Official Expansion Draft Protection Thread (Howard protected over Mrazek)

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Obviously didn't have to lose him but hey, thanks Holland.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Pretty much classic Board meltdown. I think the majority of us with half a brain cell and some logic knew he wouldnt be taken. Also goes to show how much of a ****show the rest of our team is.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
so far

Teemu Pulkkinen (Coyotes)
William Carrier (Sabres) (6th round pick also traded from Sabres to Golden Knights)
Cody Eakin (Stars)
Tomas Nosek (Red Wings)
Jonathan Marchessault (Panthers) (F Reilly Smith and 2018 4th round pick also traded from Panthers to Golden Knights)

Defencemen
Luca Sbisa (Canucks)
John Merrill (Devils)
Brayden McNabb (Kings)
Goaltenders
Calvin Pickard (Avalanche

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
it really is crazy how much a year can change things. mrazek goes from being regarded as a potential franchise goalie to not even being selected in the expansion draft

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
it really is crazy how much a year can change things. mrazek goes from being regarded as a potential franchise goalie to not even being selected in the expansion draft

I wouldn't read much into it.

He makes too much money to be a back-up and there are at most 2 teams with any interest in a goalie, so the trade market is extremely weak there as well.

The only reason I can see why Mrazek was exposed was to send him a message. Hopefully it motivates him to find his form from a few years ago.
'
Given how GMGM is picking that team it's pretty obvious that no matter who we protected a young player was going to be their pick. Losing only Nosek is about as good as things could have gone for the Wings.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
i knew they weren't touching Mrazek. It was obvious. I predicted they'd take Sheahan. I forgot Nosek even existed, AHL/NHL tweener. Lol

I'm stewing over NSH losing James Neal.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300

I'm genuinely sad how far we've fallen over the last 4 years.

We're not even at rock bottom yet :cry:

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
A shame we couldn't shed some salary, but this really isn't bad news unless Nosek exceeds all expectations.

A player who peaks out as a 3rd line Center and probably has a trade value of a 3rd round pick.

When you look at what other teams are losing, it seems our weak roster was a good time to have an expansion draft, rather than losing players of value later in the rebuild.

The greater disappointment is that the wings couldn't swing an exposed player and pick in exchange for a more desirable exposed player like Theodore.

Still, under the conditions of this expansion draft to lose an player that has cost no assets and on this roster was likely to make the 4th line a little better (not doing the player down, but we have a lot of 3rd line players already), its a good result for the wings compared to others, especially Florida so far, who have merely shed some salary.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
His list is one of the first times he had to be honest publicly. He also went out of his way to say he had no idea what they would do. To top that off he completely eviscerated the value of one of the only players we thought had any in the organization and has made that one of the most untenable relationships in the league.

Sweet job Ken, spin this anyway you care to, I have lost all faith in him moving forward. That doesn't change because he got lucky today. There was a way to do this and he failed miserably. It is time to move upstairs or somewhere else.

So Vegas didn't take Mrazek because Holland eviscerated his value with his media cronies and their character assassination? Really man?

Mrazek has to take some accountability for his value plumetting; if he truly wants out of Detroit then he needs to play up to his contract/salary and show 30 other GMs that he's a legit NHL goalie - if he does that then Ken Holland and his army of media lemmings can print anything they freaking want and Mrazek will still be able to find a home somewhere else.

I don't have a lot of faith in Holland either, it is hard to be anything but doubtful concerning our future with him at the helm, but Mrazek's play is largely responsible for Mrazek's value - or lack of value.

I hope that Petr can work his ass off, focus on next season and come in with a chip on his shoulder and put a strangle hold on the starting goalie position. Hopefully he builds up his value and mends fences within the organization and turns into the stud goalie so many believe he can be. But if not there's always that character assassination thing to shake his fist at from the KHL.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
So Vegas didn't take Mrazek because Holland eviscerated his value with his media cronies and their character assassination? Really man?

Howard wasn't going to get taken. Mrazek wasn't going to get taken. So why take the symbolic step of exposing Mrazek, not making a side deal, and basically announcing to the NHL world "I don't care if I lose him for nothing or not?" Is it that hard to understand the point?

If its true that Mrazek has "attitude problems," let everyone else figure that out for themselves! Continue to paint him as a young, potential starter who just needs to work out some kinks and maybe you won't entirely eviscerate his value, as said.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
so far (from TSN)

Teemu Pulkkinen (Coyotes)
William Carrier (Sabres) (6th round pick also traded from Sabres to Golden Knights)
Cody Eakin (Stars)
Tomas Nosek (Red Wings)
Jonathan Marchessault (Panthers)
F Reilly Smith and 2018 4th round pick also traded from Panthers to Golden Knights)
Connor Brickley (Hurricanes)
Chris Thorburn (Jets)
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare (Flyers)
Nikita Gusev (Lightning)*
James Neal (Predators)
Mikhail Grabovski (Islanders)

Defencemen
Luca Sbisa (Canucks)
John Merrill (Devils)
Brayden McNabb (Kings)
Jason Garrison (Lightning)
Deryk Engelland (Flames)
Jake Bischoff (Islanders)*

Goaltenders
Calvin Pickard (Avalanche
Jean-Francois Berube (Islanders)

Here is a list of draft picks acquired by Golden Knights:
6th round (2017) from Sabres
2nd round (2017) from Lightning
4th round (2018) from Lightning
1st round (2017) from Islanders
2nd round (2019) from Islanders

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Howard wasn't going to get taken. Mrazek wasn't going to get taken. So why take the symbolic step of exposing Mrazek, not making a side deal, and basically announcing to the NHL world "I don't care if I lose him for nothing or not?" Is it that hard to understand the point?

If its true that Mrazek has "attitude problems," let everyone else figure that out for themselves! Continue to paint him as a young, potential starter who just needs to work out some kinks and maybe you won't entirely eviscerate his value, as said.

Indeed. Just because he passed through doesn't mean this is great.

I think we all know Petr has a lot to work on this off-season. Like virtually every player on this team. Did he symbolically expose other players that were trash all year. Huh so Gator and DeKeyser made it through this process.... Okay...

Howard was never getting claimed. This is about sending a message to the locker room? Is it? Great about hard work... Okay that is fine if you have the requisite amount of talent. What needs to be sent to Holland is this team is awful and doesn't have enough talent. Go get some freaking talent if you want to send messages like this. I don't have time for this or the messages it sends. He isn't valuing things correctly. We got a window into how Holland works because he had to show us this thing and it is of the variety that I wanted to borderline delete as trolling posts. He actually just did that....

Look at it however you want. That is my opinion. I am completely disappointed and bummed out. I have been a huge Holland supporter. I think he is a top 10 GM of all-time and is a HHOF. We owe him a lot, but I am ready to turn the page at GM. He needs to break away from how we are doing business.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit

Why?

To red pill Mrazek so it hopefully kicks him in the butt and he realizes he has a ton of work to do if he every wants to be a "top 5 goalie in the NHL" that a lot of people think he can be.

The guy was handed everything last year and fell flat on his face, he has absolutely no reason to be unhappy, unless it's with himself. He's too cocky to be that humble though.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Don't get some of these picks that as of yet don't have trades attached, such as:

Teemu Pulkkinen: HUH, he will be out of the NHL very soon, doesn't compete hard enough, no points.

Connor Brickley - Who?

Deryk Engelland -Why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad