*OFFICIAL* Halifax Mooseheads 2014-2015 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
One thing nobody can ever say about this team is they don't have heart.

That series with Shawinigan was brutal. With all the overtime they played, and how nasty the series got, I didn't think we would have a chance against a team as good as Moncton. But the boys really gutted it out, and they should be really proud of what they accomplished this year.

So, is it too early to start talking about next year? I like how our defense came together as the season went on, looks like it could be a real strength for the team moving forward. I can definitely see Max Fortier stepping it up on offense, though nobody can really replace what Ehlers brought to the team. Barring a big trade, goals might be a little hard to come by, and if Meier manages to make the NHL, we're screwed.

I'm assuming there's more trades to come, but does anyone know what draft picks we currently have for this year?

SnaGG

Dec 16, 2014
7th's Overall in the Draft , and 19th in the Import Draft are the two picks to look out for !

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Moncton gets swept by Quebec City in a 7-0 blowout tonight.

So we didn't beat them, but we may have broke the Wildcats.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
So, is it too early to start talking about next year? I like how our defense came together as the season went on, looks like it could be a real strength for the team moving forward. I can definitely see Max Fortier stepping it up on offense, though nobody can really replace what Ehlers brought to the team. Barring a big trade, goals might be a little hard to come by, and if Meier manages to make the NHL, we're screwed.
I share your same thoughts, both hopes and concerns. I am looking forward to seeing more of Sam Hunter and hopefully that big shot from that he has.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
does anyone know what draft picks we currently have for this year?

Breakdown of the Mooseheads 2015 Draft picks as of May 7th:

Round 1 7th Overall
Round 2 25th Overall
Round 2 30th Overall (Baie-Comeau)
Round 3 43rd Overall
Round 3 47th Overall (Chicoutimi - Sherbrooke)
Round 4 61st Overall
Round 6 94th Overall (Chicoutimi)
Round 6 97th Overall
Round 7 115th Overall
Round 7 120th Overall (Baie-Comeau)
Round 8 133rd Overall
Round 9 151st Overall
Round 10 169th Overall
Round 11 187th Overall
Round 12 205th Overall
Round 13 223rd Overall
Round 14 241st Overall

And here are the just released Q Draft Rankings from Central Scouting

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
And so it's official, Ehlers wins the scoring race despite only playing two rounds. Such an Ehlers thing to do.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Breakdown of the Mooseheads 2015 Draft picks as of May 7th:

Round 1 7th Overall
Round 2 25th Overall
Round 2 30th Overall (Baie-Comeau)
Round 3 43rd Overall
Round 3 47th Overall (Chicoutimi - Sherbrooke)
Round 4 61st Overall
Round 6 94th Overall (Chicoutimi)
Round 6 97th Overall
Round 7 115th Overall
Round 7 120th Overall (Baie-Comeau)
Round 8 133rd Overall
Round 9 151st Overall
Round 10 169th Overall
Round 11 187th Overall
Round 12 205th Overall
Round 13 223rd Overall
Round 14 241st Overall

And here are the just released Q Draft Rankings from Central Scouting
Going to need to draft a couple of good scoring forwards this year. Anyone know if Barrett Dachyshyn is going to play for Moose this year? He made decision to play midget last year, so I wonder if that is because he wanted to develop with playing time or if he's considering NCAA.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Going to need to draft a couple of good scoring forwards this year. Anyone know if Barrett Dachyshyn is going to play for Moose this year? He made decision to play midget last year, so I wonder if that is because he wanted to develop with playing time or if he's considering NCAA.

All indicators are that he is going south

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Great. Andrew Ryan could have helped us this year. Will moose get compensation pick if he doesn't report this year, or is that only for first round picks?

First off, I don't think Pork Chop has any valid insight into Dachyshn's decision. He didn't show up last year because he wasn't going to get much ice time, which, looking at Crossley, he and his family were probably correct about.

He'll almost certainly be at camp. And I would imagine he'll make the team.

Secondly, you forget that it wasn't Ryan for a 3rd... it was Ryan for a 3rd and a 5th, which turned out to be Morgan Nauss. Would you trade 5 years of Nauss for 1 of Ryan? I wouldn't.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
First off, I don't think Pork Chop has any valid insight into Dachyshn's decision. He didn't show up last year because he wasn't going to get much ice time, which, looking at Crossley, he and his family were probably correct about.

Secondly, you forget that it wasn't Ryan for a 3rd... it was Ryan for a 3rd and a 5th, which turned out to be Morgan Nauss. Would you trade 5 years of Nauss for 1 of Ryan? I wouldn't.

I'm not sure if it factored into his decision or not but Dachyshn is also a late born 98, which means he could still hypothetically have 2 seasons on the mooseheads before being drafted.

I think it was mutually beneficial that he played another year of Midget, improved his numbers and gained confidence , while also likely putting on some weight.

Here's hoping he reports he is an intriguing prospect for sure.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
I'm not sure if it factored into his decision or not but Dachyshn is also a late born 98, which means he could still hypothetically have 2 seasons on the mooseheads before being drafted.

I think it was mutually beneficial that he played another year of Midget, improved his numbers and gained confidence , while also likely putting on some weight.

Here's hoping he reports he is an intriguing prospect for sure.

Fair point. Not to mention at that age a few months is a big difference. Look at Timo Meier last year. He's 9 months younger than Ehlers and it showed last season.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011

All I can tell you is what is being tossed around. Clearly I am not going to source anyone and it does not matter to me if he reports or not. Last I heard ( as in 1 week ago ) he was headed to the US. If that changes, so what, its the players' decision in the end.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS

True. Nauss would probably go late 2nd round or 3rd anyway if there were a re-draft.

I wonder about US D-man John Marino. Chances probably even slimmer he comes now that Moose are more into rebuild mode.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Arnaud Durandeau is the pick. Anyone have much information on him?

I just read about him in hockeyprospect.com's draft guide, I doubt they'd appreciate me posting a whole player profile, but just to paraphrase some of what they said -

Very dangerous player with the puck, great shot, skating is good but maybe not great. Needs work on play without the puck. Described as one of the most dangerous forwards in the draft.

One other pick that is interesting here is Ilya Putintsev. Can't find any info on the guy other than his stats, which are pretty damn impressive. 36 goals in 23 games playing for the Jr. Bruins(next highest scorer on his team had 20 goals). We traded up to get him, so obviously Russel and the boys see something they like here. Played for Russia internationally, but has played is the US long enough that he's not considered an import.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I just read about him in hockeyprospect.com's draft guide, I doubt they'd appreciate me posting a whole player profile, but just to paraphrase some of what they said -

Very dangerous player with the puck, great shot, skating is good but maybe not great. Needs work on play without the puck. Described as one of the most dangerous forwards in the draft.

One other pick that is interesting here is Ilya Putintsev. Can't find any info on the guy other than his stats, which are pretty damn impressive. 36 goals in 23 games playing for the Jr. Bruins(next highest scorer on his team had 20 goals). We traded up to get him, so obviously Russel and the boys see something they like here. Played for Russia internationally, but has played is the US long enough that he's not considered an import.

He also comes form an athletic family. His sister played in the French Open. He will be an interesting player to watch for sure. From what I hear he is a flashy offensive player which we will need with Ehlers not being here.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I live in Durandeau's area.

He's better then Veleno right now, but obviously next year there won't be a comparison.

Arnaud has good hands, he's a little lazy at times and can disappear but he's got the talent, I would agree his skating is ok, but man can he play when he's on. I like this pick a lot for the Moose, was hoping he would fall to SJ.

Apparently (from someone who knows them, not me) he's from a great family and is an overall great kid.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
I live in Durandeau's area.

He's better then Veleno right now, but obviously next year there won't be a comparison.

Arnaud has good hands, he's a little lazy at times and can disappear but he's got the talent, I would agree his skating is ok, but man can he play when he's on. I like this pick a lot for the Moose, was hoping he would fall to SJ.

Apparently (from someone who knows them, not me) he's from a great family and is an overall great kid.

He's better than him right now but won't be even close in just a year? Will see how they both develop I guess. The development for a player from 15 to 16 years old shouldn't be too much different from a player going from 16 to 17 years old. I haven't seen Arnaud play but his stats say he's somewhat of a late bloomer if he played in AA leagues prior to this season then put up a great year at MAAA. They'll both have great surroundings and hopefully Moose can preach work ethic on Durandeau. You don't see many players on this team getting away with being lazy.

If Veleno is truly a superstar and ends up in NHL at 18 then guys like Durandeau/Comtois/Morand could actually end up playing in Q a year longer than Veleno at the age of 19. If that's the case you could argue that they were better draft picks for this league but all of this remains to be seen.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Official word now that Falkenham's career with the Mooseheads is now over. Sad day.

Wow this is terrible news. One of the hardest working Mooseheads I've ever seen.

Leaves a huge leadership void on the team next year as well. And if I'm not mistaken, he was the last player left from the Memorial Cup team.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Wow this is terrible news. One of the hardest working Mooseheads I've ever seen.

Leaves a huge leadership void on the team next year as well. And if I'm not mistaken, he was the last player left from the Memorial Cup team.

I think the closest would be Sam Leblanc and i dont even think he played that year or was just a handful of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad