*OFFICIAL* Halifax Mooseheads 2013-2014 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
As this will be an evolving process throughout the summer, I figured I would create a depth chart reflecting what we know. The only assumptions will be that Andrews (NHL contract or not) will be in the AHL as a 20. And considering our 2 high euro picks, it's safe to assume Detroit will be putting Frk in Grand Rapids. I'll include MacKinnon and Drouin for now until otherwise proven.

Ryan - Drouin - Ashley
Meier - Andrews - Ehlers
C.Moynihan - D.Moynihan - Ciampini
Watt- Shewfelt - Leblanc
Lindsay
Alcalde

Duke - Weegar
Murphy - Hardie
Lovell - Jacques
Lussier

Fucale
Darveau

Falkenham - Out for season
Lewis - Cut

I'll update the chart as information get's rumoured, factual reports come out.

Last edited:

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Eichel ?? Rights relinquished??
Yes, it just happened:
CH_WillyPalov The Mooseheads have forfeited Jack Eichel's rights, will receive a second-round pick this year as compensation.
http://twitter.com/CH_WillyPalov/status/341563283767169024

Also OP, assuming Andrews will be in the AHL is not a safe assumption to make.
He was not signed by 6/1 and Nashville has lost his rights.
He'll enter the draft again and even if he's picked up, a team could send him back to the Q and still own his rights.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Yes, it just happened:

http://twitter.com/CH_WillyPalov/status/341563283767169024

Also OP, assuming Andrews will be in the AHL is not a safe assumption to make.
He was not signed by 6/1 and Nashville has lost his rights.
He'll enter the draft again and even if he's picked up, a team could send him back to the Q and still own his rights.

I guess I always assumed he'd be in the AHL by 20 based on his game despite his inability to finish. (pro style 2 way game) But your right, it shouldn't be an assumption. I'll put him on the bottom of the depth chart with and put an * next to your 4 20's until we know for sure.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
I went to a game in moncton toward the end of the season and they had Sam Leblanc in the lineup

I think he's a pretty good bet to make the team. Didn't look out of place. Not asking he be added to the depth chart but just thoght I'd mention.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
They did get a compensatory 2nd rd pick though. In the end only dropped a round

Didn't pay off but not a bad risk to take with a late 1st. By the sound of it he was gonna report until something changed recently.

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
I think the 20's at this point should be Ashley, Andrews, and Lewis. We'll obviously be moving from a very talented skilled set team to a team that wins on grit and hard work.

Not that the Moose weren't a hardworking team last season by any means.

I daresay MacKinnon is NHL bound and Drouin with an outside chance. However, I am hopeful that both end up back in the Q so we can continue to be spoiled.

It also really sucks about Eichel. I honestly thought he'd end up a Moosehead next season.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
If a player's rights are " relinquished" or "forfeited" , can another team pursue him ? Is he considered a free agent ? Some clarity would be greatly appreciated..

He goes back into the draft.

With him not showing up, it does us good to get an additional second rounder, considering we only had 2 picks in the first five rounds to start with. Maybe we'll be able to package it with something to move into the 1st round.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
He goes back into the draft.

With him not showing up, it does us good to get an additional second rounder, considering we only had 2 picks in the first five rounds to start with. Maybe we'll be able to package it with something to move into the 1st round.

So technically Halifax could take him with a late round pick ? It'd be smart on their part, get an asset and re-draft him.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
I'm sure the league would be impressed lol. They probably never even discussed that possibility :laugh:

I think if the Mooseheads somehow successfully relinquish Eichel's rights, receive a 2nd round pick as compensation, then re-aquire Eichel's rights for cheaper than that 2nd rounder... well it would be some sort of farce. It would be a hilarious farce, but still a farce.

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
Pretty much this. Looks like it was always a longshot gamble. Not a fan of the league's new compensation donations... Don't know why they'd open up that avenue :shakehead

in terms of players not reporting, the league has always done the compensation pick. Val d'or did it a few years ago if i'm not mistaken with Louis Leblanc. It's not that bad a plan if you are not relying on that pick to be in your line up right away.
Eichel would have been a huge addition, but, realistically they lose nothing other than a few spots in the draft. They picked him 15th if i remember correctly and this year, they will get the 19th overall in compensation for it.

So overall, it's not a bad gamble.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I daresay MacKinnon is NHL bound and Drouin with an outside chance. However, I am hopeful that both end up back in the Q so we can continue to be spoiled.
After watching their performances at the Mem Cup, I'd say MacKinnon is 90%+ gone and Drouin is 60%+ gone. There's just nothing left for either to achieve in major junior. I've often thought that Drouin's game wouldn't translate to the NHL as well as Mac's, but I think I have to take that back after seeing just how good his passing & playmaking was at the tournament. He's as ready for the next step as Mac is.

I do hope they can both get loaned to Team Canada for the world juniors in December though!

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
i would be shocked if both are not in the NHL. They will both be 950k per year players (or whatever the rookie max. salary is), and they can do just as well as a veteran 3rd/4th line player who would be making probably more salary.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
in terms of players not reporting, the league has always done the compensation pick. Val d'or did it a few years ago if i'm not mistaken with Louis Leblanc. It's not that bad a plan if you are not relying on that pick to be in your line up right away.
Eichel would have been a huge addition, but, realistically they lose nothing other than a few spots in the draft. They picked him 15th if i remember correctly and this year, they will get the 19th overall in compensation for it.

So overall, it's not a bad gamble.

Compensation pick has already been awarded, #34 overall (end of round 2)

If I understand the rules correctly had they forfeited the pick before September 15th of the year they drafted him (2012) they would have received the 16th overall pick as compensation (same pick, one pick after.) .. tho I wonder if it would have been the 17th pick because Val'Dor has a compensation pick at like 10 or 11

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
Compensation pick has already been awarded, #34 overall (end of round 2)

If I understand the rules correctly had they forfeited the pick before September 15th of the year they drafted him (2012) they would have received the 16th overall pick as compensation (same pick, one pick after.) .. tho I wonder if it would have been the 17th pick because Val'Dor has a compensation pick at like 10 or 11

sorry, my mistake - my thought remains the same. it's not a bad gamble.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
So as of now, if Duke is out and Andrews is our 3rd 20, who's our 6th D-Man?

Bailey was fine as a 7th/8th depth. Any chance JP Provancher (sp) comes in and takes the 6/7 spot? Anyone see him play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad