OT: Official Olympic thread. Go Canada Go!!!

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Related point: I caught the shootout in the semi finals in women's field hockey. It was amazing and I think the NHL could adopt this style.

There were basically two rules - a shot clock, and the ball can't go past the goal line. And I guess the goalie freezing it ends the attempt. So many interesting moves like coming in backwards, or ripping a shot into the pads and playing the rebound, or really aggressive poke checks.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I think ideally you just move it out a bit further and not so much an NHL style penalty shot.

But as ridiculous as that looks - it's entertaining. Not "LOL GOALIE GUESSED WRONG WAY AGAIN".

It sounds like your problem is with the shootout itself, so I don't know why you're proposing going straight to the shootout.

Also - those uniforms...:amazed::shakehead

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
You mean they should change it to this?

:laugh:

Yes. Yes, they should change it to this, immediately.
I could never understand why they put the goalie at such a huge disadvantage, taking a game where it's almost impossible to score and making a game where it's almost impossible not to score.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It sounds like your problem is with the shootout itself, so I don't know why you're proposing going straight to the shootout.

Also - those uniforms...:amazed::shakehead

I never said go straight to the shootout... I'm just saying a large percentage of games end up in a shootout so you might as well try to make it more fair.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Sorry it was someone else saying that but then you responded to the response so I conflated the two

And yet it was decided by penalty kicks. I don't even know why they bother playing the first 120 minutes. Just have each side send out their best 5 shooters and let's get this show on the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad