canoeing to enjoy the sun.

lol I'm just being an ass. Golf is fun as hell and super competitive it totally deserves to be an Olympic sport. In all honesty if you don't like it I totally get it and your opinion. I am just saying try to view it from the opposite side and you'll see it makes sense that it's there.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bleh, Golf. The only reason I ever played in the first place was for something to do with my dad.

I imagine I probably won't ever play again. Hate the game. I should probably sell my clubs next time I'm in Ottawa.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Bleh, Golf. The only reason I ever played in the first place was for something to do with my dad.

I imagine I probably won't ever play again. Hate the game. I should probably sell my clubs next time I'm in Ottawa.

or hear me out here you could keep playing. I know I know

anigif_enhanced-28325-1424799404-3.gif

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Never liked it in the first place, and now on top of that it brings up all the sads due to context.

Probably never playing again. At the very least, not playing any time soon, for a long while.

Fair enough I am not trying to convert all the anti golfers on here I just think if you play it enough you really start to enjoy it.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
And another bronze from the women (team pursuit cycling)

Edit: bronze in women's heptathlon as well

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
It's an interesting theory that Canadian women are getting much fairer a percentage of the money for athletes. It would be interesting for a journalist to investigate that idea. Or Canadian women just rock.

I dont quite get the complaint over trampoline though. It seems an integral part of the gym, along with the rings and floor exercises. Is it just because its too much fun? I would think the best athlete would have better odds of winning?

I remember when Casey Martin wanted to be able to take a cart on the pga tour because of his disability. And they wouldnt allow it because walking the course was considered part of the game. Although they are allowed to have caddies. That seems kind of a strange throwback to when it was a sport for old aristocrats. But golf is a sport that the best win at. So it seems deserving of sporting competition. I wonder why car racing isnt Olympic though.

To be an olympic sport it has to be played in several continents and many countries. To be a sport, the best athletes should probably have the best chance of winning. Not sure that applies to video games, although they are getting their own olympics now it seems, so perhaps one day they will have the Olympics, Paralympics, and the gamer games.

Canadian women right now are near being the best in the world Henderson is ranked 2nd the soccer team is ranked 8th the basketball is up there as well the swimmers are ranked in the top 100 while the men there ranked much worse so Canada put money into the higher ranked teams etc.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
DrunkUncleDenis

France and the States were fully expected to be playing in the final in womens soccer.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I just don't see how Bolt loses unless he has a horrible start in the finals. He cruised at the end and still had a massive lead.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Started and finished the 100m. Canada with bronze. Usian Bolt wins gold. Can't remember who was silver

Cheaty McDoper was 2nd. Ooops... I mean Gatlin (USA).

Tokyo seems like it will be wide open with Bolt gone and Phelps gone. It's the end of an era here.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good 100m race.
I was expecting Bolt to smoke De Grasse.

Jamaica has the fastest man and woman in the world.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
So, your explanation as to why the Canadian women are doing well is that the rest of world isn't trying? LOL, that's a pretty typical Canadian response but it seems absurd to me, I would suggest that only a few countries invest less money than Canada on their Olympians.

The Women's soccer team just beat France to get into the semis, that was a great game. Germans again, they'll be tough.

Hah, this is the opposite of the type of discussion I was trying to stimulate. But thanks for reducing and dismissing my thoughts without any actual provocative thinking on your part.

Ether did a pretty good job with the rebuttal so I'll leave it there. Clearly people don't want to talk about it for fear of social suicide.

DrunkUncleDenis

France and the States were fully expected to be playing in the final in womens soccer.

Agreed. They are killing it, and I've watched or listened to every game. Still doesn't make my thoughts invalid.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I would suggest that only a few countries invest less money than Canada on their Olympians.

Well, that's just not true. We invest more actual dollars into our programs, including infrastructure costs, than most countries - especially western developed ones. Last I heard it's in the $250mil/year area.

Some countries invest more per capita, but send less athletes and therefore spend less total dollars.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Well, that's just not true. We invest more actual dollars into our programs, including infrastructure costs, than most countries - especially western developed ones. Last I heard it's in the $250mil/year area.

Some countries invest more per capita, but send less athletes and therefore spend less total dollars.

The mens volleyball team is based out of Gatineau state of the art training venue that you would be hard pressed to find in anywhere else that's better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad