OT: Official Olympic thread. Go Canada Go!!!

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
With all the negativity surrounding the Olympics I thought this would be a great place to inject some Sens boards positivity.

How is this not an Olympic sport?

Hacky Sack soccer volleyball?

WTF. Those guys are doing things with their legs that do not look natural. Does that sport have a name, I feel like I'm on drugs watching it

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Is anyone even watching the Olympics? I like the track events over everything else. If Canada's basketball team made it I would be watching.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The women's team is very good...worth watching their games.

7s rugby is crazy...super fast.

Swimming is always interesting and now with some Canadian flavour near the top in tennis that will be good too.

And of course Brooke Henderson in golf!

Lots to enjoy.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
From what I have seen on my feed, one of our swimmers (a 16-year-old female) already has two medals. Seems Canada is doing well so far.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
From what I have seen on my feed, one of our swimmers (a 16-year-old female) already has two medals. Seems Canada is doing well so far.

She's Jamie Oleksiak's (Dallas Stars) younger sister! Good genes in that family!

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

Yeah she seems very good.

Other than that our women's rugby team has been doing well. Women's soccer has been good so far (but their challenging games are ahead).

I'm not sure who's supposed to be good for Canada otherwise. Seems like not a lot of amazing Canadian athletes this year

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Other than that our women's rugby team has been doing well. Women's soccer has been good so far (but their challenging games are ahead).

I'm not sure who's supposed to be good for Canada otherwise. Seems like not a lot of amazing Canadian athletes this year

Well, that's usually the case in most Summer Games for Canada. There are some well-known athletes like Adam van Koeverden, but if we do win anything or have success in a sport it is usually "out-of-nowhere" athletes that surprise, like Simon Whitfield back in the day. As a whole we aren't strong at the Summer Games. I mean, we only got 1 gold in London and it was in trampoline.

Also, what happened to Canadian rowing? We used to be boss at that.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire

We always seem to have a couple good rowers and there's a number of track athletes that could challenge for medals like De Grasse and the multi eventers.

I always enjoy the Olympics. Get to check out some sports you otherwise never would and always have the Canadians to cheer for.

muskratBear

Apr 9, 2012
Winnipeg
Canadian men's indoor volleyball team had an incredible result vs the states! Watched the match and the lads were flawless . Should be a good tourney!

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
We always seem to have a couple good rowers and there's a number of track athletes that could challenge for medals like De Grasse and the multi eventers.

I always enjoy the Olympics. Get to check out some sports you otherwise never would and always have the Canadians to cheer for.

It comes and goes, but for me I always think of swimming and the paddling sports as the two summer venues where we consistently do well.

Really amazed that the mens volleyball team beat the US yesterday. Impressive.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

This is expected to be one of the strongest years for Canada they should pick up a pile of medals in track and equestrian then you look golf Brook should win silver maybe gold plus the womens beach volleyball teams are doing very well.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
This is expected to be one of the strongest years for Canada they should pick up a pile of medals in track and equestrian then you look golf Brook should win silver maybe gold plus the womens beach volleyball teams are doing very well.

Good to know. Thanks.

I'll keep an eye out for the track and field events

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Boy is Genie Bouchard a huge disappointment after the hot start to her career. Lost in the 2nd round today and has been eliminated for the singles.

Either she completely falls off the map over the next few years, or she finds a sports psychologist that can fix whatever issue she has and gets back to the top-10. Unfortunately, I think the former is much more likely to happen.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Boy is Genie Bouchard a huge disappointment after the hot start to her career. Lost in the 2nd round today and has been eliminated for the singles.

Either she completely falls off the map over the next few years, or she finds a sports psychologist that can fix whatever issue she has and gets back to the top-10. Unfortunately, I think the former is much more likely to happen.

To be fair she has really turned it around this year if you look at her this year vs last year its night and say no question she will be a top 15 this year.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Although I've only watched a handful of matches this year. And know little about tennis. When I watched Bouchard she played great until the moment she is challenged by her opponent... then she just makes mistake after mistake.

In other news...

Bronze for CAN Women Rugby 7s. Beating Great Britain was a great win for them today

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

She's a bust. :)

Marty9

Sep 26, 2007
Favorite Olympic sport to watch

Just wondering what your favorite Olympic sports to watch are?

Summer and winter choices would be good, but if hockey is #1 maybe pick a 2nd winter sport.

Summer: indoor volleyball- Men's

Winter: hockey of course
And then short track speed skating

Last edited:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Minus hockey...

Summer: diving and gymnastics are my fav. But I like volleyball, rugby and short track/swimming events

Winter: ski jumping and shorter distance speed skating and figure skating.

I can't pick a favorite... sorry

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Summer: Women's soccer (only our team and only because i follow it) and Swimming

Winter: The Freestyle Ski and snowboard stuff. I got up at 5:00 AM to watch that stuff last Olympics. Speed skating is fun to watch as well. (not a fan of winter Olympic hockey)

Examples:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad