*OFFICIAL* Halifax Mooseheads 2013-2014 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
Golden Puck Awards

Zach Fucale takes home Paul Dumont Trophy for the QMJHL Personality of the Year.
Congrats to Nik Ehlers (QMJHL RDS Rookie of the Year) and Zach Fucale (Jacques Plante Trophy winner for Best GAA in QMJHL)
Ehlers picks up some more hardware as the Mike Bossy Trophy winner for Top Professional Prospect.

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
I could be wrong, but I dont think the Moose will sweep Gatineau. I think this will be an exciting series.

I also feel this way. I'm actually pretty nervous, Gatineau played well against us last year in the playoffs in the latter two games. They're a much better team this year. I'm thinking a Mooseheads win, but wouldn't be surprised if it was in six.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
(sidebar from Ehlers thread):

Why exactly? Since Jan 1 the Moose are 24-2-2, not including the playoff series which is the best in the Q since then followed by Rimouski (23-5-0) and Baie-Comeau (23-6-1). Our record against Charlottetown this year was 8-1, and we're 1-1 against Gatineau but blew them out near the end of the year. Could Gatineau take one against us? Maybe. Would I be surprised if the Moose sweep? Not at all. Plus we have Andrews and Hardie back in the lineup this series which is a major boost to the team.

Why Exactly? Glad you asked :naughty:

- First, Gatineau's playoff record is actually better than ours (29/7 vs our 28/8). They swept CB BADLY (7-2, 8-2, 7-2, 7-1). And CB finished the season only one spot below them (and, I might add, WAY above Charlottetown).
- Their home division is much tougher than ours: 4 of their 5 division opponents made the top 10 in the final standings. Only 1 of ours cracked the top 10.
- Drouin is the top playoff scorer so far with 13 pts, but the next two spots belong to Simon Tardif-Richard and Martin Reway with 12 and 11 pts respectively. Guess who they play for? Interestingly, Ehlers is right behind them with 10pts. And Gatineau's Rookie - Vaclav Karabacek - has 9 pts.
- Gatineau is 2/2 vs Drakkar. We are 1/1 (The Epic Lussier Shootout win).

Certainly the Moose are on a roll and were a much different team in Feb when we faced them than back in October but comparing wins does not tell the whole story.

Nice to see Hardie and Andrews back but we will be without Ashley.

Again, we could sweep, but no one should be surprised if this goes 5,6 even 7 games. I believe just about anything could happen.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
(sidebar from Ehlers thread):

Why Exactly? Glad you asked :naughty:

- First, Gatineau's playoff record is actually better than ours (29/7 vs our 28/8). They swept CB BADLY (7-2, 8-2, 7-2, 7-1). And CB finished the season only one spot below them (and, I might add, WAY above Charlottetown).
- Their home division is much tougher than ours: 4 of their 5 division opponents made the top 10 in the final standings. Only 1 of ours cracked the top 10.
- Drouin is the top playoff scorer so far with 13 pts, but the next two spots belong to Simon Tardif-Richard and Martin Reway with 12 and 11 pts respectively. Guess who they play for? Interestingly, Ehlers is right behind them with 10pts. And Gatineau's Rookie - Vaclav Karabacek - has 9 pts.
- Gatineau is 2/2 vs Drakkar. We are 1/1 (The Epic Lussier Shootout win).

Certainly the Moose are on a roll and were a much different team in Feb when we faced them than back in October but comparing wins does not tell the whole story.

Nice to see Hardie and Andrews back but we will be without Ashley.

Again, we could sweep, but no one should be surprised if this goes 5,6 even 7 games. I believe just about anything could happen.

Great analysis! I agree with Gatineau's scoring being potent, but I just don't see their skill matching Halifax's at all. The first game was fun to watch, hopefully the next ones follow suit.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
Game 1 was pretty good. Except i had a couple of young girls sitting right behind me who were screaming at the top of their lungs the whole game and it was getting annoying.

Discipline and special teams are going to be important in this series.

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
I'm pretty disappointed in Gatineau. So far they have only proved to be a one trick pony (Reway line) with bad discipline, subpar defense, and a shell shocked goaltender.

I often forget that Emile Poirer even plays on this team.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Moose PP is hot fire right now. Operating at 45%... some say that's not sustainable, but look at who we can throw out there... three most undisciplined teams in the Q are Charlottetown, Gatineau and the Drakkar, and our hopeful playoff route may see us play them all... not good for anyone playing the Moose.... fans talk about playing weak competition, but the Moose have controlled the play for 6 games in a row now... Not blowing Gatineau out by any means, but playing a tight defensive system and cashing in on the other teams mistakes... Ducharme has them buying in to his plan yet and again and it's gonna be tough for anyone to take 4 from Halifax.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
I'm pretty disappointed in Gatineau. So far they have only proved to be a one trick pony (Reway line) with bad discipline, subpar defense, and a shell shocked goaltender.

I often forget that Emile Poirer even plays on this team.

Agree on all points.

Great analysis! I agree with Gatineau's scoring being potent, but I just don't see their skill matching Halifax's at all. The first game was fun to watch, hopefully the next ones follow suit.

Thanks. I am willing to admit when I am wrong and this appears to be one of those times (happily :D ).

Gatineau looked scary in Period 1 of Game 1 but their disciplinary and defensive breakdowns combined with the Mooseheads strong D and frighteningly good (better than last year?!) powerplay has proved to be more than a match so far for Gatineau. We pretty much have dominated them for the most part.

On another note, I was a bit scared for Fucale Saturday night.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
Moose PP is hot fire right now. Operating at 45%... some say that's not sustainable, but look at who we can throw out there... three most undisciplined teams in the Q are Charlottetown, Gatineau and the Drakkar, and our hopeful playoff route may see us play them all... not good for anyone playing the Moose.... fans talk about playing weak competition, but the Moose have controlled the play for 6 games in a row now... Not blowing Gatineau out by any means, but playing a tight defensive system and cashing in on the other teams mistakes... Ducharme has them buying in to his plan yet and again and it's gonna be tough for anyone to take 4 from Halifax.

Ehlers and Gadoury lead playoffs PPG with 5 each. Man Gadoury has been a great mid-season acquisition. Anyone have any idea if we get to keep him for next year? He would be an overager.

Imagine if we play BC again for the finals! What a wild ride that would be. :D

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Ehlers and Gadoury lead playoffs PPG with 5 each. Man Gadoury has been a great mid-season acquisition. Anyone have any idea if we get to keep him for next year? He would be an overager.

Imagine if we play BC again for the finals! What a wild ride that would be. :D

When he joined the team I remember them saying he was going to be here for 1 1/2 years, so he's definitely returning as an overager. Which is extra good news since it means there's one less spot for Ciampini.

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
When he joined the team I remember them saying he was going to be here for 1 1/2 years, so he's definitely returning as an overager. Which is extra good news since it means there's one less spot for Ciampini.

Hmmm good topic here:

Eligible Overagers for 2014-15 season:

- Ryan
- Gadoury
- Ciampini
- Lussier
- Weegar
- Hardie
- Darveau

Now, pick 3 :(

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Hmmm good topic here:

- Ryan
- Gadoury
- Ciampini
- Lussier
- Weegar
- Hardie
- Darveau

Gadoury & Ryan for sure imo. Last spot probably between Hardie & Lussier. Weegar will probably go Pro. Trade Ciampini. Fucale's last year so they may want to have a younger goalie as backup to gain experience for the future.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Gadoury & Ryan for sure imo. Last spot probably between Hardie & Lussier. Weegar will probably go Pro. Trade Ciampini. Fucale's last year so they may want to have a younger goalie as backup to gain experience for the future.

I agree with this thinking.

Couple notes:
* given Weegar's age and when he was drafted, the Panthers don't have to sign him to keep him in junior. This is different from Abeltshauser last year.
* I could see Ryan and/or Ciampini being trade targets. I think part of it depends on what the team wants to do next year, but could see Ryan fetching more in a trade.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Hmmm good topic here:

- Ryan
- Gadoury
- Ciampini
- Lussier
- Weegar
- Hardie
- Darveau

gonna go on a limb here, subtract Darveau...

IMO, you keep Gadoury and Hardie for sure. If San Antonio (Panthers) keep Weegar than you keep Ryan as the third 20, if not then trade Ryan and Lussier for some picks... Lussier wouldn't be a bad twenty, but I have a feeling this team will only re-tool, not rebuild, so he may have to be cut or traded.

Not a bad problem to have... 4 elite overagers and 2 decent regulars who can play in this league. We'll make the right decision I trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad