Official 2018 HS Hockey Tourney Thread

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He was "ok" in college. He found his little tricks didn't work so well there, couldn't get the room he created for himself in HS, and was unable to adapt his game thus he never got a sniff from the pros.

If he was good in college, he would've at least made it to minor league hockey , but he didn't even reach that.

What an ignorant comment. Almost ppg for three seasons at one of the nation's premier programs is "ok"? Guess you've been better. Go read the Athletic article about riding buses in the ECHL and inform yourself on what a hard life it is in the minors. If you can graduate from college and make a hell of a lot more money doing a profession, why would you play minor hockey at all? Not everyone has the skill to make millions in the NHL, or the passion to pursue that goal when it's extremely unlikely to happen. No need to slag guys who take a practical approach to living a happy life after they've hit their personal pinnacle in a sport.

Reactions: 2Pair

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I knew a guy who's Dad starred with the Sioux back in the 50"(60's?). John somebody or other. He was recruited by Gordie Howe to sign with the DRW. He turned them down, because he had a degree, and wanted to make some real money.

I think he played with Ralph Engelstad, i.e " The Ralph". My friend's Dad was the better player, but when asked why the arena wasn't named after him(besides the little matter of a few million $$), he said, "Who wants to go see a hockey game at "The John?""

I was curious, so looked it up, more to check my memory than anything. Turns out the guy was John Noah, who was on the first ND teams, and played on the 1952 Olympic team which won Silver.

Last edited:
Reactions: BagHead

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What an ignorant comment. Almost ppg for three seasons at one of the nation's premier programs is "ok"? Guess you've been better. Go read the Athletic article about riding buses in the ECHL and inform yourself on what a hard life it is in the minors. If you can graduate from college and make a hell of a lot more money doing a profession, why would you play minor hockey at all? Not everyone has the skill to make millions in the NHL, or the passion to pursue that goal when it's extremely unlikely to happen. No need to slag guys who take a practical approach to living a happy life after they've hit their personal pinnacle in a sport.
Is that why his senior season he had only 19pts in 39 games?

He was never within 10 points of the team's leading scorer... he was nothing special in college. He rode the coattails of better players for inflated stats, when those players left, and the team needed to rely on him, his game sank like a stone.

He wasn't "bad" in college, just wasn't anything special either... thus was "ok".

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Is there a Minnesota high school hockey thread here? It's really our minors...if there isn't, there should be.

I mean HS hockey is our State's "Juniors" to some degree.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Is there a Minnesota high school hockey thread here? It's really our minors...if there isn't, there should be.

I mean HS hockey is our State's "Juniors" to some degree.
I thought we used to have one, but maybe not. Feel free to start one if you'd like.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Can someone give me an idea how hard or easy State Tournament tickets are to get? Are they easy, hard - it depends - type of tickets to get? They're fairly affordable, but I am wondering if they are tough to get or not?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It really depends on what your connections are. If you are a HS booster, it's usually pretty easy. A Senior at HS, somewhat easy? After that, all bets are off. If you know someone who bought tickets, but who's team got knocked off early, then you can buy off them.

Not sure what they go for on the reseller's market.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Can someone give me an idea how hard or easy State Tournament tickets are to get? Are they easy, hard - it depends - type of tickets to get? They're fairly affordable, but I am wondering if they are tough to get or not?

As 57 said, it depends on your connections.

I have a friend who gets tickets every year from a friend who works for the MSHL and then gives away every game but Day 1 of AA and then the Championship games.

Couple coworkers have kids who go to Edina/EP/Lakeville and they get tickets through the school so there is basically no wait time

I know some folks who literally go and wait at the ticket office to open to buy tickets. The one year it was like Edina/EP in the Championship game, they waited for the entire Single A championship game to get tickets and there were still people ahead of them in line waiting for it.

Then I have a couple buddies on the waiting list. They have been on this list for 4 years so far and they've been told it'll probably be another 6-8 more years until their number will be called. One is currently #264 and the other is like #300ish.

The issue with getting tickets on that last one is people just don't give them up. There are folks I've sat by that have had tickets in their family for literally half a century.

Reactions: Northerner

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I thought we used to have one, but maybe not. Feel free to start one if you'd like.

Wondering about this 8th grader who is getting playing time for Hill Murray. The Moorhead coach on 'Dream.State." talks about how he has two points against them between periods. lol.

8th grader getting points against legit competition indicates to me this little kid is the real deal. Nick Pierre is his name. I wonder what city program he came out of.

MN Boys' Hockey Hub | MSHSL

Averaging over a point a game, playing or Hill, as an eighth grader.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
As 57 said, it depends on your connections.

I have a friend who gets tickets every year from a friend who works for the MSHL and then gives away every game but Day 1 of AA and then the Championship games.

Couple coworkers have kids who go to Edina/EP/Lakeville and they get tickets through the school so there is basically no wait time

I know some folks who literally go and wait at the ticket office to open to buy tickets. The one year it was like Edina/EP in the Championship game, they waited for the entire Single A championship game to get tickets and there were still people ahead of them in line waiting for it.

Then I have a couple buddies on the waiting list. They have been on this list for 4 years so far and they've been told it'll probably be another 6-8 more years until their number will be called. One is currently #264 and the other is like #300ish.

The issue with getting tickets on that last one is people just don't give them up. There are folks I've sat by that have had tickets in their family for literally half a century.

Ok. My dad is about to get his buddy's tickets, or at least he is the one in line when he gives them up. They are nice seats in the "handicap" zone on the lower level - nice amount of space and fantastic view of the ice.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wondering about this 8th grader who is getting playing time for Hill Murray. The Moorhead coach on 'Dream.State." talks about how he has two points against them between periods. lol.

8th grader getting points against legit competition indicates to me this little kid is the real deal. Nick Pierre is his name. I wonder what city program he came out of.

MN Boys' Hockey Hub | MSHSL

Averaging over a point a game, playing or Hill, as an eighth grader.
Being the real deal in 8th grade doesn't mean you will be the real deal in the pros.

Look at Jordan Schroeder.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Being the real deal in 8th grade doesn't mean you will be the real deal in the pros.

Look at Jordan Schroeder.

Depends on what you mean by that. In my world anyone who even sniffs the pros, let alone the NHL, or for that matter DI is the "real deal" that are infinitely more talented than your average Joe Hockeyplayer that there is.

As far as Schroeder, I think he got a raw deal and yes, he was probably too small for his own good. But he still got a raw deal.

My AD who I talked to a couple years ago said his son was told by Bill Lechner that he was not even going to play him as a freshman, and he is playing DI now (at Bemidji State). If Lechner is playing an 8th grader - granted these are different teams and there was possibly a little more talent at Hill when this kid I'm referring to was deciding where to go - it tells me that kid must have some chops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad