Speculation: Official Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
As a Penguins fan I wouldn’t move Letang. Following his last two serious injuries he was 3rd in Norris voting and 3rd in Conn Smythe votes.

I agree with the above post that Florida likely stays pat. Was just curious if there was any value there. Also, rumor is Florida is still interested.
"Following his last two serious injuries he was not 31 years old and not 31 years old."

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Yeah getting Letang would be a risky move.

When he's on, he's great but the guy is injured a ton and makes a ton of boneheaded plays. Couple that with a huge cap hit... I hope they pass.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I have scoured hockey twitter, reddit, even HF lol and there is absolutely no one saying Florida has any interest in Letang. Went to the Pens board and 1 3rd rate rumor site says Florida inquired and the Pens mentioned Bjugstad.

Now while Bjugstad is way more realistic than Dads, I dont see why Florida would be interested (Letang type already exists as noted above) or why on earth Letang would waive his NTC

Tallon likes this roster, it will be picks and prospects moved for the dman and the forward (if signed) will be a UFA. Only player not coming back is one of Petro or Pysyk.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
The source they're talking about is a random HF poster on their board who has also called trades in the past.

From what I remember the guy was talking about how Letang was really pissing management off, and there was a deal centered around sending Letang to Florida, while Bjugstad came up to play 3C and Dadonov coming to play on Malkin's wing. Pretty sure Sheary would have come back to FLA and a third, smaller piece (probably one of our RHD...Pysyk, Petro...) were being sent to PIT.

Either way I want no part in Letang for obvious reasons, even if Bjugstad+Pysyk were the base they were willing to work around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Now while Bjugstad is way more realistic than Dads, I dont see why Florida would be interested (Letang type already exists as noted above) or why on earth Letang would waive his NTC
According to CF he must give a list of 18 teams he can be traded to. I find it hard to believe we are on that list, but you never know with guys looking to semi retire before they actually retire.

LeTang is RH and Yandle LH + scouting reports say he is average at running the PP. Boo is no doubt pushing Tallon for an experienced defenseman that can move or carry the puck. As a RH defender, LeTang would fit nicely on the 1st or 2nd pairing. This is the type of system Boo wants as he's not comfortable with Pysyk on the 2nd pair or having Yandle used as a shutdown D.

Pitt would be looking to move LeTang as they need Cap space this coming year and next. Rust, Sheahan, Jarry and Oleksiak are RFA's and could could collect $9M total to be extended. The following season Guentzel is a RFA and he will likely get at least $5M. He probably was a co/ MVP in the playoffs this year with Crosby.

Sheary's production has fallen off with the emergence of Guentzel on Crosby's LW. He's a little guy at 5'8" for a LW and is making $3M per for the next 2 seasons on the 3rd line with either Brassard or Sheahan as the C. Neither was particularly a standout during the regular or post season at C. I could see Malgin being part of a deal if Sheary is coming back.

It certainly doesn't wet my appetite as I think Weegar can do the job. Unfortunately if you get two hardhead's like Tallon/Boughner pushing Viola, it's not out of the question. :(

Last edited:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I just don't see how Letang would work. Don't get me wrong, Yandle - Letang would be a very good offensive pairing. But it would mean that our shutdown pair is Matheson-Ekblad.

I don't see how that's an improvement or why Boughner didn't pair them together if he tought they were the best shutdown pairing. Put Pysyk with Yandle, he won't care he was productive playing with McIlrath.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Bjugstad + Pysyk + 15 oa, but no way would i trade dadonov in a deal for him.
That's way too much to give up for a fragile d-man with a bad concussion history and a big cap hit on the wrong side of 30.

Bjugstad and the 15th should be able to get us a younger top 4 D with a better cap hit, and I'm not that keen on trading Bjugstad unless we have a definite replacement/not a young guy for Bjugstad.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
bjugstad doesnt hold much value to me personally, its mostly just the 15th oa, despite his injries hes still a great player and a 1st+ would be the minimum i imagine. bjugstad would most liekly have to go for cap purposes, but im be fine with going after letang (one of many id be fine with). he played this whole season so thats promising for any buyer.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Would much, much, much rather spend those assets on Brett Pesce. McKenzie says the Canes are gonna be fielding offers, and Pesce plays the game and has the cap hit we need.

Happily give up Bjustad+Pysyk+15th OA for him.

Hell, I'd wonder if the Canes would opt for a mega deal like...

to FLA: 2nd OA, Pesce
to CAR: 15th OA, Borgstrom, Bjugstad, Macscherin, Pysyk

Probably would cost Borgstrom to get them to move back to 15 from 2.
And based on what we have left to give, it'd probably cost, a young roster player with upside, a replacement D, and another good prospect/pick to get Pesce.
Splitting the deal like this, that's probably an overpayment to move up, and an underpayment for Pesce, so it evens out.

Huberdeau - Barkov - Dadonov
Vatrano - Trocheck - Malgin
Mamin - McCann - Svechnikov
McGinna - MacKenzie - Scevior
Haley

Yandle - Pesce
Matheson - Ekblad
Weegar - Petrovic
McCoshen

I'd like this a lot.

Last edited:

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
And while I'm dreaming...this line up would still have a good ~10m left in cap space. Push for Tavares, cap dump McGinn to get under budget...

McCann - Tavares - Svechnikov
Mamin - MacKenzie - Scevior

Yandle - Pesce
Matheson - Ekblad
Weegar - Petrovic

:nod:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Would much, much, much rather spend those assets on Brett Pesce. McKenzie says the Canes are gonna be fielding offers, and Pesce plays the game and has the cap hit we need.

Probably would cost Borgstrom to get them to move back to 15 from 2.
And based on what we have left to give, it'd probably cost, a young roster player with upside, a replacement D, and another good prospect/pick to get Pesce.
Splitting the deal like this, that's probably an overpayment to move up, and an underpayment for Pesce, so it evens out.

Mamin - McCann - Svechnikov
McGinna - MacKenzie - Scevior
Haley

Yandle - Pesce
Matheson - Ekblad
Weegar - Petrovic
McCoshen

I'd like this a lot.

I would do that! Don't know why Carolina would though!

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

kerrabria

May 3, 2018

I think they might consider it because the owner clearly wants to shake things up, and the biggest problem with Carolina is a lack of any talent up the middle.

They move back in the draft (a deep draft where pick 10 is seen as good as 15), but gain one of the best center prospects out there, and one who is NHL ready too. They are already set on the wing with Aho, Terraveinen, Necas, Gauthier and Lindholm (Skinner too if they plan on keeping him), and they add two skilled and sized players there in Bjugstad and Mascherin. They downgrade on the RD, but they get that all important C.

They'd obviously make trades, and very few of their prospects have proven themselves, so it's impossible to project their future line-up, but they are very wing heavy and could use a center like Borgstrom (plus another lottery pick at 15) more than they could use an 18 year old wing when they are trying to compete now. (We're different because wouldn't be looking for Svech to walk in and be our best offensive forward).

It's also important to remember that if Borg was released into the 2018 draft, he would probably go no later than 10th OA and very well could be taken before Wahlstrom or Tkachuck.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Letang is finished. Too many injuries.

Weegar is a better player right now.
I don't know if he's finished, he just needs to adjust his physical play to compensate for his lack of durability at his age. He may not be able to do that as some guys feel the need to physically compete hard. His real assets are his skating, puck handling and ability to join the rush.

That said, I'm a great believer in looking at a players past injury history as a precursor to future injuries. Many teams wanted Hanzal as their 3rd line C and Dallas won the bidding war where it cost them $4.7M per for 3 yrs. Absolutely insane with his past injury history. Didn't take him long to land on IR.

There are always going to be guys like Mr. Boo where the grass is always greener on the other side. Weegar certainly deserves the opportunity on the 2nd line to take Pysyk's spot. He could fall flat on his face just as Pysyk did but he has the tools to succeed if given a chance. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
For Pesce? Can't be related to Joe as Joe is only 5'3".

He's no doubt a solid shutdown 23 yr old defenseman when he's healthy. He was shutdown himself with 8 games to go this year to have shoulder surgery. He's had his share of durability issues every other year including his final year at New Hampshire.

Amazing he and the Canes were near the top of the league in Corsi in 16-17 and he was also a plus 23. Didn't help as they missed the playoffs with only 87 pts. This year 83 pts and they missed again. So much for analytics. I say we use #15 this year and keep what we have and let the young prospects fill out the blueline in the next few years. :)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i feel that faulk will be the one out in carolina, hes got 2yrs left. pesce and slavin both have their contracts kicking in this coming season. dfintiely dont see slavin going anywhere and i doubt hanifin will, pesce is possible, i think faulk is the guy who could be had.

the 15th oa should be in play for a top-4 D.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Ignoring value for a moment as I don't know your prospects well enough, I really don't think Pesce is very available. Yeah, I know the owner said everybody Aho is available "for the right price", but I'll be very surprised if any of Aho, Necas, #2OA, Slavin, Pesce, Staal, Williams, or Teravainen get moved. Faulk is only 2 years away from free agency and it's likely he'll want a payday the Canes won't want to pay. TVR is a nice 3rd pairing RHD, but Pesce is much better defensively than both of them, is younger, is signed to a very nice 6 year deal for $4M / year, and plays very well with Slavin. If they trade Pesce and then lose Faulk (which I think they need to account for), they are screwed on the RHD side.

Re: the #2OA, Waddell said he'd listen to offers, but in order for him to consider moving it, it would have to be a deal where the other team makes an offer that blows him away. "Wow, they'd really do that?" Was his direct comment. I think it means it's just like when Florida said they'd listen to offers for the #1OA a few years back. They'll consider every offer, but it would have to be too good to be true to move it (unless they are just moving down 1-2 spots).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
i feel that faulk will be the one out in carolina, hes got 2yrs left. pesce and slavin both have their contracts kicking in this coming season. dfintiely dont see slavin going anywhere and i doubt hanifin will, pesce is possible, i think faulk is the guy who could be had.

the 15th oa should be in play for a top-4 D.

Yeah, our (Canes) view is that one of Faulk or Hanifin "may" move. Faulk, for the reasons you said. Hanifin, because with Slavin, Hanifin, Fleury and Bean, they have depth on the LHD side. Slavin is almost untouchable and Hanifin would bring back the biggest return. I'd like to see how Hanifin does in a more open system vs. what Bill Peters played before moving him. The problem with moving Faulk, is they don't have anyone that can do what he does offensively. If I had to guess though, if the Canes move a D this offseason, I'd bet it's one of those two.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Ignoring value for a moment as I don't know your prospects well enough, I really don't think Pesce is very available. Yeah, I know the owner said everybody Aho is available "for the right price", but I'll be very surprised if any of Aho, Necas, #2OA, Slavin, Pesce, Staal, Williams, or Teravainen get moved. Faulk is only 2 years away from free agency and it's likely he'll want a payday the Canes won't want to pay. TVR is a nice 3rd pairing RHD, but Pesce is much better defensively than both of them, is younger, is signed to a very nice 6 year deal for $4M / year, and plays very well with Slavin. If they trade Pesce and then lose Faulk (which I think they need to account for), they are screwed on the RHD side.

Re: the #2OA, Waddell said he'd listen to offers, but in order for him to consider moving it, it would have to be a deal where the other team makes an offer that blows him away. "Wow, they'd really do that?" Was his direct comment. I think it means it's just like when Florida said they'd listen to offers for the #1OA a few years back. They'll consider every offer, but it would have to be too good to be true to move it (unless they are just moving down 1-2 spots).

Yea, I definitely was surprised when Bobby Mack said only Aho was untouchable. I agree that it's incredibly unlikely that Pesce is available, especially with Faulk seemingly the most logical to move.

Exact same with Svech. There wouldn't be a reason to move him unless Dundon really just wants to make a big move. My thinking was that you guys already are loaded on the wings, but lack center options.

As for the value thing, idk how you would value these dudes, but Borg projects as an NHL 3C starting next year. I think he's very comparable to Mittlestadt (spelling?) in many ways, and I think he has legit top 6 C upside. Mascherin is a top 9, sniper with a blistering shot.

Overall I'm just spitballing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad