TSN: Official Free Agency Thread (Canucks targeting Lucic, Eriksson; "All In" on Lucic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Brills*

A bounce in the game and falling ass backwards into two superstar forwards is not the same ball park or scale of luck.

Getting to the finals is hard earned no matter your bounces.

didn't the canucks finish 3rd last for henrik?

EVERY cup winning team has falled ass backwards into a star.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Of course they are intentionally missing the point. Why argue the point when you can take shots at Benning or myself?

Anyhow I respect the two cups, much like I respect Colorado's cups even though I despised that team as well.

This is rich.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
Pretty sure Benning is going to sign Lucic to a ridiculous 7/49 contract...which will be a huge anchor on our payroll when our young guys' entry level deals are up in a few years.
And they won't be able to move Lucic, because, he won't be worth $7 million/yr by then...not that he is worth it now.

Also worth mentioning this will be within a time frame where the Canucks are potentially hooped with a massive cap recapture penalty from Luongo retiring.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He's very competitive, no question about that, but the accountability in his game is just pathetic. Just a dumb, selfish player. Major talent though. And an off-ice disaster.

It's interesting watching the Oilers and their fans how badly they are struggling at getting any competent defensemen, once again. Maybe they're finally realizing that RNH and Eberle and their bad contracts don't have very much value around the league?

Yep. Competitive until things start to go solidly downhill and then he is one of the first quit and/or get selfish. Happened again last year and has happened under numerous coaches. I'm not shocked they may look to move him at all and I think they may have been looking that way even if the other two guys had value.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's interesting watching the Oilers and their fans how badly they are struggling at getting any competent defensemen, once again. Maybe they're finally realizing that RNH and Eberle and their bad contracts don't have very much value around the league?

Yup.

Skipping a bridge deal on RNH and giving him that huge contract was a massive mistake. Isn't worth much at all as a result - as I've said before a few times, I'm not sure if I'd take him for free on waivers right now. He's an OK #2 center, but not at that price. Similar story with Eberle.

How he got a long-term $6 million deal after a year where he scored 4 goals will forever be a complete mystery. Total idiocy.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Yup.

Skipping a bridge deal on RNH and giving him that huge contract was a massive mistake. Isn't worth much at all as a result - as I've said before a few times, I'm not sure if I'd take him for free on waivers right now. He's an OK #2 center, but not at that price. Similar story with Eberle.

How he got a long-term $6 million deal after a year where he scored 4 goals will forever be a complete mystery. Total idiocy.

They will have even more trouble when some more of their multiple top players get to RFA...

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Yup.

Thats nuts. You wouldnt take nuge or eberle on waivers???

Mad Brills*

Good, but hopefully JB doesn't overpay eriksson/brouwer/fiddler/helm

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

Hyperbole. RNH at 6M is a no brainer for a GM that probably offered Lucic 7M with term.

Doesn't change the fact that a lot of EDM pieces are damaged goods around the league. RNH/Eberle is like JBouw/Jokinen back in Florida

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I don't really care who we sign too much as long as it is 3 years or less. Chances of that happening with Lucic are slim to none, and I am happy about that. The reason I don't want him in Vancouver is personal, not that I don't think he isn't a good hockey player (for now).

But the top FA guys usually get long term deals so I hope we don't have much of a chance on them. Wouldn't make much sense for any of them to sign here short term. Some of the lesser guys are a different story. I still wouldn't mind Eriksson on a shorter deal, we've seen what talented aging forwards can do to help younger players here before; Demitra, Sundin, Vrbata to a lesser extent.

Brouwer probably looking for a payday. If he wants 4+ years for 4+ mil he can get that elsewhere hopefully. I don't think Ladd wants to come here anyways. I wouldn't mind one or two of the remaining guys to fill out the team/fight for spots in camp/make the young guys earn their spots. I don't get the hystery over signing a guy like Fiddler. Bottom 6 player who isn't gonna sign for big money. Solid vet to again help bring along some of the younger guys, moreso with the defensive side of the game.

Also surprised at the number of younger forwards who didn't get qualified. Probably have room for one of them if they want to come here, maybe not two.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
The thought of Edmonton signing Lucic is nice but it might lead Benning into signing a different/worse player to an equally bad contract to make up for it.

Gotta assume ownership wants at least one recognizable UFA for the casual fans to be "excited" about.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
The thought of Edmonton signing Lucic is nice but it might lead Benning into signing a different/worse player to an equally bad contract to make up for it.

Gotta assume ownership wants at least one recognizable UFA for the casual fans to be "excited" about.

I'm not happy they signed Lucic. He's the piece they needed to help stop the run on their skilled players. If we had Lucic/Tryamkin/Gudbranson, it would be a lot harder for them skating into our zone.

Lucic to a Western term not in our division would have been better.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006

Good, but hopefully JB doesn't overpay eriksson/brouwer/fiddler/helm

Great news! I'm glad this team won't be signing anchors when it should be focusing on rebuilding. Hoping that Benning's inability to sign any targets this summer leads to an exit too.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Not as bad a contract that Lucic will get but a worse player - Hartnell. It'll be bad because I'd worry that Benning will actually give up tangible assets for that cap dump crap player.

Mad Brills*

Great news! I'm glad this team won't be signing anchors when it should be focusing on rebuilding. Hoping that Benning's inability to sign any targets this summer leads to an exit too.

Best case I hope it's only helm/brouwer (not terrible contract) he gets.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

If RNH was a UFA tomorrow, would I give him 4 years/$24 million to be a kinda mediocre #2 center? Absolutely no way. Then why would I trade significant assets for him?

He's a decent player and at $3-4 million, sure I'd trade something significant for him. At $6 million? Nope.

I'm saying *for sure* I wouldn't take him for free (it would depend on team/situation etc.) but it sure as hell wouldn't be a slam-dunk.

I had to look up his stats...you know he has never had over 56 points?

Yup.

RNH has flatlined for 5 years and is not really any better than he was at age 18. He's a soft-ish 50-point #2 center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad