[Official] Around the NHL 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In other news, Semin did something actually quite incredible:

It bugs me how many replays the commentators needed in order to see that that was an amazing play.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
wow the Horvat hypetrain is incredible. You have all these Canucks fans claiming how much of a two-way "beast" he is and how he goes against other teams' top lines when that's far from the truth. One guy even went as far as how he'd place Horvat before JG in the calder race because of the two-way game he brings, really?!

I mean I like Horvat and think he'll turn out to be a player you win championships with, but damn they need to pump the brakes.

makes me feel warm and fuzzy that we have moneyman himself doing exactly what those fans say Horvat would do, while having the ability to score 30 goals, all at the age of 20

May 27, 2012
Earth
wow the Horvat hypetrain is incredible. You have all these Canucks fans claiming how much of a two-way "beast" he is and how he goes against other teams' top lines when that's far from the truth. One guy even went as far as how he'd place Horvat before JG in the calder race because of the two-way game he brings, really?!

I mean I like Horvat and think he'll turn out to be a player you win championships with, but damn they need to pump the brakes.

makes me feel warm and fuzzy that we have moneyman himself doing exactly what those fans say Horvat would do, while having the ability to score 30 goals, all at the age of 20

Well to be fair, our center depth was poop before we drafted Monohan. Monahan was able to play more as a result and took advantage of the playing and scored 6 in 9 games. I mean... we lost Jokinen and had Stajan and Backlund leftover. Cammy was forced to play C at certain points in the season The Nucks had Sedin,Kesler and Santorelli that season. Santorelli played well that season that he was carrying the 2nd line at one point. Just looked at last season's line and our C depth was Colborne, Backlund, Monahan and Street. Stajan was injured then.

Monahan was able to improve because he played in the NHL last season. The same could be said for Horvat after this one.

Still I agree in the Calder discussion that is a bit ridiculous but from a hockey standpoint the Canucks have good player in their hands.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

It's pretty funny but to be fair to them hes the best prospect they have had in a long, long time and he does play a great two-way game. Let them have their moment I guess is what I am saying. :laugh:

Kovaz

Jul 1, 2014

The funniest part is that the stats don't back that up at all. IIRC Horvat's ~9th among Canucks forwards in quality of competition metrics and gets sheltered offensive zone starts, and still does poorly in Corsi.

I mean, I'm sure he'll be a really good player, but he's clearly not there yet.

May 27, 2012
Earth
The funniest part is that the stats don't back that up at all. IIRC Horvat's ~9th among Canucks forwards in quality of competition metrics and gets sheltered offensive zone starts, and still does poorly in Corsi.

I mean, I'm sure he'll be a really good player, but he's clearly not there yet.

Same thing happened with Monahan last season. Sheltering seems like it's a bad thing.He still plays against NHL quality players. Corsi doesn't tell you the whole story.It gives you an idea but in order to understand you have to watch the team/player play.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Well to be fair, our center depth was poop before we drafted Monohan. Monahan was able to play more as a result and took advantage of the playing and scored 6 in 9 games. I mean... we lost Jokinen and had Stajan and Backlund leftover. Cammy was forced to play C at certain points in the season The Nucks had Sedin,Kesler and Santorelli that season. Santorelli played well that season that he was carrying the 2nd line at one point. Just looked at last season's line and our C depth was Colborne, Backlund, Monahan and Street. Stajan was injured then.

Monahan was able to improve because he played in the NHL last season. The same could be said for Horvat after this one.

Still I agree in the Calder discussion that is a bit ridiculous but from a hockey standpoint the Canucks have good player in their hands.
I said I like Horvat and think he'll be a good player lol. My post was more or less gloating about our 20 year center that's been able to do everything, not crapping on Horvat. Because it's not easy to do what Monahan's been able to do as a top line center just because he's played in the NHL before, plus the sophomore slump and all. Did I mention he's only 20?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I said I like Horvat and think he'll be a good player lol. My post was more or less gloating about our 20 year center that's been able to do everything, not crapping on Horvat. Because it's not easy to do what Monahan's been able to do as a top line center just because he's played in the NHL before, plus the sophomore slump and all. Did I mention he's only 20?

He also has great hair.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like Horvat, I think he's going to be really good and I definitely agree that he was a good pick. But I'm not sure if he's going to be a Daymond Langkow or a Ryan Kesler type player. Monahan is in a whole other class as of right now though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like Horvat, I think he's going to be really good and I definitely agree that he was a good pick. But I'm not sure if he's going to be a Daymond Langkow or a Ryan Kesler type player. Monahan is in a whole other class as of right now though.

I don't think you can even think of comparing the two. I don't know how much higher Monahan's ceiling is; but a 30 goal, 65 point center is really, really hard to come by in this league.

Bo Horvat, when he was drafted, I think everyone knew he was going to be an NHLer. There are certain guys you pick that just play like NHLers and find their way into the league easier than others. His IQ is great and he has the frame to play with the big boys. He lacks high end offensive potential and footspeed to be a regular top liner in this league... But he will be a very, very serviceable 2/3C in the NHL for a long time, probably a 50-55 point centre in his prime.

For them to also mention JG... And the Calder... I mean give me a break, he's going to eclipse 50 points in his first NHL season, and I have a feeling he will continue to improve as his body and conditioning continue to improve as a pro.

After all of this... I think it's just fun being a Flames fan, you get to gush about your prospects; and the highest tier one isn't even in the NHL yet lol.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Personally I think he will be similar to what we have in Backlund but closer to a 50 point player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Personally I think he will be similar to what we have in Backlund but closer to a 50 point player.

I actually think Langkow and Backlund are quite similar, Backlund might even have a couple of 70 point seasons in him during his prime to. Backlund is more skilled though where Lanks played more of a gritty game, so the Horvat comparison there is probably a good one on your end. I think you're looking at a very good, but not elite 2C.

SR, **** man I know. I can't believe Philly this year, I thought they were a definite playoff team and they totally screwed me in my fantasy leagues this 2nd half of the season.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It amuses me how SN is trying to sell us on this idea of pride being on the line tonight between the Sabres and Leafs

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It amuses me how SN is trying to sell us on this idea of pride being on the line tonight between the Sabres and Leafs

I can picture John Shannon saying something absurd like that. Cause you know, neither team had enough pride to give a damn the rest of the season, but this is game... this is the one that counts.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I mean, how else are you going to sell it?

"Two of the biggest loser franchises in the league going toe to toe. One doesn't care enough to compete or buy into their coaches systems; the other: an AHL lineup"
<insert images of the jersey on the ice>
<quick flashes of the head up in the air after a bad goal>
<Cody Hodgson in the press box>

Of course all of this over a slick guitar riff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad