TSN: Official Free Agency Thread (Canucks targeting Lucic, Eriksson; "All In" on Lucic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
works for me. cheap 1 yr deal and hopefully trade him at the deadline.

anything that doesn't handicap us in the future is okay with me. Plus the added bonus of Anaheim/Bieksa interactions would make it worth it.

If it's a cheap one year deal sure, but with Benning in charge I can never safely assume that.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The fact that he lacks the competency to execute his extremely misguided plans is troubling and deserving of criticism imo

He sat down with the guy. GM's and players will have a sit down hundreds of times this week. I am willing to criticize Benning for the moves he makes that I don't like. If he signed Lucic for what would likely be a big, long contract, I would have been critical. I think it is pretty dumb to criticize someone for something you thought he might have done.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Vern Fiddler, future Canuck.

If Fiddler signs here, I'll officially join the Anti-Benning team on here lead by MS, Y2KCanuck, and Nuckles. :shakehead

But in all seriousness though, just sign a low key guy like Brian Campbell. Even at his age, Campbell will still be a good PMD for two seasons. He'll add depth to our defense, and will help our PP. After two years, he can bugger off after Juolevi will be closer to being ready.

Up front - Bring in Eric Staal on a 2 year as well (i.e. 2nd line C insurance incase Horvat or Sutter get injured). You can play Staal on LW as well (we're weak on LW).

Guys like Brouwer, Lucic, Eriksson, etc., etc. will only sign here long term at a heavy cap hit........and could potentially hurt our ability to re-up our RFA's.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
If it's a cheap one year deal sure, but with Benning in charge I can never safely assume that.

I don't see how they could commit to more than a year for a 36 year old. How many 3rd/4th line UFA's that age get multi year contracts? Even Jason Chimera will be fortunate to get a multi year deal and he's coming off a 40 point season.

DanCloutiersFiveHole

Sep 19, 2014
Vancouver
The fact that he lacks the competency to execute his extremely misguided plans is troubling and deserving of criticism imo
I think that's not entirely fair. If he sticks to his guns and doesn't waver during negotiations, and doesn't end up getting Lucic, then that's showing improvement in restraint. On the other hand, if he throws money at him and Lucic simply chooses the other equally big bag of money then he should be criticized, but of course we won't know what Jim's offer was if he fails to land him.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Why is everyone hating on Vern Fiddler? Nothing wrong with bottom 6 depth on what would be a short, cheap deal.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Told you guys:)

I can say big disappointment in the Canucks Front office now

I hope so.

Maybe these idiots will start to realize the **** team they have assembled and how unattractive it is to others even when they are a local kid.

My worry is they will now blow their wad on average players to compensate.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Why is everyone hating on Vern Fiddler? Nothing wrong with bottom 6 depth on what would be a short, cheap deal.

We already have Alex Burrows who provides a similar role. Fiddler would be redundant, or, if Burrows ends up getting bought out, would most likely be eating up the same/more cap space (this is our idiot GM we are talking about, after all.)

Fiddler is also older than Burrows so the chances of him breaking down and being sent to the glue factory are even higher.

It is a needless move that doesn't really address any of the issues the team needs right now. If the Canucks were anywhere near contending Fiddler might be worth picking up if the price is right, but the fact that our idiot GM is seriously considering picking him up shows how tonedeaf and ignorant he is to the realities of the Canucks.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Get Troy Brouwer Jim, not Lucic.

It's the same thing with Brouwer however. He'd likely only sign with the Canucks for long term and lots of money (relatively speaking).

Again - if the goal is to cater to the Sedin core, then you do it........amongst other things (i.e. trading our 2017 1st along with Burrows, Higgins, etc to clear up MASSIVE cap space so that you can sign more UFA's).

However - if the goal is to cater to the next core, you say no to Brouwer and other high end UFA's. You need the cap space to re-up future RFA's.

#BrianCampbell #EricStaal #2YearDeals

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
If they sign fiddler I can't imagine it's for much money and it'll be short term, it's free depth if the contract isn't absurd

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Cause we have all the bottom 6 depth we need right now and signing another one will likely result in a younger player like Gaunce being given less of a chance at a roster spot. Between Granlund, Sutter, and hopefully Gaunce we have no need of whatever the hell it is that Benning thinks Fiddler brings.

Jarko2004

Sep 15, 2004
Vancouver Island
Ah it's comforting to know the Oilers are still the Oilers despite all the management changes.

Lucic for 6 years, hilarious. Wonder who their coach will be in 6 years.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Somebody say Campbell (and Vanek)?

brian-campbell-thomas-vanek-daniel-briere-and-ryan-miller-of-the-picture-id73015335

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Isn't Campbell going back to the Hawks the worst kept secret in the league at this point? Could be wrong but I thought that was pretty much confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad