Jan 26, 2004
The posts Xmas schedule is

12/28 at Florida
12/29 at TB
1/2 Pit
1/4 NYI
1/6 StL
1/7 Buf

Then a five day break. The WJC gold medal game is on 1/5, so he'd miss six games at most.

That's like 38 total mins of icetime,,,He'd get that in 2 WJHC games. Only reason I would want him on TC is to be back playing in all situations with not Dale Weise

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The posts Xmas schedule is

12/28 at Florida
12/29 at TB
1/2 Pit
1/4 NYI
1/6 StL
1/7 Buf

Then a five day break. The WJC gold medal game is on 1/5, so he'd miss six games at most.

He would also miss games pre-X-Mas because you need him to spend time with the team, running lines, etc...

Camp is 12-15th

Flyers play 7 games between 12th-23rd

You can't just drop him on the team on the 24th/25th. That would be bad for him and the team. Need time to build chemistry.

I don't expect them to let him go missing potentially 13 games.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Pastrnak played in the AHL on 12/19/15 and 12/22/15, so he wasn't loaned out till after the 2015 Christmas roster freeze.

TheAHL.com

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Yamamoto having an NHL hangover? 9 points in 10 games including a 4 point night in his 1st game back. I thought he would push 100 points this year even after missing the start of the season.

It's almost never a good idea to pull the extended 9 game charade over a couple months. Don't get into a rhythm, much game action anyway, feel rusty to start the year, then you toy with them emotionally. I don't think Hexy is totally off about the 9 game trials, but either make the games mostly consecutive right away or don't bother. I remember Barzal (far from the only one) started slow last year too after something similar.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Canada wouldn’t turn down Patrick if the Flyers released him close to the tournament. When you’re playing in the NHL your stock goes way up in Hockey Canada’s eyes just look at Virtanen & Lazar in recent years.

Reactions: Curufinwe

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Love the idea of sending Patrick down to play. Let him dominate, see if he can get a spark and bring it back to the NHL with him.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Doing it for the Czech is different than Canada. TC doesn't want guys "dropped" in from the NHL without going thru the team building parts.

True. Considering how much smaller our pool is, the Czechs would definitely have taken Pastrňák even if his airplane landed literally in front of the arena during the first period of the first Czech game.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Canada wouldn’t turn down Patrick if the Flyers released him close to the tournament. When you’re playing in the NHL your stock goes way up in Hockey Canada’s eyes just look at Virtanen & Lazar in recent years.
Those add ons have gotten lots of bad press up here in Canada for not working. And the one thing they point to is team building. But you are probably right in that they would not turn him down. But for sure they would be pushing for him to be released earlier than on the 24th.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Those add ons have gotten lots of bad press up here in Canada for not working. And the one thing they point to is team building. But you are probably right in that they would not turn him down. But for sure they would be pushing for him to be released earlier than on the 24th.

There’s a roster freeze for the NHL before the holiday that that starts at midnight on the 19th & runs through the 27th. So any player on an NHL roster would have to be released before that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There’s a roster freeze for the NHL before the holiday that that starts at midnight on the 19th & runs through the 27th. So any player on an NHL roster would have to be released before that.

So that means he would miss a min of 3 games before X-Mas as we play on the 18th.

He would miss a min of 9 games if released. I don't see them doing that.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't see a clear cut favorite. All the teams look pretty solid at the top. Sweden is always good. Finland has a great blueline on paper and a lot of young talent. Canada may not have a star, but a lot of depth as usual and Hart could be the best goalie in the tournament. USA is on home ice and look to have another good team. Russia under Bragin is always tough to beat at this level.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I'm between Sweden and Finland. Finland is stacked with NHL draft picks and is always a goalie factory.

Is anyone doing a WJC pool this year? We must be close to draft time, given how long they usually take. I'd volunteer to run it, but I don't think I'd be able to run it a fraction as well as it's been run in the past.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm between Sweden and Finland. Finland is stacked with NHL draft picks and is always a goalie factory.

Is anyone doing a WJC pool this year? We must be close to draft time, given how long they usually take. I'd volunteer to run it, but I don't think I'd be able to run it a fraction as well as it's been run in the past.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that again too.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I would not send NP to the WJC. Too much can go wrong. Remember the Flyers brass wouldn't be in charge of the lineup so depending who is there he may not be getting the minutes you want. Not to mention those seeking a "confidence boost" by sending him there could have that backfire as well. First off taking a hit by getting sent to play there, then if he doesn't come in and really light it up how does that help his confidence? No thanks no dice.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
If he stays in this rut for another week i'd send him if he's going to be a star player in this league he will show it during that tournament. Playing 10 minutes a night is useless

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I would not send NP to the WJC. Too much can go wrong. Remember the Flyers brass wouldn't be in charge of the lineup so depending who is there he may not be getting the minutes you want. Not to mention those seeking a "confidence boost" by sending him there could have that backfire as well. First off taking a hit by getting sent to play there, then if he doesn't come in and really light it up how does that help his confidence? No thanks no dice.
If he can't shine in a WJC, then wtf is he doing in the NHL?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If he can't shine in a WJC, then wtf is he doing in the NHL?
He may just have a bad week or be stuck with guys he doesn't click with. I certainly wouldn't expect it, but I don't understand the logic behind taking a kid out of the NHL and that somehow giving him more confidence. I would be much more concerned that sending him to WJC is going to be a negative rather than a positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad