Official Bryan Murray Discussion Thread

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
No the Burke era Leafs had a avg age of 27 and very few to no prospects Ottawa avg age 24 and a hand full of good prospects.
You were already debunked on that number. Our average age is 26.13.

In Bryan Murray's tenure we are no further ahead of the leafs other than a few playoff appearances. So far our good prospects have contributed to us missing the playoffs again.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
You were already debunked on that number. Our average age is 26.13.

In Bryan Murray's tenure we are no further ahead of the leafs other than a few playoff appearances. So far our good prospects have contributed to us missing the playoffs again.

I'm just looking forward to the prospect of eventual new faces and philosophies in management, whether it be next season or the year after. That's what's giving me the hope right now.

And hire a damn coach who has experience working with and succeeding with pro hockey players.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I'm just looking forward to the prospect of eventual new faces and philosophies in management, whether it be next season or the year after. That's what's giving me the hope right now.

And hire a damn coach who has experience working with and succeeding with pro hockey players.

My biggest worry is that once Murray does step aside that we're just going to promote one of his assistants and things are going to remain status quo + the fact that I think that Cameron has a long leash because of his connection to Melnyk when it's quite obvious that we need a new coach. I don't what it is with our players and coaches. It just seems like they can only play well for them for 2-3 years and then after that they start to really show a decline in their play under that coach. It's a little embarrassing to see.

When Murray does step aside, I hope they dont promote Alfredsson to take his spot. I would hate to see the fanbase turn on its greatest player if he was to make a couple of questionable moves. It would unnecessarily tarnish his legacy. Ask some Avs fans what they think of Sakic and Roy right now. It would be better for him to pull an Yzerman and run his own show somewhere else if he really wants to be a GM one day.

It's obvious that we need a fundamental change in philosophy when it comes to coaching and management on this team. Murray's spent nearly a decade trying to make something happen since the Cup run but it just hasn't worked out. We've had some good moments but for the most part a lot our seasons have been very average since 2007.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
One GM for those 15 years?

One bad owner for those 15(+) years, yeah.

Wouldn't spend money on players, had good players leave because the team wasn't committed to winning at an ownership level, made hockey decisions with the budget in mind instead of hockey in mind...

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
What we see leaking out of this organization now, was Murray under appreciated and actually kept this gongshow together somehow?

Maybe. Maybe.

I still thought that Murray was a fairly poor GM during his time as GM of this team, but I definitely have a new found appreciation for him in how he kept Melnyk in check.

That said, Melnyk still had his tentacles around him as well(take the Alfie debacle for example).

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Anyone remember the rumour we were going to hire Pat Quinn to coach, Yzerman as GM and Bob Nicholson as president? I wish I remember what year that was. Maybe around 2010?

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Anyone remember the rumour we were going to hire Pat Quinn to coach, Yzerman as GM and Bob Nicholson as president? I wish I remember what year that was. Maybe around 2010?

Yeah I do remember that. That would have been something, haha.
With time I can say one good thing about Bryan is he at least kept Eugene under leash.
He made it less painful with his wit, hope he's at least having a laugh or two at our situation.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
With Randy Lee's recent admission of guilt, the discussion around Bryan Murray's effectiveness as GM has resurfaced.

Personally, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in South Beach that a Randy Lee would be allowed to operate in B. Murray run organization...unless the owner was one like Melnyk.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
With Randy Lee's recent admission of guilt, the discussion around Bryan Murray's effectiveness as GM has resurfaced.

Personally, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in South Beach that a Randy Lee would be allowed to operate in B. Murray run organization...unless the owner was one like Melnyk.
Wasn't Lee a trainer/scout under Murray?

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
Wasn't Lee a trainer/scout under Murray?

"...unless the owner was one like Melnyk."

I was never a "fan" of Bryan Murray the GM, but as time has gone on and more of the inner workings of Melnyk's organization have come to light, I've been left to wonder how much of Bryan Murray's time was spent working to contain things. I cannot imagine Murray was aware of any transgressions by Lee during his time, but if there were such transgressions then one could argue that Murray should have known. What we will not know is just how many of Murray's fingers and toes were engaged in plugging leaks in the dam that was holding back the insanity we are now witnessing. And if Murray was the last bastion of competence and accountability, effectively holding back the tide, how many things were going on that he didn't know about or was unable to influence?

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Absolutely, and the kid that used to beat the shit out of you when you were a kid was also an EM employee...

You jumped the shark on this one... as did I

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
Absolutely, and the kid that used to beat the **** out of you when you were a kid was also an EM employee...

You jumped the shark on this one... as did I

Sorry Ice, I may not be following...there was conversation in the Randy Lee thread re: Murray and a mod suggested it get moved to this thread. So I obliged by bumping the thread. I do think that the current state of the franchise is cause to reflect on the job BM did, and question how much of his ineffectiveness (which is open to debate) was the result of organizational dysfunction.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sorry Ice, I may not be following...there was conversation in the Randy Lee thread re: Murray and a mod suggested it get moved to this thread. So I obliged by bumping the thread. I do think that the current state of the franchise is cause to reflect on the job BM did, and question how much of his ineffectiveness (which is open to debate) was the result of organizational dysfunction.

Sorry Blotto, we had a very late night last night; our Christmas party. After reading my post I see that rather than actually responding to your post in a way that another human could understand, I just posted some nonsensical stuff and came off seeming like a dick (could be that I am a dick sometimes).

Upon reflection my point was that I don’t think Lee is some sort of predator that the team was somehow hiding. I don’t believe that EM would condone the behavior any more than BM would.

Look, I get accused of being an EM shill around here often enough but to me it comes down to being a little emotionally removed from things which I think allows me to be more realistic about generalities. EM pissed off fans by calling them out, but he’s not hiring criminals or brushing sexual harassment under the rug to save on costs. He’s also not as evil as has become the norm around here. I mean realistically most billionaires have devoured other businesses and been ‘sketchy’ getting where they are (take a look at some of the things Gates has done over the years as an example). He’s also been very clear for a while now that revenues for the team will match income, there really should belittle surprise that this team has been a middle if the pack spending team that will rarely, if ever, get near the cap. He’s the author of his own demise in Ottawa, but he’s no deamon.

We can hate the man for not being rich enough to subsidize the team, and we can wish that he’d shut the f*** up and hang in the back ground (like any of us would if we owned the team), but this group here has gone soooo far past that now, to a place where the guy is thought to be actually evil.

Long winded, and early morning for me. Again, sorry blotto that was a pretty dopey late night post.

Reactions: Blotto71

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
With Melnyk the level of hatred is hard to explain as just the fact he wont subsidize the team. Its surely deeper. It’s the total incompetence and lack of character or evident wisdom that trickles down to the culture of an organization. The owner plays a part in a hockey team. He must inspire the top level confidence that will allow fans to make the emotional commitment in a perceived path to success.

Euge is failing in that. If he was to say something like- look, these are going to be a tough few years, financial circumstances and bankers that have lent me money dictate a minor focus change towards long term development as we work toward a new arena project. But we have a viable long term plan that is achievable and will be funded and we are headed towards it competently. Then many fans may grumble discontentedly, but at least die hards would have something to spare them paper bags for their heads. But Melnyk has inspired dismissive disapproval. And really has not made clear any plan; fans are trying to read between the lines hoping for the best interpretation.

BMurr was the appropriate, professional buffer, that he was a chief of staff for the raving king seems even more evident in hindsight. The team he took was at its peak, but didn’t make it, and now had to pay top dollar contracts for many young stars. And he tried to give them as best a chance as possible over the following years even though they were no longer young and improving. It’s a great loyalty to the players there. But if you could emotionally detach from the team and make a cold calculation, perhaps making a decision somewhat similar to how the Rangers recent somewhat surprising decision to call for a rebuild earlier than expected is the tougher call required nowadays given cap constraints.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
Sorry Blotto, we had a very late night last night; our Christmas party. After reading my post I see that rather than actually responding to your post in a way that another human could understand, I just posted some nonsensical stuff and came off seeming like a dick (could be that I am a dick sometimes).

Upon reflection my point was that I don’t think Lee is some sort of predator that the team was somehow hiding. I don’t believe that EM would condone the behavior any more than BM would.

Look, I get accused of being an EM shill around here often enough but to me it comes down to being a little emotionally removed from things which I think allows me to be more realistic about generalities. EM pissed off fans by calling them out, but he’s not hiring criminals or brushing sexual harassment under the rug to save on costs. He’s also not as evil as has become the norm around here. I mean realistically most billionaires have devoured other businesses and been ‘sketchy’ getting where they are (take a look at some of the things Gates has done over the years as an example). He’s also been very clear for a while now that revenues for the team will match income, there really should belittle surprise that this team has been a middle if the pack spending team that will rarely, if ever, get near the cap. He’s the author of his own demise in Ottawa, but he’s no deamon.

We can hate the man for not being rich enough to subsidize the team, and we can wish that he’d shut the **** up and hang in the back ground (like any of us would if we owned the team), but this group here has gone soooo far past that now, to a place where the guy is thought to be actually evil.

Long winded, and early morning for me. Again, sorry blotto that was a pretty dopey late night post.

All good Ice! :)

You are right, EM is an easy target to hate on and that could influence my feelings on the issue.

Cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->