Official Bryan Murray Discussion Thread

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It doesn't matter what Murray does. Haters are gonna hate.

It's usually the group that simply doesn't understand the cyclical nature of pro spots, and expect the team to be dominant and contend for a Cup every single year.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
They say the buck stops here so there are some "questionable" decisions that could be blamed on Bryan Murray but many can probably be placed on his support staff giving bad advice.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
You seem to forget than BM sign his brother in hopes of getting him there the season before ,also ANA went to the finals just the year before :nod:

The Michalen Man carried that Ducks team amazing... His pads were so big lol

15-6 .945sv%

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

It's usually the group that simply doesn't understand the cyclical nature of pro spots, and expect the team to be dominant and contend for a Cup every single year.

Clubs been the worst defensive team the last five years and fires coaches every other year

Those are truths

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The Michalen Man carried that Ducks team amazing... His pads were so big lol

15-6 .945sv%
So bm gets no credit for him either ,the team to win was there .Up front it was an absolute work of art , top end defenders back then, were just as hard to come by as they are now however.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think a top 5 pick would really help.
TBH thinking we move that pick .There will be a good center or two available ,and one that isnt a greybeard either.We have two bluechippers in Chabot and White,we can afford to take a can off the shelf ,its time we started to play for playoff wins instead of draft picks now

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Clubs been the worst defensive team the last five years and fires coaches every other year

Those are truths
Ok so what defenders ,would have been available to us to sign or trade for to make us that much better??Please list them

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Ok so what defenders ,would have been available to us to sign or trade for to make us that much better??Please list them

Everyone's favorite argument... I don't know what's available

I do know Anton Stralman has a 4.5 cap hit and signed as a UFA with the Bolts. Jay Garrison was acquired for a 2nd

Willie Mitchell 4.25 cap hit as a UFA
Nick Leddy acquired for Pokka
Jason Demers acquired for Brandon Dillon

Etc

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

I do know Anton Stralman has a 4.5 cap hit and signed as a UFA with the Bolts. Jay Garrison was acquired for a 2nd

Etc
Yep not bad ,but you need to remember .During this time the brass and most here still had faith in Cowen and Wier actually panning out .Hindsight is always 20/20 my friend .You should probably add in Jybo ,in St louis as well

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
One GM for those 15 years?

Even a couple GMs took forever to get things turned around. They happened to luck out with two great high picks (better than Edmonton's picks outside McDavid) and picking up Keith later on.

But it just shows that people crying over a 3-4-5-6-7 year rebuild or re-tool...however folks want to categorize it, simply don't get it. How long has Edmonton been rebuilding? What has Montreal accomplished over the last 20 years? Or Toronto? Even an overall solid team like Nashville can't even get a sniff.

This isn't a video game, where lopsided trade are a piece of cake, and the Cup is only a couple clicks away.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Even a couple GMs took forever to get things turned around. They happened to luck out with two great high picks (better than Edmonton's picks outside McDavid) and picking up Keith later on.

But it just shows that people crying over a 3-4-5-6-7 year rebuild or re-tool...however folks want to categorize it, simply don't get it. How long has Edmonton been rebuilding? What has Montreal accomplished over the last 20 years? Or Toronto? Even an overall solid team like Nashville can't even get a sniff.

This isn't a video game, where lopsided trade are a piece of cake, and the Cup is only a couple clicks away.
Add in CAP on or off .Its a much longer process now ,without the cap money teams threw in picks like nothing .Now a 2nd round pick is hard currency.People only need look at the team in Toronto to see this

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

How many GMs have Edmonton or Toronto had? If you make no progress then you're replaced for a new group... Give them five years and if no progression you move on again.

Can you name a GM who has ran a club for 10 years and fired four coaches going on five? And has just one playoff series win?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
How many GMs have Edmonton or Toronto had? If you make no progress then you're replaced for a new group... Give them five years and if no progression you move on again.

Can you name a GM who has ran a club for 10 years and fired four coaches going on five? And has just one playoff series win?

Off the top of my head, Don Maloney probably qualifies.

When it comes to tearing down a frnachise and rebuilding it, 5 years is nothing. If you change directions and bring in new people every 5 years you're never going to get anywhere.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Add in dismantling of a cup finalist ,and yep .Far too much non context in what you are saying .Has BM been perfect??no .Has he kept the ship afloat while he has completley rebuilt the roster,yes.The cupboard is bare because he cycled through everything he drafted .And now has another crop coming ,we did have 4 picks in the first two round last season .In case you are forgetting ,and one of the youngest nhl rosters in the league .That when healthy is an easy playoff team,one or two shrewd moves and this could easily push upwards into a top 5 team in the east

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Etc

Maybe it's the coaching?

Dave Cameron is really just continuing MacLean's work IMO. At what point are we going to try to bring some experience into this organization?

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
But this is my issue some fans read blogs and say why did the team not pull off that trade.

What I am wondering is why we didn't try to snag Babcock out from under Toronto's nose. We should have fired Cameron and just offered Babcock partial ownership to come and coach this young group of talent.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Agreed. :handclap:

Maybe it's the coaching?

Dave Cameron is really just continuing MacLean's work IMO. At what point are we going to try to bring some experience into this organization?

Ottawa has lots of experience in their organization BM has been around hockey his whole life, Wamsley is a former Stanley Cup winner with Montreal, Steve Sterling has been around for a long time & Jason Smith, Luke Richardson & DC have all played in the NHL, Luke for 17 yrs. How much more experience do you need? PM came from the Detroit system that most on here loved, maybe they just simply don't have the right players?

What I am wondering is why we didn't try to snag Babcock out from under Toronto's nose. We should have fired Cameron and just offered Babcock partial ownership to come and coach this young group of talent.

First, I doubt Melnyk is going to paying any coach $50 mil & I wouldn't be surprised if Babcock is fired by the end of his contract. Second, even with the so called best coach in hockey Toronto is the worse team in the NHL. Which proves it doesn't matter how good a coach is, you need good players who buy into your system & execute it the way it is designed to win consistently. All 30 teams are trying to this & in the end only one does it best & usually it is the team with some of the world's best players.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Ottawa has lots of experience in their organization BM has been around hockey his whole life, Wamsley is a former Stanley Cup winner with Montreal, Steve Sterling has been around for a long time & Jason Smith, Luke Richardson & DC have all played in the NHL, Luke for 17 yrs. How much more experience do you need? PM came from the Detroit system that most on here loved, maybe they just simply don't have the right players?

A head coach with some sort of success in this league.

I understand that it isn't everything, but there's a common trend with all the coaches we've had in the last 9 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad