Speculation: Official Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
They have Necas who is considered one of the top3 NHL-affiliated center prospects yet not in the NHL and who'll certainly make the jump next year. I don't really see them adding two inexperienced centers into the lineup.
yet another guy we should've picked. but dale gonna dale.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
yet another guy we should've picked. but dale gonna dale.

Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
Marchessault - Barzal - Trocheck
Smith - Borgstrom - Vilardi/Necas
DeBrincat - McCann - Sceviour

Yandle - Ekblad
Matheson - xxxx
xxxx - Weegar

Luongo
Demko

Am I missing anybody?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakeybonz

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
Marchessault - Barzal - Trocheck
Smith - Borgstrom - Vilardi/Necas
DeBrincat - McCann - Sceviour

Yandle - Ekblad
Matheson - xxxx
xxxx - Weegar

Luongo
Demko

Am I missing anybody?
I hate this game. Every team can go back and play this game. You don't think at least 15 teams from the 2016 draft wish they could go back and pick borgstrom? There are good decisions and bad decisions made every draft. Now if there were stories out where the Panthers were between drafting Crouse and Barzal and chose Crouse, go on ahead and lament it. But the reality is that most people weren't clamoring for the Panthers to take many of the guys on the list of misses. I also know that absolutely nobody wanted the Panthers to take Borgstrom before the pick was made. You have to take the good with the bad and the Panthers have been much better at drafting over the past 3 seasons then they were in the past. Yes they can still do better, but we are a far cry from the Scott Luce days.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I hate this game. Every team can go back and play this game. You don't think at least 15 teams from the 2016 draft wish they could go back and pick borgstrom? There are good decisions and bad decisions made every draft. Now if there were stories out where the Panthers were between drafting Crouse and Barzal and chose Crouse, go on ahead and lament it. But the reality is that most people weren't clamoring for the Panthers to take many of the guys on the list of misses. I also know that absolutely nobody wanted the Panthers to take Borgstrom before the pick was made. You have to take the good with the bad and the Panthers have been much better at drafting over the past 3 seasons then they were in the past. Yes they can still do better, but we are a far cry from the Scott Luce days.

I agree that complaining in hindsight is dumb, but this is more "I told you so." I'm complaining because I personally was upset by four picks in particular...

1) Thatcher Demko...Top goalie in the 2014 draft with talent pegged for the middle of the 1st Round. We needed a goalie in the system badly, and he had slid into the second round. We take him Jayce Hawryluk at 32OA to add to our abundant group of smallish, aggressive forwards and Canucks scoop Demko up 4 picks later.

2) Mat Barzal...My first choice for the 11OA pick in 2015 was Rantanen, but Barzal was my second. I had no interest in Crouse. Between Hayes, Thornton, Gudbranson, Mitchell, and Petrovic we had enough thuggish size, and with Bjugstad and Barkov also large and with questionable skating, we needed to add speed and puck skills into the lineup. At this point most thought Trocheck would be a winger, we still had Grimaldi in the mix, and Bjugstad wasn't guaranteed to stay a Center. I rolled my eyes at the pick, but I am obviously more upset now.

3) Alex DeBrincat...I couldn't believe it when I checked the 2nd Round picks the day after that Debrincat had slipped in the mid-second round and that we had an opportunity to take him. We chose what was basically a more Tallon version of Debrincat in the slightly bigger, more heavy shooting Mascherin while Chicago scooped up Alex with the next pick.

4) Owen Tippett...This was particularly frustrating. Vilardi was clearly the best player available. And we took a boom-bust one dimensional prospect whose ceiling wasn't even that high instead of the best player available who could play the same RW position and whose cycle style and defensive game would be a perfect compliment to the system that Barkov and Huberdeau while taking some PKing pressure of Barkov. And once again, the very next team takes advantage of us and takes the player with the very next pick.

That's why I'm calling out these picks, plus the Smith and Marchessault stuff.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I agree that complaining in hindsight is dumb, but this is more "I told you so." I'm complaining because I personally was upset by four picks in particular...

1) Thatcher Demko...Top goalie in the 2014 draft with talent pegged for the middle of the 1st Round. We needed a goalie in the system badly, and he had slid into the second round. We take him Jayce Hawryluk at 32OA to add to our abundant group of smallish, aggressive forwards and Canucks scoop Demko up 4 picks later.

2) Mat Barzal...My first choice for the 11OA pick in 2015 was Rantanen, but Barzal was my second. I had no interest in Crouse. Between Hayes, Thornton, Gudbranson, Mitchell, and Petrovic we had enough thuggish size, and with Bjugstad and Barkov also large and with questionable skating, we needed to add speed and puck skills into the lineup. At this point most thought Trocheck would be a winger, we still had Grimaldi in the mix, and Bjugstad wasn't guaranteed to stay a Center. I rolled my eyes at the pick, but I am obviously more upset now.

3) Alex DeBrincat...I couldn't believe it when I checked the 2nd Round picks the day after that Debrincat had slipped in the mid-second round and that we had an opportunity to take him. We chose what was basically a more Tallon version of Debrincat in the slightly bigger, more heavy shooting Mascherin while Chicago scooped up Alex with the next pick.

4) Owen Tippett...This was particularly frustrating. Vilardi was clearly the best player available. And we took a boom-bust one dimensional prospect whose ceiling wasn't even that high instead of the best player available who could play the same RW position and whose cycle style and defensive game would be a perfect compliment to the system that Barkov and Huberdeau while taking some PKing pressure of Barkov. And once again, the very next team takes advantage of us and takes the player with the very next pick.

That's why I'm calling out these picks, plus the Smith and Marchessault stuff.

I wanted Barzal ahead of Rantanen. But I remember being really disappointed not picking Barzal and Vilardi. Time will tell if we made the right pick with Tippett.

Reactions: kerrabria

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The NHL has become faster and we had like ten centers and zero goal scorers it mad zero sense to take Villardi with our pick. We don't even know if Villardi is good and Tippett is bad yet lol. Cmon.

A fair bit of people are sleeping on Tippett and his "boom or bust" label.
His speed and skating will back off defenders and his shot is clearly his best tool. I liked the pick then and haven't changed my mind since.
30 goals seasons ahead for this guy, he shoots a lot, the PP could use him.

As you said, we needed some goal scorers and depth on the RW so it was a logical pick.

He has NHL size, the shot and speed to carry the puck, just needs to have more poise with the puck and keep backchecking when needed. I see him on the top line within 2 years, beside Barkov who is still a pass first guy at heart. Tippett replaces Bjugstad, who I don't see being re-signed, more likely traded or exposed in expansion draft.

Reactions: IceManCat

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The NHL has become faster and we had like ten centers and zero goal scorers it mad zero sense to take Villardi with our pick. We don't even know if Villardi is good and Tippett is bad yet lol. Cmon.

Well, he was arguably the best player available, so hardly zero sense! But as I said, time will tell with this one.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
A fair bit of people are sleeping on Tippett and his "boom or bust" label.
His speed and skating will back off defenders and his shot is clearly his best tool. I liked the pick then and haven't changed my mind since.
30 goals seasons ahead for this guy, he shoots a lot, the PP could use him.

As you said, we needed some goal scorers and depth on the RW so it was a logical pick.

He has NHL size, the shot and speed to carry the puck, just needs to have more poise with the puck and keep backchecking when needed. I see him on the top line within 2 years, beside Barkov who is still a pass first guy at heart. Tippett replaces Bjugstad, who I don't see being re-signed, more likely traded or exposed in expansion draft.

Don't you think this about all our forward prospects. ;)

We're going to be scoring 7 goals per game if all your predictions come true! ;)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Don't you think this about all our forward prospects. ;)

We're going to be scoring 7 goals per game if all your predictions come true! ;)

I think Tippett has the most potential to score 30 between him, Borgstrom and Heponiemi. His shot is deadly, probably would become the best shot on the team.
Scoring around the league has gone up so maybe 6 per game for us. ;)

Watched him live a couple times in Mississauga and it's even more impressive in person.
I still think Ekblad hits 20 goals once or even twice before he turns 27.

I see Tippett, Trocheck and hopefully a re-signed Dadonov as our 30 goal guys going forward. Barkov may hit it a couple times but we all know he's a passer/playmaker along with Huberdeau. ;)

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Well, he was arguably the best player available, so hardly zero sense! But as I said, time will tell with this one.

We don't know if he was BPA he hasn't even played yet. Liljegren, Tippett, Tolvanen, Necas, Vesalainen, Yamamoto have all looked as impressive if not more so than he has. We can't hate on Ekblad for his foot speed than turn around and crave a slow footed center who has yet to play a game or prove a thing.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
We don't know if he was BPA he hasn't even played yet. Liljegren, Tippett, Tolvanen, Necas, Vesalainen, Yamamoto have all looked as impressive if not more so than he has. We can't hate on Ekblad for his foot speed than turn around and crave a slow footed center who has yet to play a game or prove a thing.

At the time of draft, he was regarded as the BPA when we picked.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Interesting article about a possible McCann trade to the Leafs with both JVR and Bozak headed to UFA. Dubas apparently luvs McCann and now that he is the GM this author speculates some kind of deal could get done. Connor Brown seems to be the most talked about return but other names such as undrafted Dman Andreas Borgman and gritty tenacious scorer Carl Grundstrom come to mind. Also, mentioned is Matt Martin as a throw in.

My eyes would be on 2nd round pick Grundstrom. He is a 20 yr old LW with a thick body (6'/196 lb) and can score as evidenced last season with Frolunda in the SHL (17G/7A) 24 pts in 35 games.

Maple Leafs trade target: Jared McCann

Reactions: jvr32

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Interesting article about a possible McCann trade to the Leafs with both JVR and Bozak headed to UFA. Dubas apparently luvs McCann and now that he is the GM this author speculates some kind of deal could get done. Connor Brown seems to be the most talked about return but other names such as undrafted Dman Andreas Borgman and gritty tenacious scorer Carl Grundstrom come to mind. Also, mentioned is Matt Martin as a throw in.

My eyes would be on 2nd round pick Grundstrom. He is a 20 yr old LW with a thick body (6'/196 lb) and can score as evidenced last season with Frolunda in the SHL (17G/7A) 24 pts in 35 games.

Maple Leafs trade target: Jared McCann

Do we need anymore LWs like Grundstrom as much as he sounds like a Mamin already? Mcginn, Vatrano, Hunt, Lammikko, Haley. I'd prefer to upgrade 4C or a top 6 RW.

I like Brown or Kapanen for the RW spot. We already have a log jam on forward as it is, unless we're sending Malgin down and shipping out Haley or Mackenzie, I don't see the point unless we add to McCann and make it a clear upgrade?

We need a top 6 RW or a 2nd pairing RD IMO :).

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
in before the Kapanen for McCann trade. :P
I like Kapanen and I think they would deal him rather than Grundstrom because McCann's speed/shot are a big part of today's game. Kapanen has great hands and a shot but he's a bit soft. The SC winner (which from what I've seen) could very well be the Caps and their ground/pound along with elite talent will likely be this years new paradigm that GM's will copy. The league seems adamant about keeping gray area charging/blind side hits with intent to injure as part of the game. Therefore by default Grundstrom is an ideal candidate to fill in for the soon to be ex Leaf...Komarov.....plus he can actually play top 6 and put up numbers in the 3rd best league....the SHL as a 20 yr old. I see Babcock fighting to keep him as a Leaf. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Do we need anymore LWs like Grundstrom as much as he sounds like a Mamin already? Mcginn, Vatrano, Hunt, Lammikko, Haley. I'd prefer to upgrade 4C or a top 6 RW.

I like Brown or Kapanen for the RW spot. We already have a log jam on forward as it is, unless we're sending Malgin down and shipping out Haley or Mackenzie, I don't see the point unless we add to McCann and make it a clear upgrade?

We need a top 6 RW or a 2nd pairing RD IMO :).
Just depends on how you want to fill out your lineup if physicality/grit along with scoring ability are part of the equation. Mamin is comfortable at 3RW and McGinn is history at some pt. Vatrano is pure offense and Hunt plays a complete game but is an unproven scorer at the NHL level. I don't have a good feeling with Lammikko's upside and Haley is here as long as Mr. Boo is.

I honestly don't see them moving Grundstrom ahead of Kapanen or Brown. I could see a deal with Kapanen or Brown/Borgman/Martin for McCann/Pysyk/McCoshen. :)

I

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Just depends on how you want to fill out your lineup if physicality/grit along with scoring ability are part of the equation. Mamin is comfortable at 3RW and McGinn is history at some pt. Vatrano is pure offense and Hunt plays a complete game but is an unproven scorer at the NHL level. I don't have a good feeling with Lammikko's upside and Haley is here as long as Mr. Boo is.

I honestly don't see them moving Grundstrom ahead of Kapanen or Brown. I could see a deal with Kapanen or Brown/Borgman/Martin for McCann/Pysyk/McCoshen. :)

I

What lineup do you have as is? And then with a Kapanen or Brown?
Watched a lot of Borgman, he is an upgrade over McCoshen as #3LD.
I'd stay away from Martin, Haley is better.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
What lineup do you have as is? And then with a Kapanen or Brown?
Watched a lot of Borgman, he is an upgrade over McCoshen as #3LD.
I'd stay away from Martin, Haley is better.
No trades:
Dads/Barkov/Bjugstad
Huby/Tro/Malgin
Vatrano/McCann/Mamin
Haley/Greco/Mac/Sceviour

trade with Toronto
Dads/Barkov/Bjugstad
Huby/Tro/Malgin
Vatrano/Sceviour/Mamin
Haley/Greco/Mac/Brown/Kapanen

Brown or Kapanen would get an opportunity to move into top 6 if or when Bjugstad/Malgin falter. Borgstrom and Tippett need to dominate the AHL before getting opportunity in NHL. If an offer came thru for Bjugstad or Malgin and it was a good return you do it and move Brown or Kapanen to top six before the start of the season. My defensive pairings would be:

Ek/Yandle
Weegar/Matheson
Borgman/Petro :)

Last edited:

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
No trades:
Dads/Barkov/Bjugstad
Huby/Tro/Malgin
Vatrano/McCann/Mamin
Haley/Greco/Mac/Sceviour

trade with Toronto
Dads/Barkov/Bjugstad
Huby/Tro/Malgin
Vatrano/Sceviour/Mamin

Brown or Kapanen would get an opportunity to move into top 6 if or when Bjugstad/Malgin falter. Borgstrom and Tippett need to dominate the AHL before getting opportunity in NHL. If an offer came thru for Bjugstad or Malgin and it was a good return you do it and move Brown or Kapanen to top six before the start of the season. My defensive pairings would be:

Ek/Yandle
Weegar/Matheson
man those are some depressing lineups. major trade needed since no major signing is likely to come.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
man those are some depressing lineups. major trade needed since no major signing is likely to come.
It's just a matter of whether you think we have good trade chips. As you know, I don't unless you want to move Huby and or Ekblad. Neither of them IMO would get you what you want unless you want to throw in Borgstrom. To me it's a non starter as teams are not looking to move talent for talent but are looking to steal someone from you because of Cap or other issues or peddle some over the hill former star.

I don't see any worthwhile UFA coming here and IMO our prospects need to prove themselves in the AHL and then the NHL before they can attract any future trades and even those will likely be one sided. This is going to be a year where our depth is going to have to take it to the next level to get better and we are going to need Lu in form all year in order to break the bubble and get in the PO's. :(

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No trades:
Dads/Barkov/Bjugstad
Huby/Tro/Malgin
Vatrano/McCann/Mamin
Haley/Greco/Mac/Sceviour

trade with Toronto
Dads/Barkov/Bjugstad
Huby/Tro/Malgin
Vatrano/Sceviour/Mamin

Ek/Yandle
Weegar/Matheson

I think Malgin is the odd man out if Kapanen or Brown come over. Pysyk + Mascherin + Malgin for Brown/Kapanen + 2018 3rd + Borgman could have worked. I think Pysyk would crumble under the TOR microscope and Kapanen or Brown fit the build for us and strengthens the RW depth chart without hurting the wallet or cap.
Hurts to lose Malgin but I don't see Bjugstad or Sceviour leaving and Tippett is casting a shadow over the Swiss man.

This trade gets back to my point, they are not huge upgrades and Tallon may just roll the dice and go with familiarity and youth with the forwards we already have.
If he believes in Weegar and McCoshen enough, Pysyk could be shopped with our 2nd for another mid 1st?
We have options which is good, don't think to this extent ever before. Armchair GM is actually fun and interesting this year. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I think Malgin is the odd man out if Kapanen or Brown come over. Pysyk + Mascherin + Malgin for Brown/Kapanen + 2018 3rd + Borgman could have worked. I think Pysyk would crumble under the TOR microscope and Kapanen or Brown fit the build for us and strengthens the RW depth chart without hurting the wallet or cap.
Hurts to lose Malgin but I don't see Bjugstad or Sceviour leaving and Tippett is casting a shadow over the Swiss man.

This trade gets back to my point, they are not huge upgrades and Tallon may just roll the dice and go with familiarity and youth with the forwards we already have.
If he believes in Weegar and McCoshen enough, Pysyk could be shopped with our 2nd for another mid 1st?
We have options which is good, don't think to this extent ever before. Armchair GM is actually fun and interesting this year. :)
The more I think about it the more I see Brown being offered in lieu of Kapanen. The guy does too many things well to let him go.

If Dubas is so enamored with McCann then he's gonna have to be the main chip. It will be interesting to see what happens with Bozak after a guy like Hazal (who has no durability gets 3 yrs at $4.7M). Bozak will likely get a 3 or 4 year offer of at least $5M from someone but could elect to stay with the Leafs for a hometown discount. Aaltonen is the heir apparent but at 6'/180 it remains to be seen if he can take the beating as an NHL 3C. He's not a prototypical Babcock 3C but I think even he realizes the game has changed since he left the Wings. I wonder what kind of FO guy Aaltonen is? McCann would give them the option of either player at 3C with the other going to LW and Kapanen on the RW. Another little guy in Johnsson would be the odd man out at 3LW but maybe could find a slot on the 4th line. Too many small players and that's why I think Babcock hangs on to Grundstrom.

Mascherin is a moot point at midnight. Pysyk could survive Toronto on the 3rd pair but not on the 2nd as long as the team wins. Malgin is a guy that's gonna have a tough time playing a full 82 due to his size. He's the only guy that I've seen with our roster that can play on Tro's RW. Not sure what would happen if Brown were inserted. I think he's safe for now.

Bjugs is a wild card. Providing he can stay healthy like he did last year and to me that's a big if, he is more suited as a jack of all trades for the team. He certainly is not a prototypical 2C and barely passes as a 3C. He is valuable in the top 6 as a winger who can create space and add some scoring. He is also valuable as a fill in at C due to injury and can take important draws when needed. If some team views him in that light, he can be a trade chip along with something else for a second pairing guy to go with Matheson. I know Tallon will pull the trigger on some kind of deal as he is receiving pressure from Boo and to me it's just dumb when you already have Weegar.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds. :)

ps: Changed it up a bit after doing a little more research on the Marlies and Leafs

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
No trades:
Dads/Barkov/Bjugstad
Huby/Tro/Malgin
Vatrano/McCann/Mamin
Haley/Greco/Mac/Sceviour
I wonder if they'll want Borgstrom in the NHL straight away. They seemed pretty bullish on him.

Anyway it's a lot of question marks. Best case scenario - Bjugstad on the top line is for real and has a nice 60 point season next year, Malgin is for real and has a fifty point campaign next year, Vatrano-McCann-Mamin clicks and we have a legit third line, Greco gets playing time and is actually good. Worst case - it's one big super-mediocre mess with Barkov once again trying to do the impossible and drag us into the playoffs.

Yeah we should add a piece if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad