Official Bryan Murray Discussion Thread

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
You're not dumb, you're just loyal to Murray. Like Murray is loyal to long term Sens players.

Loyalty matters.
From me as a long term vocal fan and season ticket holder.

And to Neil.

I don't think Murray is magic. I think he is pretty darn good and decent.

That is my opinion. Others can have valid points too.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Loyalty matters.

And to Neil.

I agree with you. :handclap:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Loyalty matters.

And to Neil.

Loyalty matter to a certain degree. But we're not trying to run a retirement home. The team is trying to win. Sometimes you have to make some tough, seemingly disloyal, decision. See the WSH Laich situation.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
What is his plan?

Would an above average GM not have won more than 1 playoff series in 8 years?

Would an above average GM have to hire 5 coaches in 8 years? With most fans calling for the current one to be fired?

Or were all the good moves on Murray, and the bad ones on Melnyk?

At some point, the GM needs to be made responsible for some of the lack of success. Blaming the coaches has gotten tiresome and the man who hired them is guilty of that.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I may have read that wrong, but I got the impression that Melnyk wanted Neil re-signed.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Definitely there are times when you have to make tough, seemingly disloyal decisions, as with Laich and perhaps with Spezza. But the Sens, with Neil, at this time, doesnt seem to be one of those situations to me.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Murray seemed to get good deals on Pageau, Stone and Zibby last offseason. great long term with Turris and EK.

Pageau, Stone, Zibby and EK were all RFAs with limited negotiating power. I'm happy with all of them but let's face it: unless you're a young superstar, the chances of you hitting it out of the ballpark with your second contract are very slim. Even PK Subban was only making like 2.5 or 3 on his bridge deal.

Turris deal was fantastic and I'll give him full credit there.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Pageau, Stone, Zibby and EK were all RFAs with limited negotiating power. I'm happy with all of them but let's face it: unless you're a young superstar, the chances of you hitting it out of the ballpark with your second contract are very slim. Even PK Subban was only making like 2.5 or 3 on his bridge deal.

Turris deal was fantastic and I'll give him full credit there.

Consider the full deal: 1st round pick that could have been Tarasenko, for Rundblad. Then Rundblad and a 2012 round 2 pick for Turris.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Consider the full deal: 1st round pick that could have been Tarasenko, for Rundblad. Then Rundblad and a 2012 round 2 pick for Turris.
ultimate-warrior-splash-hulk-hogan-hogan-misses-leg-drop-o.gif

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If Murray gets Drouin or Yakupov and they rekindle their game and be top line players then his legacy will be remembered in best possible way imagineable.

IMO we become contenders with Drouin/Yakupov becoming top 3 player and we're literally set through-out the roster.

Even more so if he doesn't give up Chabot/White.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yeah if Nail is acquired and breaks out playing in the Sens top 6, he'd be the perfect piece to fill out the top 6, and the forward corps would set:

2017/18

Yakupov - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
MacArthur - Pageau - White
Puempel - Paul - Lazar
Dzingel

Top 5 forward group in the league.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I may have read that wrong, but I got the impression that Melnyk wanted Neil re-signed.

....and that is the missing piece of the puzzle.

Every GM in the league wants to build a champion. Everyone wants to win. How many other GMs have to be handcuffed with both budget limitations and a meddling owner? There are maybe 2-3 other teams in the league with that limitation.

How do people expect Murray to hit a home run with one hand always tied behind his back?

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
If Murray gets Drouin or Yakupov and they rekindle their game and be top line players then his legacy will be remembered in best possible way imagineable.

IMO we become contenders with Drouin/Yakupov becoming top 3 player and we're literally set through-out the roster.

Even more so if he doesn't give up Chabot/White.

Yakupov's chance of becoming a top 3 player is negligible. I like Yak but he doesn't have the hockey IQ to be a top line player.

Yakupov would be a good fit though, he's definitely a high character guy.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016

It's so annoying when people bring this up. Especially when they phrase it like "Murray traded Tarasenko for Rundblad!" Jesus Christ, they weren't drafting Russian players at the time due to the league's logistical issues with the KHL. Plenty of really smart teams passed on him despite the fact he was probably in the top 5 on most draft boards. Even St. Louis didn't draft him with their first pick! They took Jaden Schwartz two picks earlier before trading with Ottawa.

EDIT: And when I said "Turris Deal" I was referring to the extension.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
^ And choosing not to re-sign him wouldn't be a disloyal move. They signed him to a four-year contract and paid every dollar they owed him. They lived up to their end up the deal.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
....and that is the missing piece of the puzzle.

Every GM in the league wants to build a champion. Everyone wants to win. How many other GMs have to be handcuffed with both budget limitations and a meddling owner? There are maybe 2-3 other teams in the league with that limitation.

How do people expect Murray to hit a home run with one hand always tied behind his back?

Every team has a budget of some sort there is 12-20 teams that don't have a free for all meaning they can spend like its candy.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Loyalty matter to a certain degree. But we're not trying to run a retirement home. The team is trying to win. Sometimes you have to make some tough, seemingly disloyal, decision. See the WSH Laich situation.

Washington is all-in this year. We are not.

How are the substantial differences in context always glossed over by so many here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad