Official Expansion Draft Protection Thread (Howard protected over Mrazek)

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Helene St. James‏Verified account @HeleneStJames 54s55 seconds ago
More
Red Wings protect Abdelkader, Athanasiou, Mantha, Nielsen, Nyquist, Tatar, Zetterberg, DeKeyser, Green, Jensen, Howard.

Oh my god they did not protect Petr

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Helene St. James‏Verified account @HeleneStJames 36s37 seconds ago
More
Helene St. James Retweeted Helene St. James
Exposed include Mrazek, Glendening, Helm, Sheahan, Ouellet.
My guess is Vegas takes Sheahan. Maybe Ouellet.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I think protecting Howard over Mrazek is a bad move, but I don't really care that much. Outside of Mrazek the Wings don't have any future in goal, but considering the Wings don't have much of a future anywhere makes that a bit more consequential.

Maybe this means Holland actually trades Mrazek somewhere else and gets something from him.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think protecting Howard over Mrazek is a bad move, but I don't really care that much. Outside of Mrazek the Wings don't have any future in goal, but considering the Wings don't have much of a future anywhere makes that a bit more consequential.

Maybe this means Holland actually trades Mrazek somewhere else and gets something from him.

Can trades happen before Vegas makes it's picks?

That would seem to circumvent the whole list thing.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013

No one taking Mrazek anyway.

That was a great move taking Paterson two picks ahead of the Penguins taking Murray!

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
LOL, Holland is in love with veterans. No doubt about that even given the new reality of how bad this franchise is and will be for the foreseeable future. I'm guessing it's a calculated risk thinking the goalie market is so soft that Mrazek isn't likely to get selected. I really, really, really hope Holland is wrong. Howard has proven he can't handle a full season as the starting goalie, this should only help further the implosion if Mrazek does get claimed. 33 year old goalies don't magically get better. :popcorn:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
LOL, Holland is in love with veterans. No doubt about that even given the new reality of how bad this franchise is and will be for the foreseeable future. I'm guessing it's a calculated risk thinking the goalie market is so soft that Mrazek isn't likely to get selected. I really, really, really hope Holland is wrong. Howard has proven he can't handle a full season as the starting goalie, this should only help further the implosion if Mrazek does get claimed. 33 year old goalies don't magically get better. :popcorn:

I just don't see Mrazek getting selected since MAF and Raanta/Grubauer will be available.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Obviously Holland has lost his marbles exposing both Ouellet and Mrazek, But not surprised we knew that Petr could be exposed.

Ouellet is an obvious guy to expose in my opinion. Holland made the correct move in protecting Jensen. Ouellet doesn't have the speed to be more than a bottom pairing d-man. It's yet another example of how bad our drafting and development has been with defensemen.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Exactly right forwards and defencemen were protected.

This goalie thing is debatable, interesting gamble, but I think something really did hurt relations between Mrazek and Holland at last contract negotiations.

Also, not smart to sit 5 or 4 million of you cap on the bench, when you have AHL championship goalie on the minors. I understand this logic. They believe in Coreau as an option with better value/role if Mrazek is exposed. Opens cap space.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Ouellet is an obvious guy to expose in my opinion. Holland made the correct move in protecting Jensen. Ouellet doesn't have the speed to be more than a bottom pairing d-man. It's yet another example of how bad our drafting and development has been with defensemen.

Yeah not really shocked at Ouellet being exposed, Would rather have Jensen protected over XO easily. Just kind of shocked of Mrazek being left exposed i guess this sends a message to him that Holland would rather have an aging injury prone overpaid goalie in Howard then himself. Either way it's looking like Mrazeks days in Detroit might be numbered.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Exactly right forwards and defencemen were protected.

This goalie thing is debatable, but I think something really did hurt relations between Mrazek and Holland at last contract negotiations.

And you don't sit 5 or 4 million on the bench, when you have AHL championship goalie on the minors.

This I agree with, it was ridiculous to put the team in a position to have close to 10m in goaltending when neither goalie were anywhere close to elite. But unfortunately, the chances the Wings move Mrazek is slim to none, so the cap most likely won't get fixed through that avenue.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
i know a lot of people don't feel as strongly as i do on this, and i admit mrazek had a very poor season last year, but to me this is one of the most stupid things holland has done. we have nothing obvious in net in the pipeline, mrazek can be spectacular, at mrazek's age henrik lundqvist had only played one season in the NHL (so plenty of time/room for development), howard is made of glass.....oh, and howard is way less likely to be chosen and even if he was, his contract sucks.

not pleased.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Literally zero reason to protect Howard, no chance Vegas would touch him.Mrazek probably doesn't get taken, but if he does were running with a 33 year old injury prone goalie and an AHLer, real good job Kenny.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It's all about loyalty

It's an admirable trait but it dos ent build championship teams

I hope he gets taken and they trade him to Winnipeg for a 2nd and a prospect 24hrs later

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
This I agree with, it was ridiculous to put the team in a position to have close to 10m in goaltending when neither goalie were anywhere close to elite. But unfortunately, the chances the Wings move Mrazek is slim to none, so the cap most likely won't get fixed through that avenue.

Howard is at the tail end of his career and his contact is up in 2 years after which he will likely retire. Mrazek is 25, hasn't hit his prime, and has 10 years of good hockey remaining.

Even if you expose Howard the chances of him getting selected are much less then Mrazek.

I cannot understand Kennys reasoning here.

This is turning into a joke of a franchise with Kenny at the reins

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
there is obviously something brewing behind closed doors with mrazek that we don't know about. there was the rumblings earlier in the year about mrazek having a poor attitude in the locker room.

if mrazek doesn't get taken or traded, will be interesting to see how this affects him going forward will he take it as motivation or he will pout about it and give up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad