Official Expansion Draft Protection Thread (Howard protected over Mrazek)

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I would agree, that from an asset management standpoint, fans have it backwards. With how weak we are down the middle, and how well Nosek fit our established pro system, it makes no sense for him to be in the spot he's in. Somebody in Vegas' organization is no doubt lobbying for Nosek atm. I won't get into the Oullete/Jensen thing here, but I'd rank Mrazek behind both of those issues.

Nosek's potential has been on par with or better than our 3rd and 4th line centers for the past... 160 games?

I guess the Wings are super confident in their projections considering Nosek saw limited action in his 17 game Red Wing career.

I don't know enough to spot the difference between a guy that can put up 22 points in the AHL playoffs and continue that development in the NHL, and a guy who has reached his ceiling. Hopefully the Wings do.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Nosek's potential has been on par with or better than our 3rd and 4th line centers for the past... 160 games?

I guess the Wings are super confident in their projections considering Nosek saw limited action in his 17 game Red Wing career.

I don't know enough to spot the difference between a guy that can put up 22 points in the AHL playoffs and continue that development in the NHL, and a guy who has reached his ceiling. Hopefully the Wings do.

Ahl playoffs don't matter when you're on a stacked team with like 4 scoring lines and a bunch of ahl masters beside you (street and such)

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Ahl playoffs don't matter when you're on a stacked team with like 4 scoring lines and a bunch of ahl masters beside you (street and such)

I'm just saying I'm suspicious about the dilligence that was done in Noseks case.

Most years I would defer to the front office, but with Glendenning and Sheahen ahead of you on the depth chart, I think there's a chance we didn't give the guy a good shot rather than know for certain he's done developing.

I feel like there's still a possibility that Nosek is a better player than Sheahen and Glendenning.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'm just saying I'm suspicious about the dilligence that was done in Noseks case.

Most years I would defer to the front office, but with Glendenning and Sheahen ahead of you on the depth chart, I think there's a chance we didn't give the guy a good shot rather than know for certain he's done developing.

I feel like there's still a possibility that Nosek is a better player than Sheahen and Glendenning.

I don't think he's as good as sheahan unless he doesn't bounce back. Luke? Maybe

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

Vegas took the gamble. Looks to me like Detroit was lucky not to lose anyone with trade value.

Nosek has potential, but will he reach it? That's the gamble.

Nosek did and still won't bring back anything in a trade, where as Sheahan, Ouellet, and Mrazek could or should, at the time of the ED.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I really liked what I saw from Nosek last year in the NHL. Long reach, good at protecting the puck, solid skill level. But realistically, he's nothing more than a 3rd or 4th liner at best so who cares really.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I really liked what I saw from Nosek last year in the NHL. Long reach, good at protecting the puck, solid skill level. But realistically, he's nothing more than a 3rd or 4th liner at best so who cares really.

Guy was a free agent pick from Europe and lost for free at expansion draft.

Nothing really important in big picture.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
i don't if he demanded a trade, but he was upset the wings didn't trade howard according to khan

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/06/red_wings_left_petr_mrazek_unp.html

I just wondered if there were any stories about his attitude prior to Holland leaving him exposed. Whether it's true or not, if there weren't any stories around the time it happened it just shows how much power the Wings have in what is or is not reported.

As far as I've seen for the most part stories about Mrazek's attitude didn't really start coming out until the last couple weeks.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I just wondered if there were any stories about his attitude prior to Holland leaving him exposed. Whether it's true or not, if there weren't any stories around the time it happened it just shows how much power the Wings have in what is or is not reported.

As far as I've seen for the most part stories about Mrazek's attitude didn't really start coming out until the last couple weeks.

khan posted in article in January about mrazek's attitude.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/01/work_ethic_attitude_keys_to_ge.html

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Just wondering if you've had a chance to find those sources stating Mrazek's demands that Howard be traded.

It must have been the Khan article. Sorry but I am guessing that I read the following & I didn't remember it right when I posted. It doesn't actually say he "demanded" a trade.

"Mrazek was not happy the Red Wings were unable to trade Howard in the off-season and let the club know in less-than-tactful terms."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad