Official Bryan Murray Discussion Thread

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I thought that he looked notably thinner lately - it made me concerned. I am convinced, though, that he will continue working until right to the end, so speculating about when he might step aside is moot. That's what he wants, and he's earned the right to call his own shot on this.

He does. On deadline day, he definitely looked thinner in the face. Chemo is incredibly difficult on a young person....I can't imagine the effect on someone in their early 70s.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I've been reading the same thing for years now... Sens are close just wait till next year...

Next year happens and everyone sees the defensive system is a joke again... Rinse and Repeat
To have one of those we needed a defense corps ,if you look at the defensemen we have drafted and where. You can clearly see ,we have been trying to build a blueline since BM has taken over.

Top 4 defenders are the hardest things to come up with ,you cant sign them as F/A ,or trade for them due to the huge costs involved.And drafting and developing them ranks just behind goaltenders,as far as development time, and bust frequency .

Cowen 9th bust

Wier 2nd round

Runblad traded for 16th OA

Ceci 16th OA

Chabot 18TH oa

EK 15th OA
That right there represents a large portion of our higher draft picks with BM as gm .Drafting isnt an exact science,and has cost us any sembelence of what should have been a very solid blueline

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Carolina is not having difficulty finding young defensemen

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
How about Dallas??what are they ??a contender with Spezza as their 2nd line center??Or a team worse than us ??COL,MIN,EDM,CGY,MTL,WPG,VAN,BOS,PITT,NJ,NYI,DET,CLB,FLD,PHI,BUF,ARZ,tOR AND CAR .are all more or less where we are .and we happen to be the 3rd youngest in the league .Dont really get the spinning of wheels comment some are posting here ,a healthy roster this season and we would have been a playoff team.Having a healthy team with Dion for a full season with a good add and we should be very good

Last edited:

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Carolina ????Is that what you are comparing our team too?.Look at their entire roster then look at ours ,its not close

And yet they are the best team in the league in shots against and the Sens are the worst

Canes are higher in the standings too despite the forwards being half as good as Ottawas

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
No but their problems are finding forwards....

Last 6 drafts, they picked 5rd, 7th, 5th, 38th, 12th and 7th

I know they have crappy forwards... I'm not understanding how a more talented Ottawa team does not have a more effective system then them

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
One of my coworkers worked for the Lightning and a brief stint with the Panthers for about 8 years and her favorite person in the entire hockey world is Bryan Murray. She also says everyone in the NHL world feels absolutely the same way as her and he is highly regarded as a GM by his peers and just everyone in general.

I think it's going to be a bigger loss than people realize when the inevitable comes as he is a guy who has certainly touched a ton of people's lives.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
One of my coworkers worked for the Lightning and a brief stint with the Panthers for about 8 years and her favorite person in the entire hockey world is Bryan Murray. She also says everyone in the NHL world feels absolutely the same way as her and he is highly regarded as a GM by his peers and just everyone in general.

I think it's going to be a bigger loss than people realize when the inevitable comes as he is a guy who has certainly touched a ton of people's lives.
He is a HOF GM/COACH ,the list this guy has. Of people he has help realise their dreams into making it into the nhl could choke a horse.Coach,s,like Trotz,Ruff,Babcock.And a player list that is a mile long littered with hofers,either he has coached or drafted into the nhl .The grass will not be greener when he leaves ,and the posters here that say different are only fooling themselves

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Nobody has ever said anything bad about Bryan Murray the man, but as a GM he hasn't done a good job really anywhere he has been - and definitely not in Ottawa.

Good guy, but the team on the ice speaks for itself. We are actually worse this year then last

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Nobody has ever said anything bad about Bryan Murray the man, but as a GM he hasn't done a good job really anywhere he has been - and definitely not in Ottawa.

Good guy, but the team on the ice speaks for itself. We are actually worse this year then last

In the standings? maybe but not on paper. Missing Turris since December 6th has been a biggest blow then expected. We've acquired Dion and got rid of bad contracts

We're better.

Last edited:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

But this is what I'm saying where there is a difference of opinion among people in the NHL, they disagree with this statement and it's straight from the horses mouth.

Now I am not saying your opinion is wrong or you can't think the guy did a bad job here or even throughout his entire career, but to me there is definitely a disconnect from what the fans opinion is from what league execs and team execs think about his track record as a GM.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
I'd like to post a short little personal anecdote about a friend who worked in the same organization as Murray and said that he was a bad GM. But I'll save that for another time...

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
The same issues the Ducks had when BM left the Sens have now.

- Ducks tied up huge money to Federov... That's a contract Burke had to dump when he took over.

- Burke also had to replace the entire blueline, he was lucky to get Nieds and pull of the Pronger deal, at the end of the day tho the entire blueline was replaced.

Our next GM will have to do similar things for the Sens to take the next step

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
In the standings? maybe but not on paper. Missing Turris since December 6th has been a biggest blow then expected. We've acquired Dion and got rid of bad contracts

We're better.
Looking back at the draft lists for BM here ,you can see how many misses the team has actually had in the first round .And one of the biggest reasons as to why the defense has been as bad as its been

Cowen 9th bust

Runblad 16th by stlouis bust

Ceci 16th win

EK 15th win

Chabot N/A

One more win earlier and we would be in far better shape

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

- Ducks tied up huge money to Federov... That's a contract Burke had to dump when he took over.

- Burke also had to replace the entire blueline, he was lucky to get Nieds and pull of the Pronger deal, at the end of the day tho the entire blueline was replaced.

The difference is Ottawa has the players needed any gm would love to have EK/Methot

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

You seem to forget than BM sign his brother in hopes of getting him there the season before ,also ANA went to the finals just the year before :nod:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The difference is Ottawa has the players needed any gm would love to have EK/Methot
For me we are real close ,just a healthy squad next season and we are an easy playoff team .Upgrade Zibby in the top 6 ,and we just might be really close:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad