Official 2018 HS Hockey Tourney Thread

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I'm old enough to remember Dave Spehar when he was playing high school. Duluth East used to come down and have some WARS with St. Paul Johnson back in the day. Spehar was so good. Then...it didn't really carry over to college, and I don't think he ever made it to the NHL.

46 goals is a lot of goals...and DE doesn't play a pushover for a schedule.

Going to the championship session tonight.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'm old enough to remember Dave Spehar when he was playing high school. Duluth East used to come down and have some WARS with St. Paul Johnson back in the day. Spehar was so good. Then...it didn't really carry over to college, and I don't think he ever made it to the NHL.

Should be a great game tonight. Both AA games were fun to watch last night. Only got to see the Alex v. Htown game of the A games.

Reactions: Northerner

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minnetonka was clearly on a different level.

Are the Centennial youth teams still among the best in the state (were they ever)?

I feel like I have heard that they win peewee and bantam level but have trouble carrying it over to high school.
They're OK, but not among the best, IMO

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Spehar didn't make the NHL but he was good in college - even made Sportscenter.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Spehar didn't make the NHL but he was good in college - even made Sportscenter.
He was "ok" in college. He found his little tricks didn't work so well there, couldn't get the room he created for himself in HS, and was unable to adapt his game thus he never got a sniff from the pros.

If he was good in college, he would've at least made it to minor league hockey , but he didn't even reach that.

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
Gotta go with Big dick Bobby and the Skips tonight he's just a total game changer.

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
Anyone know why Loheit is considered a Mr Hockey finalist? Haven't seen him play much but the fact he doesn't score much is interesting.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota

Damn....I still have that championship game on video tape. Yes kids...video tape. For you young guns, those were things that you put into a VCR. A VCR was.....eh....nevermind. ;)

Dude kicked arse in that tourney.

Meanwhile, screw you, Minnetonka! Go Duluth!!!!

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Duluth East is the Edina of the north. Def don't want them to win. At least Tonka rarely gets here because of such tough section. Lesser of two evils is Tonka.

ref88

Feb 14, 2018

Reffed Spehar's kid on Edina the other day.

Reactions: Northerner

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
He’s a sophomore. Don’t think they can.

I was just looking at his elite prospects profile. They've got him listed as 2019 draft eligible. He'll be 17 this time next season with a July birthday, so he's on the very young end, but still eligible, if I'm not mistaken. Sure he's a sophmore? That'd be pretty crazy going to school for your senior year knowing that you're playing hockey as an NHL drafted prospect.

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
I was just looking at his elite prospects profile. They've got him listed as 2019 draft eligible. He'll be 17 this time next season with a July birthday, so he's on the very young end, but still eligible, if I'm not mistaken. Sure he's a sophmore? That'd be pretty crazy going to school for your senior year knowing that you're playing hockey as an NHL drafted prospect.
So he's in the same boat as sammy Walker,Sammy has already been drafted by Tampa Bay.There's been others who were drafted after there junior year,Grant Besse for example as well as Aaron Ness,although Ness graduated early and was playing with the gophers in what would have been his senior season.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I’m not 100% but it’s what MN Hockey Hub says.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad