OT: Official Olympic thread. Go Canada Go!!!

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
Women Volley Ball obviously :naughty:

But honestly, any type of Volley Ball, I enjoy watching both men/women beach/indoor Volleyball.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I miss CBC. In NZ they have a subscription based cable company broadcasting the games so you have to be a subscriber to watch online. And CBC is only able to show streams and highlights to Canadian IPs

RandomChickenWing

Sep 11, 2015
Summer: Indoor Volleyball, Men's Artistic Gymnastics, Wrestling, and Water Polo

Winter: Hockey, Mogul's Freestyle Skiing, Short Track Speed Skating

I really should be studying for my exams but the Olympics are awesome

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Volleyball and gymnastics. Swimming can be very exciting when Canada has a chance to medal.

Winter: the ski cross/ snowboard cross are the most exciting sport of the winter Olympics. Short track skating too.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Only one I try to catch in summer are the equestrian events....but Ian Millar isn't there this year.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I really did laugh out loud here at work! Good one!
passout.gif

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Also, what happened to Canadian rowing? We used to be boss at that.

Dunno if i quoted this correctly, but they split up the powerful mens 8 which was our **** because they thought we could win more medals if we split them up and they went into 4s and 2s. So far it has failed completely as they have struggled to make the adjustment. I think the 4s team is already out and overall since the change the 4s/2s have not been doing that well on the world circuit.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Boy is Genie Bouchard a huge disappointment after the hot start to her career. Lost in the 2nd round today and has been eliminated for the singles.

Either she completely falls off the map over the next few years, or she finds a sports psychologist that can fix whatever issue she has and gets back to the top-10. Unfortunately, I think the former is much more likely to happen.

She was up 4-1 in the first set yesterday. Once Kerber broke, she lost 7 straight games into the second set. So this plays into your theory of her folding when she is pressured.

Speed walking. Can't tell if they are racing for the finish line or the toilet. :laugh:

John Oliver said something to the effect of this about speed walking: Let's see how is the fastest at not going their fastest.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
John Oliver said something to the effect of this about speed walking: Let's see how is the fastest at not going their fastest.

Not to mention everyone breaks the rules, and the sport won't use instant replay because they would catch everyone breaking the rules.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
I'm surprised track and field isn't on everyone's list. By far the most fun and exciting of the events.

The 4x100 relay might be the most exciting minute in all of sports. All the speed and power of the 100, but with just enough time for tension to build and some kind of story to unfold. And there's skill and teamwork as well as pure talent. The fastest team can lose by dropping the stick, stepping on the lane divider or failing to make clean exchanges. A great event.

In the winter, I like alpine skiing, especially the downhill, and ski cross and snowboard cross. And hockey, of course.

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
This was the top post on Reddit this morning.

[snip - doesn't need to be posted twice]

I'm actually surprised weight lifting doesn't cause more horrific injuries than it already does. Seems like every lift has a high potential for disaster.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Not to mention everyone breaks the rules, and the sport won't use instant replay because they would catch everyone breaking the rules.

Speed walking is the most ridiculous thing ever. I can't believe it's an Olympic event.

Maybe it's already been mentioned but my fun fact is that hockey was originally a Summer Olympic sport. The first time it came to the Olympics it was the summer one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad