[Official] Around the NHL 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2014
wow the Horvat hypetrain is incredible. You have all these Canucks fans claiming how much of a two-way "beast" he is and how he goes against other teams' top lines when that's far from the truth. One guy even went as far as how he'd place Horvat before JG in the calder race because of the two-way game he brings, really?!

I mean I like Horvat and think he'll turn out to be a player you win championships with, but damn they need to pump the brakes.

makes me feel warm and fuzzy that we have moneyman himself doing exactly what those fans say Horvat would do, while having the ability to score 30 goals, all at the age of 20

It's all they got.
He's an elite defender playing 3rd line minutes. But he's prorated at scoring more ES points than JG. :facepalm:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
And the Leafs come away from this game with twice as much pride as the Sabres

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Woah... Quite the term for Boychuk. Good for him and the Isles though, he's happy to be there.

Aug 21, 2014
I'm just happy, he's not headed to EDM :naughty:

Honestly, in someone in Boychuk's position. You got your cup, great deal in NYC. Know try to win another one.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
A little long, but a good deal for Boychuk and the Isles. Was reading the thread in the Trades & Signings board and Isles fans are rightfully overjoyed at this signing.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
You know what's pretty incredible? In 1 season, Garth Snow, went from a laughing stock to being a genius.
Given his track record if you were the new owner, would you keep him or fire him and hire your own guy?

Aug 21, 2014
You know what's pretty incredible? In 1 season, Garth Snow, went from a laughing stock to being a genius.
Given his track record if you were the new owner, would you keep him or fire him and hire your own guy?

You keep him, he's getting you playoff revenue.

Aug 3, 2010
Just goes to show how important having a good ownership is. Wirtz in Chicago, Wang in New York, Snider in Philadelphia… the ability of ownership to completely hogtie their team from succeeding is oft understated.

I still laugh at how well Snow and the Islanders have done for themselves in the FA/trade market recently, simply because MacTavish was in the same position to pull many of these moves to put the Oilers in serious contention… but he signs Fayne and Nikitin and Perron and Fasth instead of getting Halak, Boychuk, Leddy, etc. Where I would have said the Islanders and Oilers were on somewhat-similar trajectories three seasons ago, in the space of 1.5 seasons everything has changed.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Just goes to show how important having a good ownership is. Wirtz in Chicago, Wang in New York, Snider in Philadelphia… the ability of ownership to completely hogtie their team from succeeding is oft understated.

I still laugh at how well Snow and the Islanders have done for themselves in the FA/trade market recently, simply because MacTavish was in the same position to pull many of these moves to put the Oilers in serious contention… but he signs Fayne and Nikitin and Perron and Fasth instead of getting Halak, Boychuk, Leddy, etc.

There is so much more wrong with the Oilers than there was with the Isles though, lol. Signing Halak, Boychuck, and Leddy wouldn't have made much difference when Dallas Eakins had free reign to butcher everything.

Aug 3, 2010
There is so much more wrong with the Oilers than there was with the Isles though, lol. Signing Halak, Boychuck, and Leddy wouldn't have made much difference when Dallas Eakins had free reign to butcher everything.

Ah yes, Dallas "10-year-guy" Eakins. I can't believe MacTavish said that to the press... and then fires him something like 1 or 2 months later.
And fires Ralph Krueger, undisputedly their best coach in the last decade or so regarding rebuilding status, over Skype.

Nevermind having trouble attracting free agents, MacTavish is making that head coach position pretty unsavoury.

-----

Off-topic, but I was wondering what you guys think of this:

If the Oilers were to draft somewhere in the 3-5 range this off-season, and you were the acting GM (in their best interests, not burning and salting the earth as a Flames fan) would you trade that pick if you could get Sean Couturier for it? Do you feel Philadelphia does this?

I'm asking because I think the Oilers aren't looking to draft Hanifin. IMO, they need a centre - and there's not many available for a low first-round pick straight up that have been deemed "legitimate first-liners", so someone like Sean Couturier would be interesting, with the style of play and defensive acumen he could bring to a starving Oilers team. I feel like Philadelphia would think long and hard about it, as they could use a young blue-chip defence prospect like Hanifin.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

If the Oilers were to draft somewhere in the 3-5 range this off-season, and you were the acting GM (in their best interests, not burning and salting the earth as a Flames fan) would you trade that pick if you could get Sean Couturier for it? Do you feel Philadelphia does this?

I'm asking because I think the Oilers aren't looking to draft Hanifin. IMO, they need a centre - and there's not many available for a low first-round pick straight up that have been deemed "legitimate first-liners", so someone like Sean Couturier would be interesting, with the style of play and defensive acumen he could bring to a starving Oilers team. I feel like Philadelphia would think long and hard about it, as they could use a young blue-chip defence prospect like Hanifin.

There would be three situations I would look at if I were the acting GM of the Oilers.

The first option is to use the 3-5 pick and select Noah Hanifin (or a defender of some stature). I still maintain that the Oilers need a #1 defenseman. Yes, they have Nurse, but why bank on one guy when you can hedge your bets? Plus on the chance that both turn out, Hanifin-Nurse would be killer.

The second option is to trade that 3-5 pick for a defenseman (let's say a guy like Brodie, for the sake of argument). Trade the pick for Brodie, allow Draisaitl the time he needs to develop, then go from there.

Or the third option, like you say, which is to trade that 3-5 pick for Sean Couturier. That allows you the freedom to pursue other options like trading a Draisaitl or even a more proven guy like Eberle for help on the backend.

Either way you cut it, the Oilers need help in plenty of areas. That's how I would approach the situation anyways.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
-----

Honestly, I would rather draft Hanifin/Barzal with the pick then trade it for Couts. They do have Draisaitl waiting to be their version of Couts, just needs to be developed properly. Barzal is looking like a legit 1st liner/elite 2nd. Hanifin is heads and shoulders the best D in the draft. The team isn't good as is, even though they've been playing moderately better as of late, but still. They need an elite D prospect, like a legit #1. Nurse has the tools to be a good #2 great #3, but the lack of that elite D is definitely there.

Also, they should have been all over Fucale when they traded Petry. Fucale could be their future starter easily. Price has the net for the next 10 years. Scrivens and Fasth are good, but not 55+ game starter material.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Gio is going to get paid. I like the signing by the Isles but Gio is looking at 7.5M+. Probably take a discount for around 7ish. Still.
I'd be surprised if it's less than 8M per.
as long as it's not over a 6 year deal.
Burke and presumably Treliving don't do contracts over 5 years.

8M per over 5 years probably is a discount for Giordano.

As for Boychuk, it's a little long but the cap hit is fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad